Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
I don't see Ford changing anything major to make an antenna work on a model that's about to be cut. Only one way to find out for sure is to get one and test (when it's actually available to order). Yes the 2019 Fusion's antenna is much smaller than the Edge/Explorer fin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I want to remind everyone that the factory antenna has 3 parts, a base that functions as a shark fin, the mast antenna that screws in to the base, and an additional FM antenna in the rear window. Before buying a shark fin, try just unscrewing your master antenna and see what signal you get.

I threw mine in the trunk after one month and noticed no decline in signal in AM/FM or satellite. And it looks even less obtrusive than the fin.

Was thinking of doing the shark fin swap until I read this post. I unscrewed the master antenna from the roof base Friday and since have noticed no difference in XM, FM, AM or NAV reception. Zero modifications and maybe looks better than a shark fin.

Two questions for anybody who knows:

1) what purpose does the antenna serve ?

2) should the hole in the base be filled or covered with something to prevent water/snow from getting in there ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My 2018 Explorer has a Shark Fin, but the only difference is the Explorer doesn't have HD Radio while the Fusion does, and the Fusion has SYNC Connect Telematics which uses a 4G LTE modem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Was thinking of doing the shark fin swap until I read this post. I unscrewed the master antenna from the roof base Friday and since have noticed no difference in XM, FM, AM or NAV reception. Zero modifications and maybe looks better than a shark fin.

2) should the hole in the base be filled or covered with something to prevent water/snow from getting in there ?

Hi DrunkLahey. The radio antenna allows your car to receive a better reception signal.

If you live in an area with strong radio signals, you will not notice much difference in reception by removing it. However, if you were to drive further from the signal source, you will lose the signal quicker than if the antenna is present.

If you drive around the same areas every day, don't usually venture far, and generally listen to stations with strong signals in your area, you'll have no problems, since you seem to live in a strong signal area. However, you will not receive stations with weaker signals. And if you take a long trip, you will lose radio stations sooner than you will with an antenna. And without the antenna, you won't receive new signals until you drive closer to the source on a trip.

If I were you, I would just leave the antenna in place. However, if it is bothering you and you want to remove it, then yes, you should cover and protect the antenna base from the elements.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
The 2018 and below Fusion antenna with the mast uses the mast as the FM/AM antenna, and the window defroster as a sort of backup antenna to get better signal. The 2019+ Fusion and the Edge/Explorer fin antenna have a wire pattern covering the entire inside of the entire plastic cover (that replaces the mast), so you still have two antennas. I saw someone report, I forget who, that FM signal decreased noticeably in a city environment but more open areas were OK with the mast removed.

The Explorer not having HD Radio is just a lack of functionality of the ACM. Same antenna technology. Both antennas have FM/AM antennas on the outside (either the mast or the wire pattern), and inside attached to the base is the satellite radio and GPS antenna modules.

Plugging the hole would probably be a good idea to keep the threads from oxidizing or rusting, but I doubt it'll hurt anything if you don't - they're sealed pretty good.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The 2018 and below Fusion antenna with the mast uses the mast as the FM/AM antenna, and the window defroster as a sort of backup antenna to get better signal. The 2019+ Fusion and the Edge/Explorer fin antenna have a wire pattern covering the entire inside of the entire plastic cover (that replaces the mast), so you still have two antennas. I saw someone report, I forget who, that FM signal decreased noticeably in a city environment but more open areas were OK with the mast removed.

The Explorer not having HD Radio is just a lack of functionality of the ACM. Same antenna technology. Both antennas have FM/AM antennas on the outside (either the mast or the wire pattern), and inside attached to the base is the satellite radio and GPS antenna modules.

Plugging the hole would probably be a good idea to keep the threads from oxidizing or rusting, but I doubt it'll hurt anything if you don't - they're sealed pretty good.

The reason I mentioned the 2018 Explorer is because my 2018 XLT does not have HD Radio and does not have SYNC Connect 4G LTE, so it has the shark fin. I've seen the 2018 Explorer XLT/Limited/Sports with the Shark Fin and mast. I have to assume they have the SYNC Connect because that's the only other difference that could explain the additional mast antenna especially on the Explorer Sport as most people or dealers that buy that model would get the SYNC Connect option/package.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2018-explorer-antenna.472107/

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
The reason I mentioned the 2018 Explorer is because my 2018 XLT does not have HD Radio and does not have SYNC Connect 4G LTE, so it has the shark fin. I've seen the 2018 Explorer XLT/Limited/Sports with the Shark Fin and mast. I have to assume they have the SYNC Connect because that's the only other difference that could explain the additional mast antenna especially on the Explorer Sport as most people or dealers that buy that model would get the SYNC Connect option/package.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2018-explorer-antenna.472107/
Oh yeah, I've seen those! I had a 2018 Explorer Limited as a rental for 3 weeks a few months ago, it had everything you mentioned (HD Radio, Sirius, and Sync Connect (not sure why a rental had that but whatever)). It didn't have the mast on the fin tho. I too wondered what that was for, I've seen a few on the road. The fact my rental didn't is odd. Not sure what it's for.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Oh yeah, I've seen those! I had a 2018 Explorer Limited as a rental for 3 weeks a few months ago, it had everything you mentioned (HD Radio, Sirius, and Sync Connect (not sure why a rental had that but whatever)). It didn't have the mast on the fin tho. I too wondered what that was for, I've seen a few on the road. The fact my rental didn't is odd. Not sure what it's for.

Are you sure it had SYNC Connect? Connect is that 4G LTE telematics system you access with your Ford Pass phone app. You can remote start/lock/unlock the car via the app. Basically a bass ackwards primitive version of GM's On-Star app/telematics that is far better and has been active for years before Ford trickled it out on some 2017s, and made it more available on 2018 and beyond.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Are you sure it had SYNC Connect? Connect is that 4G LTE telematics system you access with your Ford Pass phone app. You can remote start/lock/unlock the car via the app. Basically a bass ackwards primitive version of GM's On-Star app/telematics that is far better and has been active for years before Ford trickled it out on some 2017s, and made it more available on 2018 and beyond.
Yes I know what Sync Connect is. Like I said it was a long-term rental so I actually set it up since I ordered my Sport without it. Was an Enterprise rental with just over 2,000 miles, so they probably picked a left-over from a dealer lot.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I swapped it with a 2” Ronin stubby: https://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=385&pictureid=1447

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi DrunkLahey. The radio antenna allows your car to receive a better reception signal.

If you live in an area with strong radio signals, you will not notice much difference in reception by removing it. However, if you were to drive further from the signal source, you will lose the signal quicker than if the antenna is present.

If you drive around the same areas every day, don't usually venture far, and generally listen to stations with strong signals in your area, you'll have no problems, since you seem to live in a strong signal area. However, you will not receive stations with weaker signals. And if you take a long trip, you will lose radio stations sooner than you will with an antenna. And without the antenna, you won't receive new signals until you drive closer to the source on a trip.

If I were you, I would just leave the antenna in place. However, if it is bothering you and you want to remove it, then yes, you should cover and protect the antenna base from the elements.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Thanks for the info bbf2530.

I listen to XM 100% of the time and no signal issues in last 4 days. Time will tell if that continues. I drive through some remote areas too. I'm sure I'd notice a digression in signal strength maybe more in areas with mountains and such. Maybe a bigger issue in bad weather I'll have to watch for that. I think for now I'll leave the antenna off and just carry in car. Only takes 5 seconds to put back on. I cut a piece of black electric tape to cover the antenna base its barely noticeable other than its gloss black and the base is a flat black. The antenna is just too long looks ridiculous IMO better off if you don't need it. I plan to wrap my roof black gloss.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Reactions: ingotsport

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm ok with 2". That looks good. Gonna order one thanks alot ingotsport.
It’s not advertised for the Fusion, just fyi...it’s the focus st...I reached out to them to see if it was the same for the fusion, they didn’t have a fusion to test fit so couldn’t say for sure, I bought it anyway after looking up ford part numbers for the oem whip and they were the same. I just wish the logo would have centered up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm ok with 2". That looks good. Gonna order one thanks alot ingotsport.
Did this with a different shorty on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FGZD1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (wanted the shortest one I could find). Basically looks like the other post... just more nipply. Comes with a couple different threaded adapters. If I could find a plug, I'd try that instead.

Radio reception was unchanged... got more than 60 miles (on a main highway) from the Seattle stations before I started to get static (haven't gone into the mountains with it yet). Don't use satellite, so can't compare effectiveness of the other features. Of course, your location may affect this differently.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did this with a different shorty on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FGZD1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (wanted the shortest one I could find). Basically looks like the other post... just more nipply. Comes with a couple different threaded adapters. If I could find a plug, I'd try that instead.

Radio reception was unchanged... got more than 60 miles (on a main highway) from the Seattle stations before I started to get static (haven't gone into the mountains with it yet). Don't use satellite, so can't compare effectiveness of the other features. Of course, your location may affect this differently.

The shorter the better thanks. Funny its $8 on Amazon.com and $45 on Amazon.ca.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Satellite shouldn't be affected, as the receiver is in the large base of the antenna. The removable mast is only for AM/FM.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
13 Posts
The shorter the better thanks. Funny its $8 on Amazon.com and $45 on Amazon.ca.
If you end up getting one, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the reception. I'm thinking about getting a 2" Cravenspeed Stubby Jr, as a less expensive alternative to going with a Sharkfin.

I'm in Canada, so I'm also faced with paying a fair bit more and wouldn't mind a bit more feedback before I decide. (The Amazon reviews are a real mixed bag, but I figure they're from several different types of car, which would likely skew the results)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts