Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Wildly fluctuating gas gauge?

20K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  maydk65 
#1 ·
My 2017 FSport has the uprated instrument cluster with the 2 digital displays and the mechanical speedometer. My digital fuel gauge fluctuates very wildly and my DTE calculations fluctuate a lot as well. I have other Fords with the same instrument cluster that do not exhibit this issue. Is this normal for the Fusion Sport? Like I can start the morning drive with 3/4 tank full, and it may go down to 1/2 tank and then come back up the next time I start the car. I understand the fuel sender is a float (I've taken them out on other Fords) but this does not happen on my other late model Fords.

#2 ·
Mine is the same way. It will show a 1/4 of a tank when I shut the car off and then when I start it back up it will have 1/2 tank in it.
I assume its from the sloshing around, but Ive gotten used to it for the most part. Except the other day, parked the car after work with a 1/4 tank thinking I wouldn't need to get gas anytime soon since I thought in it would be at 1/2. Fired it up the next morning and it read a 1/4.

#5 ·
I'm curious if they made a fix for certain build numbers? We have two 2017 Fusion Sports, one assembled JAN 2017 and the other MAY 2017. Both have this issue and both have fuel tanks where the fuel sloshes around extra loud - probably the loudest I've ever heard in a Ford.

When I swapped fuel pumps on my 2007 Mustang GT, I saw that the saddle tank had these metal plates/baffles welded to the floor and the fuel pump basket basically sat on the floor of the tank. The baffle would keep the gas in the suction area. I've never had a problem with wildly fluctuating fuel levels on any Fords other than my 1981 Ford T-bird. The 2014 SHO had the same instrument cluster and the fuel bar was always steady and the distance to empty didn't fluctuate this much either.

#6 ·
That used to be a problem I had occasionally but hasn't done it in a while. Didn't do anything.

#7 ·
It's a known issue with the first IPC firmware (for the 2-screen / 'Level 2' cluster) that shipped on 2017 Fusions. Newer ones have updated firmware, and there was an SSM posted for this issue. But, last I checked (which was November) the SSM was said "Engineering is aware, please check back later for updates. No action needed at this time." There was another thread on this.

#11 ·
I have the standard instrument cluster and it does the same thing from time to time.

#12 ·
Can you post pictures of the "standard" vs "level 2" instrument clusters? I want to know what I have lol.

#20 ·
This is incorrect, on my car. Gets to 1/4 tank, then drive 20 miles, it adds almost another 3/16 of a tank and miles to empty goes up by 60 or so. Then drive more and it eventually drops super fast (dropping from 160 miles to empty, to empty in about 80 miles). It does it over and over. It is something in the variable resister in tank float. Not even sure a new FORD unit would fix it.

#16 ·
Asked a second dealer to look at this (first dealer trashed one of my wheels, put scratch in clearcoat on door, and dinged up my interior).
So they said they cannot verify concern. I asked them how they would fix it then. No answer from service guy.
He did say Ford won't let them replace parts unless they KNOW it is bad.

I then asked him if they still use variable resister like they have to 70 odd (maybe more) years.
He didn't know, but I verified via Fusion /MKZ electrical schematic book I bought that it does on non-401a,
and it goes directly to guage without any CAN.

So I then asked if I brought it in with the exact amount of gas where I knew it was wrong, could they use
scan tool to measure resistance and if it was off (say at 1/4 tank, it should be 25% above max-min ohm range,
assuming it is somewhat linear, which I don't know), would they know?

He said he would ask tech. So what does the normal guy do, that doesn't know 80+% of what a tech does?
Very frustrating...............

#18 ·
I know this is a Fusion Sport enthusiast site, but as a long-time Ford owner I have to say that my 17 Fusion Sport is significantly more problematic than my other Fords with 1 exception - the 1981 T-bird. It was about equal. Just minor quality issues to major problems that may or may not be isolated. Back on topic, this is the first Ford to have such a wildly fluctuating fuel gauge since my 1981 T-bird. Never had a problem on the 1989 E-150, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 E-250, 2007 Mustang, 2014 SHO, or my 2018 Explorer.

#23 ·
Add my MKZ to that list. I parked last night with just over a 1/4 tank of gas. Drove up the street today and watch my gauge drop from just under half a tank to 3/8s and then back up again all within a minute. I'm gonna send these to my dealership and ask their opinion but my gas mileage and DTE have always been off since I have owned the car.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
For what it's worth, my Fusion with the MKZ cluster (which I have on the latest 2018 firmware) still fluctuates a bit. Nowhere near as bad as my OEM 401A cluster did. Just sort-of a heads up if they do even upgrade your IPC's firmware.

#27 ·
I took Delivery in June of last year and they replaced my cluster in July (they scratched the lense while preparing it for my pickup) so I'm not sure what firmware is on it. I can't get my dealership to upgrade any firmware on my car unless they find an issue with the system.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

#28 · (Edited)
You might be on the latest IPC update anyways then. There hasn't been an update for quite some time, but I haven't checked in the past couple months. If you want to check, try this to view the software & calibration versions, then let me know I can tell you if it's the latest (you can PM me if you want - it's nothing identifiable tho, just software versions):

Engineering Test Mode
1) To enter IPC Engineering Test mode, start with the ignition OFF.

2) Press and hold the LH steering wheel d-pad OK button.

2a) Press the ignition button (with your foot off the brake - or start the car, doesn't matter), continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until you see "ET" next to the battery symbol. Let go of the OK button otherwise you'll exit ET mode.

3) Now, press the up or down arrow buttons to scroll through each Test Mode displays. Stop when you see the part number and calibration number (like mine below). What does yours say?

4) Scroll a bit more, you'll see IFS1, IFS2, and IFS3 (like mine below). What does yours say for these 3?

5) To exit the IPC's ET Mode, press and hold the OK button again or switch the ignition OFF.

Reactions: FunktasticLucky
#36 ·
Yes, Ford released an IPC firmware upgrade a few years ago to fix this issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Ah yes. I have this issue too. Starts to fluctuate only after 1/2th of my tank, but I've noticed it's usually only after I floor it from 0. I was thinking its fine because its the G force?

#38 ·
Yes, all Fords for of the last couple generations are electronically controlled on the IPC, whether it's an LCD display or an analog needle.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#49 · (Edited)
So float resistance signal goes straight into instr cluster, converts it to CAN, then transmits that to the gas guage I guess then.

I played around with the live data on my scanner. Seems like IPC and fuel guage itself are fine.

39% Lines up pretty well with guage here

IPC full test is pretty cool

(may have to click, on 3 dots and down load to see actual video part, not sure why)

DTE lines up

This test does 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100% on fuel guage

Forgot to take pic of 25% on scanner, but you get the idea.

Dead nuts there.

So I should be able to take pics of actual mileage, vs % fuel and guage reading that IPC is telling fuel guage to read with scaanner
If I do that progressively with trip odo, no way dealer can claim they can't find anything. I get a huge bump in DTE and guage reading
at about 1/4 tank, then it drops quick back to where it should have been after about 30 more miles.

The real question, is if float is bad, or design of tanks and float is bad and there is no way to fix it. The biggest issue when I do
extensive analysis and present to dealer, is getting past EGO's. Dealers do not like people that know as much or more than them, and/or
tell them how to do their job when they can't. I've already had it in to two different dealers, so not like I haven't tried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.