Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 FSport has the uprated instrument cluster with the 2 digital displays and the mechanical speedometer. My digital fuel gauge fluctuates very wildly and my DTE calculations fluctuate a lot as well. I have other Fords with the same instrument cluster that do not exhibit this issue. Is this normal for the Fusion Sport? Like I can start the morning drive with 3/4 tank full, and it may go down to 1/2 tank and then come back up the next time I start the car. I understand the fuel sender is a float (I've taken them out on other Fords) but this does not happen on my other late model Fords.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine is the same way. It will show a 1/4 of a tank when I shut the car off and then when I start it back up it will have 1/2 tank in it.
I assume its from the sloshing around, but Ive gotten used to it for the most part. Except the other day, parked the car after work with a 1/4 tank thinking I wouldn't need to get gas anytime soon since I thought in it would be at 1/2. Fired it up the next morning and it read a 1/4.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious if they made a fix for certain build numbers? We have two 2017 Fusion Sports, one assembled JAN 2017 and the other MAY 2017. Both have this issue and both have fuel tanks where the fuel sloshes around extra loud - probably the loudest I've ever heard in a Ford.

When I swapped fuel pumps on my 2007 Mustang GT, I saw that the saddle tank had these metal plates/baffles welded to the floor and the fuel pump basket basically sat on the floor of the tank. The baffle would keep the gas in the suction area. I've never had a problem with wildly fluctuating fuel levels on any Fords other than my 1981 Ford T-bird. The 2014 SHO had the same instrument cluster and the fuel bar was always steady and the distance to empty didn't fluctuate this much either.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That used to be a problem I had occasionally but hasn't done it in a while. Didn't do anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
It's a known issue with the first IPC firmware (for the 2-screen / 'Level 2' cluster) that shipped on 2017 Fusions. Newer ones have updated firmware, and there was an SSM posted for this issue. But, last I checked (which was November) the SSM was said "Engineering is aware, please check back later for updates. No action needed at this time." There was another thread on this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I park on a slight slope at work and I've noticed it takes quite a while to register the "correct" level when back on level ground. I just keep an eye on the gauge so I know that when it changes drastically, it's just temporarily wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one. Even though I have an '18, build date Mar. of '18, it fluctuates a lot more than any analog gauge I've seen. Like others, I give it a bit, or til next time I start a drive, and look for a "trend".

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the standard instrument cluster and it does the same thing from time to time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Happens to the standard gauge cluster as well. It’s just the float settling down is all. If you got a direct reading your gauge would be moving with the waves of fuel. It’s more than likely just the computer taking readings at intervals.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I thought mine didn't do this, but recently I've run it below 1/4 tank
and there is a stretch right near 1/4 tank were guage and miles to empty
add about 1/8th tank and 50 miles more than it was, then it goes to almost to
empty quick.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Asked a second dealer to look at this (first dealer trashed one of my wheels, put scratch in clearcoat on door, and dinged up my interior).
So they said they cannot verify concern. I asked them how they would fix it then. No answer from service guy.
He did say Ford won't let them replace parts unless they KNOW it is bad.

I then asked him if they still use variable resister like they have to 70 odd (maybe more) years.
He didn't know, but I verified via Fusion /MKZ electrical schematic book I bought that it does on non-401a,
and it goes directly to guage without any CAN.

So I then asked if I brought it in with the exact amount of gas where I knew it was wrong, could they use
scan tool to measure resistance and if it was off (say at 1/4 tank, it should be 25% above max-min ohm range,
assuming it is somewhat linear, which I don't know), would they know?

He said he would ask tech. So what does the normal guy do, that doesn't know 80+% of what a tech does?
Very frustrating...............

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can you post pictures of the "standard" vs "level 2" instrument clusters? I want to know what I have lol.
I’ve noticed my gas continues to go down as I drive. And it goes down faster with a lot of WOT. :)

Reactions: ingotsport

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know this is a Fusion Sport enthusiast site, but as a long-time Ford owner I have to say that my 17 Fusion Sport is significantly more problematic than my other Fords with 1 exception - the 1981 T-bird. It was about equal. Just minor quality issues to major problems that may or may not be isolated. Back on topic, this is the first Ford to have such a wildly fluctuating fuel gauge since my 1981 T-bird. Never had a problem on the 1989 E-150, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 E-250, 2007 Mustang, 2014 SHO, or my 2018 Explorer.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Happens to the standard gauge cluster as well. It’s just the float settling down is all. If you got a direct reading your gauge would be moving with the waves of fuel. It’s more than likely just the computer taking readings at intervals.

This is incorrect, on my car. Gets to 1/4 tank, then drive 20 miles, it adds almost another 3/16 of a tank and miles to empty goes up by 60 or so. Then drive more and it eventually drops super fast (dropping from 160 miles to empty, to empty in about 80 miles). It does it over and over. It is something in the variable resister in tank float. Not even sure a new FORD unit would fix it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts