Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are you guys using to get rid of the dreaded inside of the windshield haze that builds up over time? This happens to all cars for course, but my Sport had it bad when I bought it (didn't notice at the dealer, who supposedly detailed it). I've tried a bunch of different products and techniques over the years, but none of them seem to leave the inside of the windshield perfectly clean. I recently cleaned the inside of mine meticulously with RainX wipes (made for the inside of the window) and microfiber cloth. I basically scrub every inch with the wipes, then use a robust paper towel to clean off the excess liquid. Then I scrub the dry surface with the microfiber cloth. I did this whole process twice, but then this morning in direct sunlight, the windshield was full of smears and streaks. I actually pulled over in a sunny spot and tried to chase down the streaks with the microfiber cloth that comes with the car, but it still isn't truly clean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
lol my dealer did a half assed job "detailing" my car too. I had to wash all of my windows a few times to get all the gunk and crap off.

As for keeping it clean, just regular maintenance keeps it nice an easy to clean. A product of some sort that makes it easier is certainly welcome. Maybe rainex on the interior?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was delayed a solid hour at the dealership as they "detailed" my car, even though it was supposed to be done when I arrived. Half assed doesn't begin to describe it. I was so pumped to have the car that I didn't bother calling them on it, but I probably should have.

I'm using the RainX interior wipes, but in direct sunlight I'm still seeing greasy smears even though most of the haze is gone. It's a pain since it looks perfect in my well lit garage, but then the sun reveals all sorts of horrors.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Its like they covered the window with glue before shipping it. No matter how much windex and cleaning I do to that window it just wont come clean.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its like they covered the window with glue before shipping it. No matter how much windex and cleaning I do to that window it just wont come clean.
try some white vinegar/water mix and some 'high quality' microfiber cloths. It should help cut through some of the tougher gunk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Use an ammonia free window cleaner (especially important if you have window tint anywhere) and a microfiber glass towel, and a regular microfiber towel as a followup for best results. Or just window cleaner and regular microfiber if its not that bad.

Here is a link to a video that some of you might like. And if you enjoy detailing your car, the rest of his vids are pretty good too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The "haze" is particularly bad on new cars as the same thing that causes the "new car smell" (i.e. solvents evaporating out of adhesives, the out-gassing of plastics, synthetic fabrics, etc.) all can deposit themselves on the window glass. Then dirt, pollen, environmental pollutants, etc. all stick to that starting layer.

Here is what I have found works best to remove it (this method is an amalgamation of various online detailers):

1. Wipe window with a clean/dry microfiber towel.
    a. Circular motion on one side of towel.
    b. Up/Down on the other side of the towel
  2. Clean window with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol/distilled water using Magic Eraser pads. Simply spray mixture directly onto window and wipe/scrub vigorously with eraser pad.
  3. Follow up by wiping with micro fiber cloth that is damp with regular tap water or distilled water if you like. (Water type doesn't seem to make a huge difference)
  4. Take your waffle weave towel, fold in half or into quarters. One side will become your "wet" side, the other side will remain as your "dry" side. Spritz anywhere from 4-6 sprays of window cleaner on the one side of the towel only. Wipe each window with damp side of towel, then flip over and buff to crystal clear with the dry side.
    a. Circular first
    b. Then Up/Down

Glass Cleaners I found that work best:
  • Meguiar’s Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner
  • Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner

·
Registered
529 Posts
My wife makes homemade glass cleaner (she's thrifty like that). This stuff is seriously amazing. We clean our mirrors in the house with it. Cuts that toothpaste, floss flings, and caked on hairspray.

Alvin Corn Glass Cleaner:
  • 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
  • 1/4 c. white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 c. warm water

I've used rain-x anti fog in the past, but if you do not buff to a extremely clean shine, you'll get visible streaks in sunlight. It is important to start with a VERY clean window surface before using the anti-fog. I'd typically wipe windows down a couple times a month. I do not smoke, nor do I have lots of air fresheners and other sorts in my vehicles. I do however, drive with the windows open a lot, and leave them cracked in my garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts