• Nah. I needs me my AWD and MPG

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, Chevy sold the Chevy SS, an LS3 powered RWD sedan for a few minutes. What you may or may not know is that the SS is really the uber popular Aussie based Holden Commodore. What even fewer of you may know is that the main competitor for the Commodore is the Ford Falcon, another RWD sedan. The Falson is also an Aussie, but never made it across the pond, which was probably good for Ford considering how poorly the SS did.

Anyway, Just for the sake of discussion, I was wondering if any of you saucy sedan enthusiasts would have chosen the RWD Falcon over the AWD FuSpo if it had ever made it over here to the states.

For the uninitiated, I introduce to you, the Ford Falcon:
2016 Ford Falcon XR6 Sprint review
Ford Australia - FGX Ford Falcon - Exhilarating Power

XR8- Blown 5.0L V8=450hp,420ft/lbs

XR6- Turbo 4.0 i6=362hp, 393ft/lbs

Both available with auto or manual transmissions.

The previous gen performance models were pretty sick looking as well. They also offered a "ute" version which is pretty much a Ranchero. Unfortunately for the Aussies, this is Fords last year of producing the Falcon.

This was one of my bucket list cars, and it may in fact still be. I think if the new one was offered in the states, and I could afford it, I would have chosen that over the Sport and bought a $500 F-150 or Jeep for winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been a Falcon fan for a long time. FPV does a great job with them in Australia. Give me the XR8 engine in the FuSpo styling and I'd have to sell a liver or something but I'd do it. Don't like the current Falcon styling but that engine. Yes please.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The ONLY reason I'm considering the FuSport is the AWD for winter. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the GTO (which is the last generation Commodore and very similar to the SS). So, yeah, if I could get the Falcon in AWD I'd be right there. I guess the other problem with the Aus produced vehicles is finding parts for the non-american bits like the suspension. I'm waiting to replace a broken shock for at least 3 weeks since it has to come from Aus.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Seeing as how I have Wisconsin winters, RWD is not really an option for me at the moment.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That XR8 is delicious... it does remind me a BIT of the Taurus (styling wise). Being from Michigan, I see plenty of Chargers/Challengers/Mustangs/Camaros and other RWD cars roaming the streets and highways. With the advancements in stability control, ABS, traction control, and drive trains the RWD car is much better than years past.

That being said, a 400+ HP/Torque RWD car may or may not be practical... I'd stretch my budget to fit both... #ramen4life

·
Registered
405 Posts
I actually was considering the Chevrolet SS, its still for sale actually in the US. The price was just a bit more than I thought was reasonable for a Mid Level car. For the price of that I could get into a nice Audi or BMW.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The ONLY reason I'm considering the FuSport is the AWD for winter. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the GTO (which is the last generation Commodore and very similar to the SS). So, yeah, if I could get the Falcon in AWD I'd be right there. I guess the other problem with the Aus produced vehicles is finding parts for the non-american bits like the suspension. I'm waiting to replace a broken shock for at least 3 weeks since it has to come from Aus.
The GTO was the Holden Monaro in Australia. The Pontiac G8 was the LHD version of the Commodore here in the states, it became the SS when Pontiac was put under... :crying:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love the look of the XR6 and 8, I really do but I don't think I could manage RWD year-round in Toronto. Not to say it isn't possible, but it's definitely more to think about.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in Wisconsin, and with decent Blizzaks have not had problems getting around at all. In fact the GTO's traction control is just about perfect for snow and ice, unless it gets deep enough to contact the bottom of the car... The SS is a VERY sad situation right now. You can actually get them for 20% off or more (so price in the high 30s with the same options for a "drivers package" FS) BUT there's a seatbelt issue so they can't actually deliver them! Every single new and used SS on a chevy lot is unable to be delivered until further notice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Working for GM I was really looking into the SS as well. For me though, I live in PA and deal with some harsh winters (the reason why I've owned two Evo's) but I know just owning my ST for the small winter we had this past year that anything other than AWD just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sliding around in the snow...I just like knowing that I'm in control of the sliding >:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Heh, seems we have a lot of Wisconsin, Canada etc. owners/shoppers. We want this for the AWD and long winters. Although I certainly wouldn't complain if there were a manual 5.0L SC option available for the Sport :D.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I actually was considering the Chevrolet SS, its still for sale actually in the US. The price was just a bit more than I thought was reasonable for a Mid Level car. For the price of that I could get into a nice Audi or BMW.
True but also the repair bill is alot higher for the BMW and Audi

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in the south... F*****n right I'd take an xr6/xr8. Who knows? Maybe ford/lincoln is taking steps towards a true sports luxury sedan and the cd5 platform could accommodate rwd/awd standard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My other issue is size: The Fusion is already almost the biggest car I would consider, in part because the Taurus is so big these days. Just looked and while the SS is in between them, it would have to come down to how they drive. I like having a smaller car that doesn't need as much space for lane changes or squeezing around parking lots; I just also still want leg room. As far as the performance, sure, who wouldn't want the v8? It doesn't snow here so RWD shouldn't be much of a thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts