Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the "full" plug? Closes thing that I've found is Part# W707919-S437 it looks close but don't think it's the right one.

Just bought a 2013 Fusion Titanium AWD and used this post to attempt to tackle the job. Transmission and PDU went great and then RDU was all down hill. I used a set of gearwrech torx bits that insert into a 12mm wrench and when removing all of the teeth in the plug broke off. The torx bit ended up being stronger than the teeth of the plug which was not expected. I was able to touch up the outside with a grinder, weld a nut to the existing plug and break it loose. Looking in all of the ford diagrams I can find and they don't specifically call out the part number for the replacement "full" plug.
Fill plug came out just fine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Buckeye. If no one can give you an answer here, simply stop by your local Ford Dealership's Parts Department and ask them for the part number and cost. Then you can have them order it or use the part number to order it somewhere else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately the Ford dealership was no help on this one. According to their system all 3 plugs call for the same part number (full,fill,top) but only the top/full plugs are the same and the fill plug is larger. Looks like a generic 3/8" NPT plug is what I'm going to have to go with.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Took my FFS in this morning to one of the local Ford Dealers to get RDU Fluid Change (40K Miles) and was told that this unit was not serviceable and that their service manual said they would have to take my rear end apart to change the fluid.
I just shook my head and left. This is the same dealership I had to get under the car and show them how to do PDU fluid change.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm not sure why some the Fusion Sport owners are getting black fluid out of the RDU, but in my SHO when I replaced the PTU fluid (which was black) the RDU fluid looked almost new. I've never had a RWD vehicle where the differential oil would turn black - even when I changed it at 50k miles or so the oil would always look clear unless I went deep water fording.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 AWD Titanium

I finally got around to this at 65k miles. I have been checking it, it finally looked dirty enough to buy a pump and change. It was pretty dark - like the pics here, but seemed otherwise fine.

Ford 'schedule' is absolute BS. The PTU fluid was black at 30k miles. The transmission is rated at 100k miles (do not wait this long unless you are going to ditch the car). However, I also read somewhere that 'lifetime' for Ford is 100k miles.

The garage said they changed the trany fluid at 35k, but at 65k it was also black (so I assume they did not change it). I am wondering if original fluids do tend to go black? I mean I'd rather change tranny every 30-40k, but black at 65k. PTU black at 30k? I have heard it gets hot, so I just change it every 2 years of 15k miles - basically every other oil change for me.

Anyway, garages and Ford maintenance schedule can kiss my ass. The car is great, I want to keep it. Everything except the rear diff is trivial to replace, and the diff just needs a pump assuming you can get the level plug out (I did, it was also tough and I broke 1/4" spanners too). Just do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to the manual this is completely unnecessary.. I think y'all just do this stuff for fun..
Ford and the manual are complete BS if you really want to keep the parts in good condition. Ford is doing this to reduce the 'maintenance cost' of their vehicles. Yes, the parts will probably all last Ford's 'lifetime', which is 100k miles without changing any fluids.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I’ve experienced and also heard from many Ford owners and transmission repair shops that brand new Mercon LV turns brown and smells burnt as soon as it heats up. I hate it because I grew up sniffing transmission fluid (that didn’t sound good!) to check if a car was well cared for. I wouldn’t trust that stuff to go more than 30k and it’s a relatively inexpensive preventative to just change it regardless of Fords schedule. My experience with the PTU and RDU has been pure good luck; every time I’ve had it changed, it was like new. My dealership mechanic says they’ve had Explorers and Escapes come in with 30k on them and malfunctioning PTUs that have fluid as black as tar. He says they don’t get many Edges at all into the bays, but they seem to be better.

Reactions: bbf2530

·
Registered
669 Posts
"...I grew up sniffing transmission fluid (that didn’t sound good!)...
Hi Shawnski. Now that was funny! And well worth the 10 seconds of my like it took to read! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I’ve experienced and also heard from many Ford owners and transmission repair shops that brand new Mercon LV turns brown and smells burnt as soon as it heats up. I hate it because I grew up sniffing transmission fluid (that didn’t sound good!) to check if a car was well cared for. I wouldn’t trust that stuff to go more than 30k and it’s a relatively inexpensive preventative to just change it regardless of Fords schedule. My experience with the PTU and RDU has been pure good luck; every time I’ve had it changed, it was like new. My dealership mechanic says they’ve had Explorers and Escapes come in with 30k on them and malfunctioning PTUs that have fluid as black as tar. He says they don’t get many Edges at all into the bays, but they seem to be better.
Aha! Well that explains a lot. ;)

(ducks and runs)

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that comment. So maybe the Trans fluid did get changed, mine did not smell burned. I will check it myself in 10k, good to know.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts