Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because my gf got in an accident in the FuSpo today :(

Luckily everyone is okay and their insurance is taking care of it. Only the rear bumper is damaged and needs to be replaced.

So I ask because I'm going to try and finagle a 2019 bumper out of it with the diffuser so I wonder if it will fit. The fenders and exhaust are all the same as far as I know so I don't see why not?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi d3m0. There are differences in shapes/designs which would make this not viable. If you take look at the design and cut lines of the bumper covers, taillights and trunklids of the two separate model years, you will see very noticeable differences. Those differences would make the 2019 bumper cover look out of place on a 2018 at the very least and possibly not fit properly around the taillights at worst.

You can see this if you Google rearend photos of the 2018 and 2019 Fusion Sport models and compare them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow they spent money reshaping the trunk and bumper for a one year only redesign?
Hi d3m0. It may seem odd. However, it is not so odd when you consider that the planning and scheduling for these redesigns (even mid-cycle refreshes) begins 2-3 years in advance. So the 2019 redesign was already planned, designed and engineered before the decision was even made to terminate the Fusion Sport and Fusion itself.

Good luck.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
309 Posts
I remember being told once when touring the Engineering area at an automobile plant that "what you're looking at won't see the light of day for another 10 years or so". I know the cycle times are shorter now but it does take a while.

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Wow they spent money reshaping the trunk and bumper for a one year only redesign?
The Sport only had one year with the second 2G refresh, but the SE, SEL, and Titanium (plus Hybrid and Energi) models survived an additional year. Ford also announced the Fusion would be around for the 2021 model year (which they suddenly changed to end production in 2020). So 3 years for a design change is usual for post-refresh models. Notice tho, they didn't change the Sport's front end, just the panels that would be around for more than 1 year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts