Discussion Starter #1
For changing the RDU, you will need a:
3/8" ratchet for the drain plug,
a stubby T40 or T40 large shank bit,
4 jack stands or matching height ramps,
1/2 bottle of 75W-80 gear oil,
a bottle top oil pump
and a vacuum extractor

To start, raise the vehicle up so you can fit under it, the car needs to be level due to the full hole level design. I used 3 2x8 boards under each wheel.

Then using the T40 remove the full plug located near the forward mount. The space here is tight due to the large bushing on the sub-frame.

Then using the 3/8" ratchet remove the fill plug and suck out all of the fluid, it will take some time due to the oil thickness. I was able to extract approximately 16 oz.

Next pump the fluid into the rear fill hole. When the differential is full, it will flow out of the front full hole. Now reinstall both plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks, on my list as something to do next.

What mileage do you have now?
Two drain plugs, no fills?
RDU/rear diff both use same oil as PTU?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did mine at 32k.

We have 1 fill and one full level plug. The Front T40 plug is for the fluid level, the rear 3/8" plug is for sucking out the fluid and filling. If you fill until the fluid comes out the rear plug, the RDU will be over filled.

I can't for the life of me understand why Ford didn't have a drain plug installed.

The RDU uses 75W-80, the Amsoil 75W-90 (Red top) meets the specs and you will use about 1/2 a quart.

The PTU uses 75W-140 (Black top), and you need almost the whole quart bottle. So you are stuck buying 2 bottles anyways.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally found a use for my Mityvac
https://www.google.com/search?q=mit.....69i57j0l5.5200j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I'll be doing this at the next oil change, 25,000

Thanks!

I used my dad's MV7300, the big standup jug that you connect to an air compressor. It will take sometime to suck the fluid out with hand pump style, the Ford fluid is thick and doesn't flow well. You also have to keep sucking as you move the hose around to find the bottom of the diff.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks. Almost looks like it would be easier to fill from the level plug..............
It would be just as easy if you have the car up high enough. It was easier to fill from the rear plug since I didn't have to craw as far under the car and there was enough space to have the jug upright and still have space for my hand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It was common for American Cars/Trucks to have only one plug (my 94' Mustang only has one) on rear diffs. Japanese and German cars always had drains. American Cars typically had the "pumpkin cover" that would act as a drain.

Anyway, curious as to why you wouldn't vacuum/fill it thru the "leveling" plug. Too small?

Truth be told, I haven't even looked at it to see if it's an option. Just going off history/experience.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was common for American Cars/Trucks to have only one plug (my 94' Mustang only has one) on rear diffs. Japanese and German cars always had drains. American Cars typically had the "pumpkin cover" that would act as a drain.

Anyway, curious as to why you wouldn't vacuum/fill it thru the "leveling" plug. Too small?

Truth be told, I haven't even looked at it to see if it's an option. Just going off history/experience.

Could could thru the leveling plug but my hose wasn't long enough to reach and you could have to thread it back to get to the bottom of diff case.

The leveling plug is further forward near the RDU clutch pack.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to the manual this is completely unnecessary.. I think y'all just do this stuff for fun..

I don't trust ford saying the fluid is for "lifetime." If you look at the picture of the water bottle, that oil had a lot of metal shavings which accelerates wear. I want this car to last 300k, just like my 2000 Taurus.

Plus, my driving would fall under sever service. I've had the PTU/AWD temp warning come up a few times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I change mine each fall. Only takes a few minutes and I know the fluids are fresh. I used amsoil fluids and there bottle pump the previous changes. I ordered the fluids to do both the ptu and rear diff in the coming weeks and they changed the packaging. There gear oil now comes in bags. Makes it even easier to fill and now no need for the pump.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I change mine each fall. Only takes a few minutes and I know the fluids are fresh. I used amsoil fluids and there bottle pump the previous changes. I ordered the fluids to do both the ptu and rear diff in the coming weeks and they changed the packaging. There gear oil now comes in bags. Makes it even easier to fill and now no need for the pump.

Let us know how the bags work, it looks like you might have issues getting the back down into the fill area for the PTU and the subframe for the RDU.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks, on my list as something to do next.

What mileage do you have now?
Two drain plugs, no fills?
RDU/rear diff both use same oil as PTU?

Stupid question...

"a bottle top oil pump"
"a vacuum extractor"

Any ones in particular you could recommend?

Thank you!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Stupid question...

"a bottle top oil pump"

"a vacuum extractor"

Any ones in particular you could recommend?

Thank you!
I used this guy, but I did have to use much small hose inorder to snake it under the rear diff gears.
The picture shows how I kept shoving smaller hose inside the larger hose to reduce down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FloTool-Small-LiquiVac-Fluid-Extractor-System-2005LV/304658070?keyword=2005lv&searchtype=history&semanticToken=2003000000+%3E++st%3A%7B2005lv%7D%3Ast+cnn%3A%7B2%3A1%7D+cnr%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cnb%3A%7B9%3A0%7D+f%3A%7Ba%7D+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+tgr%3A%7BNo+stage+info%7D+qu%3A%7B2005lv%7D%3Aqu

Any auto parts place will have a bottle top oil pump. If you are going to use Amsoil, the amsoil dealer will have one that screws onto their bottles.This looks like the one I have for a few years and it just sits on top of the amsoil bottles. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-oil-pump-w1139/9016678-P?searchTerm=oil+pump

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I changed out the RDU fluid in my 2014 SHO at over 20k miles, and it looked brand new. I believe OE fill was 80W-90.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did RDU fluid change recently. Used vacuum extractor for removal of old oil, looked the same as PTU dark grayish-black in color. Filled with Amsoil 75-90 in the bag, actually worked well. To make things a little easier, unbolted the exhaust hanger bracket and rotated it down out of the way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wanted to share the pump I used for my RDU change because I was so happy with it’s performance and it was only $18.99 on Amazon. The smaller of the two hoses did fit into the drain plug hole but, it took some maneuvering to get it down into the bottom of the RDU.
You can pump it up to build suction and then let it do the work for awhile.

ALEKO OEXP02 1.6 Liter Oil and Fluid Extractor Pump For Automotive Fluids https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E99JVJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aTB2CbESQ1BY0

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts