• 18 sport

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • 19 sport

Votes: 6 35.3%
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Let's not forget that the 2019's also get LED puddle lights from the factory and a rear defuser. Calling the 2019 "DE contented" is just not true and that term needs to stop being used.
Four words: "Rear door Intelligent Access".

I'm sorry, but that's decontenting. It is what it is. Like I've said before, the different years have WAY more in common than they have differences, and again, it's a personal choice. The LED puddle lamps are a nice feature of 19s! But I can add those to an 18 without it being too much of a problem. I've not seen anyone add rear-door Intelligent Access to a 2019 though. I imagine that would be a fair amount of work. Honestly, you could technically add anything, from any year, to any of these cars, because the platform is the same. So if you're willing to do the work you can do it. But my point is that, for me, the 18 made the most sense. I understand the appeal of all of the different years. It just depends on what a given person wants. They're mostly the same anyhow. But let's be real, when Ford is removing features that IS decontenting. I don't like it, but I understand why they do it. It is what it is, though.

Reactions: DaMiFo and Fozzy

·
Registered
645 Posts
@dhananjaygowda, I agrees that both of your choices are good ones. I don't think you can go wrong.

One of the things
I look at when buying a used car are the tires. Why buy a car if you are going to have to turn around an buy new set of shoes. Putting a new set of good tires on this car will run you in excess of $800 or $900. So, just something else to look at. Usually, if the car is CPO, the tires have to meet a certain tread depth. If either of the previous owners were car enthusiast, then neither of these cars should have the factory tires (they suck) on them, but if they do this is something to consider.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
I don't know if the 17 and 18 are this way... But the biggest difference I know of is the 19 comes with Ford Co-Pilot 360. I think it is just a fancy way of saying it comes with everything by default the 17 and 18 had to be upgraded to, BUT... this is a BIG BUT SO PLEASE OTHERS Reply to this with 17s and 18s as this is my open Question!
Do the 17s and 18s still get Sync 3 updates?
My 19 Sport is currently getting updates better then my 19 Explorer XLT. My Sport is on 3.4, and Explorer is 3.0 or something. 3.4 has the blue screen (I enabled night time display for day too), and the color scheme looks a lot like Sync4 (at least to me). I think my Sport actually received an update 2 weeks ago.... Told me it was just updated as I pulled out of the driveway.
For me, I wish I had some of the decontented features like the 110v, and trunk handle, but I can easily add those. So happy I am still getting Sync3 updates.

Edit: I forgot, my biggest disappointment is missing the "Rear door Intelligent Access" as I was used to using them on my previous two Fusions.

Edit2: The biggest reason I wanted a 19 was that I didn't want to deal with someone else's car that wasn't taken care of. But I bought mine new when I could only find a handful of new ones left, on the day Michigan shut down for the Pandmeic.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Engineer.
i will have to check in my 2019 but I am pretty sure I have a duct in the back between the seats. You can look a various places on the internet and get different information i have even seen the manufacturer site as having the wrong information, It seems more and more that there is also less information on the manufactures site, they always check with your local dealer. They want you to be less informed before you go to the dealer so the dealer can make some money.
There is an air duct going to the back seat under the arm rest. I play with this a lot when my kids are mad about it being to cold (AC works well). There is also a 12v plug. ( I wish it had the 110v).

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Let's not forget that the 2019's also get LED puddle lights from the factory and a rear defuser. Calling the 2019 "DE contented" is just not true and that term needs to stop being used.
I didn't know the 17/18 Sports didn't have a defuser? I just washed my car today and made sure I got in all the tights places in the defuser. lol Thanks for mentioning it! Also didn't know that the others didn't have LED puddle lights. having LED lights is the only reason I haven't considered getting a fancy one off Amazon (example, FORD projected).

·
Registered
645 Posts
No, the 17 is stuck on the Sync 3, 3.0. As far as I know, we do not get any updates for it.

It is possible to update to 3.4, but it is a bootleg. I know some folks on here have done the change over. There are discussions about it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
No, the 17 is stuck on the Sync 3, 3.0. As far as I know, we do not get any updates for it.

It is possible to update to 3.4, but it is a bootleg. I know some folks on here have done the change over. There are discussions about it.
Hi maydk. There can be some confusion, due to the meanings of the words "updated" versus "upgraded".

It is correct that SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded to SYNC 3.4 by using the Ford SYNC 3 update website. SYNC 3.0 systems can only be upgraded to SYNC 3.4 via "bootleg", third party sites, as you mentioned.

However, SYNC 3.0 does receive updates. SYNC 3.0 updates are differentiated by the last five digits in the full version number. The latest version of SYNC 3.0 is SYNC v3.0.20204.

SYNC 3.4 is a hardware and software upgrade of SYNC. Not an update to SYNC 3.0. This is why SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded to SYNC 3.4 via Ford (or Lincoln).

For those Fusion owners not aware of this, you can check your VIN for available SYNC 3 updates here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Sorry for all the bold/underlining. I just figure it makes it easier to understand the "update" versus "upgrade" difference.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Hi maydk. There can be some confusion, due to the meanings of the words "updated" versus "upgraded".

It is correct that SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded to SYNC 3.4 by using the Ford SYNC 3 update website. SYNC 3.0 systems can only be upgraded to SYNC 3.4 via "bootleg", third party sites, as you mentioned.

However, SYNC 3.0 does receive updates. SYNC 3.0 updates are differentiated by the last five digits in the full version number. The latest version of SYNC 3.0 is SYNC v3.0.20204.

SYNC 3.4 is a hardware and software upgrade of SYNC. Not an update to SYNC 3.0. This is why SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded to SYNC 3.4 via Ford (or Lincoln).

For those Fusion owners not aware of this, you can check your VIN for available SYNC 3 updates here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Sorry for all the bold/underlining. I just figure it makes it easier to understand the "update" versus "upgrade" difference.

Good luck.
I can't remember 100%, but think my car came with Sync 3.3. I searched around and found this post. Sync Version 3.3 to 3.4 changes

I am guessing some/not all 2019 Ford vehicles came with a version of Sync (3.3?) that could be upgraded to 3.4. I assume the differences would be hardware, but do not know what that difference could be. I had guessed a while back it could be have something to do with Co Pilot 360, but do not know if other Ford cars with 3.3/3.4 also came with it.

My FFS is currently on 3.4.21098 and appears I received it on July 11th, or at least that is when Sync notified me the update completed its install. Not sure when the updated was released. I have a guest Wifi network at home that my cars connect to.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I know my 2018 came with Copilot 360, but I have the Driver Assistance package and I think maybe in 2018 those features were part of that package.

I don't think Sync is related to Copilot 360, though. Copilot 360 is the combination of a set of safety features like automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assists, pedestrian detection, etc.

My 18 has Sync 3.0 and continues to receive updates from Ford. But it will likely never get a Ford upgrade to 3.4. I understand the hardware is different, but I've also heard the only difference is the partitioning. If that's the case, repartitioning the storage would certainly allow 3.4 to run on the 3.0 hardware, and apparently a number of people have done exactly that. But it's not supported by Ford.

I've considered doing it myself, but I don't really see any benefit. Both 3.0 and 3.4 are very similar. 3.4 gives Google Maps street names in your IPC I think if you're using Android Auto, and plug your phone into the car. I don't do that so I don't care. Also, my wife's Fusion has 3.4, and her Sync has "freaked out" a few times and done strange things. So I'm not convinced it's as stable as 3.0 anyway. But who knows, that's not definitive. My point is if you use the Android Auto navigation a lot 3.4 could be a real advantage, otherwise I'm not sure it matters.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
I know my 2018 came with Copilot 360, but I have the Driver Assistance package and I think maybe in 2018 those features were part of that package.

I don't think Sync is related to Copilot 360, though. Copilot 360 is the combination of a set of safety features like automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assists, pedestrian detection, etc.

My 18 has Sync 3.0 and continues to receive updates from Ford. But it will likely never get a Ford upgrade to 3.4. I understand the hardware is different, but I've also heard the only difference is the partitioning. If that's the case, repartitioning the storage would certainly allow 3.4 to run on the 3.0 hardware, and apparently a number of people have done exactly that. But it's not supported by Ford.

I've considered doing it myself, but I don't really see any benefit. Both 3.0 and 3.4 are very similar. 3.4 gives Google Maps street names in your IPC I think if you're using Google for Auto or whatever it's called, and plug your phone into the car. I don't do that so I don't care. Also, my wife's Fusion has 3.4, and her Sync has "freaked out" a few times and done strange things. So I'm not convinced it's as stable as 3.0 anyway. But who knows, that's not definitive. My point is if you use the Google navigation a lot 3.4 could be a real advantage, otherwise I'm not sure it matters.
I don't think Co Pilot 360 and 3.3/3.4 required to work together as they are separate things. I just thought they may have only put them on the same cars together. It was always just a guess of mine because I didn't know of any other difference. Co Pilot features were available on previous Fusions starting with 2017, but I thought they just branded it in 2019 as vehicle standard ... The Sport got the upgraded version (Assist) that wasn't standard for Fusion, as the 19 included every option. Just like you could have upgraded to previously on 17 and 18 Sports. Except for the few items that were removed/already mentioned in this thread, all major options were available on all 3 years.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can't remember 100%, but think my car came with Sync 3.3. I searched around and found this post. Sync Version 3.3 to 3.4 changes

I am guessing some/not all 2019 Ford vehicles came with a version of Sync (3.3?) that could be upgraded to 3.4. I assume the differences would be hardware, but do not know what that difference could be. I had guessed a while back it could be have something to do with Co Pilot 360, but do not know if other Ford cars with 3.3/3.4 also came with it.

My FFS is currently on 3.4.21098 and appears I received it on July 11th, or at least that is when Sync notified me the update completed its install. Not sure when the updated was released. I have a guest Wifi network at home that my cars connect to.
Hi BD. Yes, SYNC 3.3 preceded SYNC 3.4, and was released in most vehicles for the 2019 model year. SYNC 3.3 was relatively short lived, and the 3.4 update came shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately, those of us with SYNC 3.0 will not be able to factory upgrade to SYNC 3.4, due to the hardware differences. We currently do receive updates and will continue to receive updates for some time (undetermined).

Good luck.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You just need to upgrade the hard wear and have Forscan to do the programing. People do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You just need to upgrade the hard wear and have Forscan to do the programing. People do it all the time.
The one thing I'm not sure about yet on this, though, is how do people get:

1. Sync updates (I assume it's the same way they got the original 3.4, just download it from somewhere)
2. Map updates (this one worries me more, since Ford provides these and they're tied to your VIN, and Sync-version-specific--I wouldn't want to lose my ability to get map updates)

On the other hand, Android Auto becomes even more functional than before, so maybe that makes up for it some.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi gang Just as an FYI for others: The third party SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4 upgrades (CyanLabs etc.), do not require hardware upgrades or FORScan. It is done as a software upgrade using the third party supplied programming files and instructions. And there are almost always some lost, or no longer functioning correctly, feature/features (read the CyanLabs warnings and fine print). So be sure the reported issues/lost features are not something you care about/use.

And for those who care about their warranty, keep this in mind: Despite the fact others may do this, performing these SYNC 3 to SYNC 3.4 third party upgrades while still within Ford's 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty or an ESP that covers electronics etc. will cause warranty claim issues and/or warranty claims denials on any problems even remotely related to SYNC. And that means issues with SYNC itself, the Audio system, Climate Control system, many/most electronic/electrical issues, etc. etc.
If we alter the factory SYNC system, Ford has the right to deny any warranty claim for anything even remotely related to SYNC. And that is a lot in our vehicles.

Not telling anyone what to do with their cars or not to do it. Only letting them know of the possible future warranty issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The one thing I'm not sure about yet on this, though, is how do people get:

1. Sync updates (I assume it's the same way they got the original 3.4, just download it from somewhere)
2. Map updates (this one worries me more, since Ford provides these and they're tied to your VIN, and Sync-version-specific--I wouldn't want to lose my ability to get map updates)

On the other hand, Android Auto becomes even more functional than before, so maybe that makes up for it some.
Hi Engineer. At least currently, owners who perform the third party CyanLabs SYNC 3 to SYNC 3.4 upgrade must go back to CyanLabs to get the latest SYNC 3.4 updates. They can not be downloaded from the Ford or Lincoln SYNC 3 update websites.

The same goes for NAV map updates. Future NAV map updates will need to be acquired from CyanLabs, when they make them available.

This not too much of an issue currently, as long as CyanLabs sticks around and keeps updating things. Of course, if they should stop doing so, or disappear, that will be a problem.

Another drawback (in my opinion), is that these SYNC 3.4 upgrade and subsequent update files are currently obtained through Russian sources (again, read the CyanLabs provided "fine print" information). That is a no-go for me. But again, that is only my personal opinion. Others will certainly feel differently and that is their right to.

And just an addition to the SYNC and NAV update information I provided above: There are those who have upgraded their SYNC 3 system with a new SYNC 3.4 APIM and other necessary hardware/software provided by third party sellers. These third party hardware upgrades often do allow the buyer to upgrade their SYNC 3.4 system using the Ford and Lincoln SYNC 3 update websites. That all depends on the quality of the company used and the hardware they provide.
I am not sure if that also applies to NAV map updates. You need a valid VIN (and APIM etc) from a SYNC 3.4 equipped vehicle for that.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well Forscan is based in Russia. Far as people doing stuff to their cars, that happens all the time. Performance mods galore to be had, and we know the down side. My car happens to be a rebuilt salvage, so no warranty but I can handle that, as do the others out there.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Well Forscan is based in Russia. Far as people doing stuff to their cars, that happens all the time. Performance mods galore to be had, and we know the down side. My car happens to be a rebuilt salvage, so no warranty but I can handle that, as do the others out there.
I've actually always thought, for a project car, your salvage 400a was just about ideal. That would be a great project car, I think. No sense loading up on options, and no problem getting a salvage car anyway, if you're going to build it up so much like you're doing. I think you have kind of the perfect car for what you're doing with it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think the ship has kind of sailed on having any security on things like that, though. For decades now, North American manufacturing has outsourced critical technology, designs, and manufacturing to hostile countries, then imported the built systems back in and included them in their products. I think we can safely assume, at this point, that everything that can possibly be compromised probably is. I take steps to reduce risk (and would be happy to discuss such technical measures if anyone wants, just reach out and I can give you more details), but as far as realistically expecting our manufacturing to be even remotely safe, I'm not at all optimistic about that. I'm even more worried about things like Sync 4, since it can flash (as I understand it) any module on the car, over the air. So that leaves things fairly wide open, if you assume everything is compromised, like I do.

And I say this not as a guess. I'm speaking from experience in some of these areas, and I know of what I speak. If those of you in other fields knew even a fraction of what goes on, you'd be absolutely terrified.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Skipe. I understand your point of view, opinion and right to do with your vehicle (salvaged or not) as you please. And the right of everyone here to also do as they like with their vehicles. And I state that constantly.
And yes, of course people do things to their cars all the time (that made me think of the "Captain Obvious" commercials...lol).
And me or anyone else mentioning these caveats/warnings is not meant as anything personal towards anyone. It is simply providing correct information for people to use as they may.

However, new members join and come here all the time, and some are not aware of things the rest of us have repeatedly discussed in the past. And they do not know the downsides unless the downsides are mentioned. Those are the people my replies are aimed towards.

And well...even many current members would not/may not be aware that FORScan is "based in Russia", unless we mention it.

So, discussing the possible warranty issues and other warnings are for those who do care.

Good luck

41 - 60 of 83 Posts