Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
This is incorrect, on my car. Gets to 1/4 tank, then drive 20 miles, it adds almost another 3/16 of a tank and miles to empty goes up by 60 or so. Then drive more and it eventually drops super fast (dropping from 160 miles to empty, to empty in about 80 miles). It does it over and over. It is something in the variable resister in tank float. Not even sure a new FORD unit would fix it.
For what it's worth, my OEM level 2 IPC did this exactly, and so does my Mondeo IPC. Mondeo one isn't quite as obnoxious, but it still does it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Add my MKZ to that list. I parked last night with just over a 1/4 tank of gas. Drove up the street today and watch my gauge drop from just under half a tank to 3/8s and then back up again all within a minute. I'm gonna send these to my dealership and ask their opinion but my gas mileage and DTE have always been off since I have owned the car.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
For what it's worth, my Fusion with the MKZ cluster (which I have on the latest 2018 firmware) still fluctuates a bit. Nowhere near as bad as my OEM 401A cluster did. Just sort-of a heads up if they do even upgrade your IPC's firmware.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For what it's worth, my Fusion with the MKZ cluster (which I have on the latest 2018 firmware) still fluctuates a bit. Nowhere near as bad as my OEM 401A cluster did. Just sort-of a heads up if they do even upgrade your IPC's firmware.
I took Delivery in June of last year and they replaced my cluster in July (they scratched the lense while preparing it for my pickup) so I'm not sure what firmware is on it. I can't get my dealership to upgrade any firmware on my car unless they find an issue with the system.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
You might be on the latest IPC update anyways then. There hasn't been an update for quite some time, but I haven't checked in the past couple months. If you want to check, try this to view the software & calibration versions, then let me know I can tell you if it's the latest (you can PM me if you want - it's nothing identifiable tho, just software versions):

Engineering Test Mode
1) To enter IPC Engineering Test mode, start with the ignition OFF.

2) Press and hold the LH steering wheel d-pad OK button.

2a) Press the ignition button (with your foot off the brake - or start the car, doesn't matter), continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until you see "ET" next to the battery symbol. Let go of the OK button otherwise you'll exit ET mode.

3) Now, press the up or down arrow buttons to scroll through each Test Mode displays. Stop when you see the part number and calibration number (like mine below). What does yours say?

4) Scroll a bit more, you'll see IFS1, IFS2, and IFS3 (like mine below). What does yours say for these 3?

5) To exit the IPC's ET Mode, press and hold the OK button again or switch the ignition OFF.

Reactions: FunktasticLucky

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might be on the latest IPC update anyways then. There hasn't been an update for quite some time, but I haven't checked in the past couple months. If you want to check, try this to view the software & calibration versions, then let me know I can tell you if it's the latest (you can PM me if you want - it's nothing identifiable tho, just software versions):

Engineering Test Mode
1) To enter IPC Engineering Test mode, start with the ignition OFF.

2) Press and hold the LH steering wheel d-pad OK button.

2a) Press the ignition button (with your foot off the brake - or start the car, doesn't matter), continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until you see "ET" next to the battery symbol. Let go of the OK button otherwise you'll exit ET mode.

3) Now, press the up or down arrow buttons to scroll through each Test Mode displays. Stop when you see the part number and calibration number (like mine below). What does yours say?

4) Scroll a bit more, you'll see IFS1, IFS2, and IFS3 (like mine below). What does yours say for these 3?

5) To exit the IPC's ET Mode, press and hold the OK button again or switch the ignition OFF.
I'll let you know tomorrow. She's getting the annual inspection and maintenance done on her. I pick her up tomorrow and I'll get the info for you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would rub that in the dealer's face as much as possible. I've heard more than once from Ford dealerships that we "bought a Ford expecting Lincoln quality".
I mean other than interior and customer service there isnt much difference between the fusion and

The tank and sensor is the issue. All instrument clusters do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Partly true. It's still a firmware thing that Ford hasn't completely sorted out. My OEM 401A IPC was horrible (would drop from 1/2 (after hovering there for a long time) to 1/4 tank in a few miles). I updated my stock IPC before I swapped it, and it did make it a lot more accurate but it still would drop suddenly, but now would hover at 1/4 tank then drop to 1/8 suddenly. My Mondeo IPC doesn't do the 'constant fuel level then sudden drop', but every once in a while it will be somewhat inaccurate (within +-1/8 tank) and fluctuate for a couple miles after I start the car and drive off.

It's not just the electronics in the tank tho, the IPC has it's own circuits for this. There was someone who tried an MKC IPC and it never read the fuel level correctly because it didn't have the right hardware on the IPC main board for a CD4 saddle tank with 2 senders.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just don't understand how hard it is to calculate fuel economy. It isn't like the car doesnt know how much fuel is being used by the engine. I'm still trying ti nail mine down because it's wildly inaccurate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Partly true. It's still a firmware thing that Ford hasn't completely sorted out. My OEM 401A IPC was horrible (would drop from 1/2 (after hovering there for a long time) to 1/4 tank in a few miles). I updated my stock IPC before I swapped it, and it did make it a lot more accurate but it still would drop suddenly, but now would hover at 1/4 tank then drop to 1/8 suddenly. My Mondeo IPC doesn't do the 'constant fuel level then sudden drop', but every once in a while it will be somewhat inaccurate (within +-1/8 tank) and fluctuate for a couple miles after I start the car and drive off.

It's not just the electronics in the tank tho, the IPC has it's own circuits for this. There was someone who tried an MKC IPC and it never read the fuel level correctly because it didn't have the right hardware on the IPC main board for a CD4 saddle tank with 2 senders.
The control is constantly getting conflicting readings so it probably takes snapshots of the level rather than real time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah yes. I have this issue too. Starts to fluctuate only after 1/2th of my tank, but I've noticed it's usually only after I floor it from 0. I was thinking its fine because its the G force?

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
I apologize for bringing up something so old but has Ford fixed this yet? I have a 2017 FFS and this issue is VERY annoying.
Yes, Ford released an IPC firmware upgrade a few years ago to fix this issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Yes, all Fords for of the last couple generations are electronically controlled on the IPC, whether it's an LCD display or an analog needle.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Yup I agree still not perfect. That's interesting to hear tho, mine will drop faster to about 1/2 tank (a lot slower than before), then will hover at 1/2 tank for a little then seems to be stable for thr last half. Doesn't bounce around at all for me anymore

But fwiw, my MKZ cluster on '18 firmware does the same thing as described above. Both are WAY better than when I first got the car in 2016 tho - that was completely unreliable.

Reactions: metroplex
21 - 40 of 63 Posts