Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes it is weird as heck. Below 1/2 tank on mine, it will either drop really quickly looking as if I have only a few gallons left. Then the next cold or warm start, it will go back to half level or slightly above. As I get closer to the 50 mile DTE mark, it will fluctuate even more wildly to the point it looks like I have nothing left (but in reality there's probably 4-6 gallons left).

I do know that on full E85, the DTE is not quite accurate because the estimated fuel economy is about 1 mpg higher than actual. I believe it may be due to the difference in density between E85 and E10 gasoline.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yes it is weird as heck. Below 1/2 tank on mine, it will either drop really quickly looking as if I have only a few gallons left. Then the next cold or warm start, it will go back to half level or slightly above. As I get closer to the 50 mile DTE mark, it will fluctuate even more wildly to the point it looks like I have nothing left (but in reality there's probably 4-6 gallons left).

I do know that on full E85, the DTE is not quite accurate because the estimated fuel economy is about 1 mpg higher than actual. I believe it may be due to the difference in density between E85 and E10 gasoline.
Hi @metroplex

Have you tried going into engineering mode and adjusted the DTE? I imagine maybe 85 percent or so might be a good starting point, but you'd have to try it on your car and see. I know a lot of these Fords need that adjusted a little.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I had adjusted it for regular gas and didn’t want to tweak it for E85 in case I wanted to go back to gas soon. I track the amount of deviation between the indicated fuel economy and actual to get a statistical representation.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had adjusted it for regular gas and didn’t want to tweak it for E85 in case I wanted to go back to gas soon. I track the amount of deviation between the indicated fuel economy and actual to get a statistical representation.
I'm surprised to hear you say that. Of all the people I know, you're one of the last ones I'd ever expect to move away from ethanol. Especially with all the alcohol tuning work you've done. I can certainly understand not changing it if you think you're maybe going to switch back though.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Don't have much to add as I know you have more knowledge than I about this and I am sure you aware that the gauges are designed to not move much for a while after you fill the tank. They tend to drop much faster below half tank. People think they are getting better mileage when gauges don't move fast after a fill and that is why the manufacturers make them work like that. Your description does sound a bit different.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Don't have much to add as I know you have more knowledge than I about this and I am sure you aware that the gauges are designed to not move much for a while after you fill the tank. They tend to drop much faster below half tank. People think they are getting better mileage when gauges don't move fast after a fill and that is why the manufacturers make them work like that. Your description does sound a bit different.
My 2014 SHO has the same Type 2 instrument cluster as my Fusion Sport (401A) and I believe Ford started using this cluster in 2013. My SHO never had this issue with the fuel gauge fluctuation. Same goes for my 2018 Explorer. The Fusion Sport and my 1981 Thunderbird were the only Fords I've had with wildly fluctuating fuel gauges.

Like I wrote earlier above, I stopped caring about this and just use the Distance to Empty as a guideline. Interestingly enough my 2018 Explorer with the Type 1 cluster (base level, like a 400A Fusion Sport) shows the amount of fuel used which is even better.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My 2014 SHO has the same Type 2 instrument cluster as my Fusion Sport (401A) and I believe Ford started using this cluster in 2013. My SHO never had this issue with the fuel gauge fluctuation. Same goes for my 2018 Explorer. The Fusion Sport and my 1981 Thunderbird were the only Fords I've had with wildly fluctuating fuel gauges.

Like I wrote earlier above, I stopped caring about this and just use the Distance to Empty as a guideline. Interestingly enough my 2018 Explorer with the Type 1 cluster (base level, like a 400A Fusion Sport) shows the amount of fuel used which is even better.
Have you found the DTE to correlate with the needle gauge? I would have expected approximately 100% correlation between the two, but you response makes me think maybe there's not, and that the DTE (although it may not be totally accurate) is perhaps the more reliable of the two.

If so, though, I wonder why. That almost sounds like there's logic built in to play with the displayed needle reading, vs the DTE which, perhaps, does a more literal output based on the raw data. Am I understanding that correctly?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, all Fords for of the last couple generations are electronically controlled on the IPC, whether it's an LCD display or an analog needle.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
So float resistance signal goes straight into instr cluster, converts it to CAN, then transmits that to the gas guage I guess then.

I played around with the live data on my scanner. Seems like IPC and fuel guage itself are fine.

39% Lines up pretty well with guage here

IPC full test is pretty cool

(may have to click, on 3 dots and down load to see actual video part, not sure why)

DTE lines up

This test does 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100% on fuel guage

Forgot to take pic of 25% on scanner, but you get the idea.

Dead nuts there.

So I should be able to take pics of actual mileage, vs % fuel and guage reading that IPC is telling fuel guage to read with scaanner
If I do that progressively with trip odo, no way dealer can claim they can't find anything. I get a huge bump in DTE and guage reading
at about 1/4 tank, then it drops quick back to where it should have been after about 30 more miles.

The real question, is if float is bad, or design of tanks and float is bad and there is no way to fix it. The biggest issue when I do
extensive analysis and present to dealer, is getting past EGO's. Dealers do not like people that know as much or more than them, and/or
tell them how to do their job when they can't. I've already had it in to two different dealers, so not like I haven't tried.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Does your Type 3 cluster also show fuel consumed? Type 3 looks very similar to Type 1 (base / 400A) which shows fuel consumed at least in my Explorer. It is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok the font for your Speedo looked different. I recall Type 1 and 3 not having the SYNC feature on the right side. My Explorer is Type 1 and the two Trip modes show fuel consumed and a nice 4 quadrant overview of average mpg etc. I also use the digital speedometer that is part of the trip mode.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Ok the font for your Speedo looked different. I recall Type 1 and 3 not having the SYNC feature on the right side. My Explorer is Type 1 and the two Trip modes show fuel consumed and a nice 4 quadrant overview of average mpg etc. I also use the digital speedometer that is part of the trip mode.
I remember our 2014 escape had the 4 quadrant, the FS doesn't. It does had digital speedo, but I don't use it much.
Only time I care about exact speed is setting cruise, when I'm going to pay a little less attention to speed, but then it shows
you digitally what it is set at.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I do the same on my Fusion Sport and on the SHO since neither had the digital speedo option, although I think FORScan can add it but it's on the left display for the Type 2 cluster which I keep on the digital tachometer anyhow. In many ways I like the Explorer's Type 1 cluster. I just wish it was faster to reset my trip odometers in the Explorer. I have to hold "OK" for a solid 3-5 seconds to reset each one. It's faster on the Fusion's Type 2 cluster.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I remember our 2014 escape had the 4 quadrant, the FS doesn't. It does had digital speedo, but I don't use it much.
Only time I care about exact speed is setting cruise, when I'm going to pay a little less attention to speed, but then it shows
you digitally what it is set at.
Or just install the MKZ cluster, and that way you can have the digital speedometer up all the time, and still have your nice big tach, and pretty much everything else all at the same time. :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Today I got a new gas gauge bug: the warning "empty tank" popped up when the gauge was still indicating 25% of the tank!
I went to the gas station and was able to fill a little more than 12 gallons.
The tank was not empty.
Did somebody get the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
What was your average MPG? The 'fuel low' warning is based off DTE / distance to empty, not the raw level. I've seen my Edge warn me at about 1/4 tank too if I do a lot of city driving. I mostly do highway or back roads with the Fusion so never really get lower MPG there, never had mine come on that early.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi gang. What DaMiFo stated. The low fuel warning light is based on the DTE/Distance to Empty reading. It is not a set point on the fuel gauge. So as an example...If the current driving environment is a low fuel mileage one, the low fuel warning light will come on sooner than non-stop driving at 55 on the highway.

In my older MKZ, the fuel low warning light illuminates at 50 miles to empty. I have not run the tank low enough in my newer MKZ to see what the DTE/Low Fuel light trigger points are set to.

Good luck.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, our low fuel warning comes on when the system determines that you have 50 miles worth of fuel left, base on your current mpg calculation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, for sure my gas mileage is very poor: around 13.8 miles per gallon.
For 50 miles I would need 3.62 gallons.
At the gas station I remember taking a little more than 12 gallons.
The math seems to confirm your explanations.
Thanks.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts