Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I want to remind everyone that the factory antenna has 3 parts, a base that functions as a shark fin, the mast antenna that screws in to the base, and an additional FM antenna in the rear window. Before buying a shark fin, try just unscrewing your master antenna and see what signal you get.

I threw mine in the trunk after one month and noticed no decline in signal in AM/FM or satellite. And it looks even less obtrusive than the fin.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wow I missed out a bit yesterday. My bad. If I were to do it again I’d get the edge one! Not sure how my guy lined it up but I just had my vinyl wrap guy put it on when he did my roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
If anyone is interested, the part number for the Edge Shark Fin has changed... again...

JJ7Z-18936-AAPTM

This is for Sync 3 with Navigation.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is ford still putting those dopey RC car antenna looking things on the new 2019 fusions?? My god Fusion get no respect

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is ford still putting those dopey RC car antenna looking things on the new 2019 fusions?? My god Fusion get no respect

I saw a shot from the Detroit Auto Show of a 2019, and it had a shark fin.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Saw the 2019 Fusion at the NY Auto Show, the fin is smaller than the Edge/Explorer fin. I thought it looked too small for the size of the Fusion, personally. Still better than the stick antenna, tho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I can tell you is that while it's a lot less intrusive than it appears in the product photos, I had a **** of a time getting VG to actually ship me mine. I ordered it on Apr. 29. They said it had a two week lead time. 3 weeks later, I get no shipping confirmation. I reply to the sales email I received with my order confirmation. No response. I contact them directly the following week, (via email, they have no phone number, and we're now at 1 month waiting). 3 days later I get a reply back saying they lost my order. (They later clarified in a second email after I pressed them that I haven't received anything, but they definitely charged my card). Their second reply the following day said that the order showed as shipped, but they didn't have a tracking number and they'd make me a new one and send it ASAP. Another week goes by, (5.5 weeks total), and when it arrives, the 3M tape on the bottom is torn, the protective strip is missing on a quarter of it, and half of it is stuck to the bubble wrap.

Deeply disappointed considering I loved my one I got from them for my '12. At least the paint looks great.

Thankfully I had some 3M tape sheets from a different project, and I was able to create a new 'gasket' around it. The reception on it is fantastic, though. I haven't lost any signal quality at all from XM or GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
VG? So its an aftermarket offering? Are these the ones that "cover" the old antenna base so you dont have to remove it ?

·
Registered
83 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Guys who have done the Edge shark fin: did you use a silicon sealer around the base to prevent leaks? The fin has a rubber seal along the bottom (which Ford body painted part of, not the contact surface, but still). I'm just unsure if I should trust it to seal completely.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Guys who have done the Edge shark fin: did you use a silicon sealer around the base to prevent leaks? The fin has a rubber seal along the bottom (which Ford body painted part of, not the contact surface, but still). I'm just unsure if I should trust it to seal completely.
I just used the straight ribber seal, no silicone sealer. My body shop painted the outside seal a little bit, just wiggle the rubber with your finger and the paint cracked off the rubber. That outside seal keeps most water out, the tripple seal on the inside around the bolt is what really keeps it from leaking.

Reactions: AisFbyM and dwyke

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Jesus that shark fin looks humongous

Yeah, considering it has to fit over most antenna bases, its not small. It looked way too big to me, personally. I ordered it a long time ago before we started the Edge antennas, and ended up returning it right away. I was not a fan at all, and the price they charged for it just made me upset.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, not to brag, Ford body didn't charge me for the paint job. They were painting an Explorer with my paint color yesterday and just did it at the same time. Got lucky.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Wow, you're lucky. I asked them to do the same and they agreed, but after 2.5 months they never got a Magnetic colored car in, so I ended up paying. Still wasn't too bad.

Reactions: dwyke

·
Registered
248 Posts
Done. 30 minutes total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought one off aliexpress similar to VG. Identical design just costed me $20. AM/FM/Nav all works as expected.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have mine for sale in magnetic if anyone is interested, $100 shipped.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts