Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey @Hootushead !

How's the new motor working out? Sounds like it's running well. Do you have any handle on how much power (either crank or wheel) you were running before, vs now? Just curious. I think you said you were running Unleashed so I don't know if you'd know exactly what you were/are putting out, but I'm betting it was pretty high before. I'm also always interested in what people are considering safe mild tunes for dailys as well, since my car is a daily.
Replacement engine is running great! I put around 1500mi on it w/o issues and then asked Torrie to send me a conservative 91octane tune. Still running well. 🤞

As for power on the E50, I’m not sure…
IIRC my 91octane/WMI tune dynoed at 335hp/425tq at the wheels. I could tell the E50 tune was putting down WAY more than the 91 but didn’t make it back to the the dyno before she blew.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
First time I've heard this - what's the source for this information?
There are tables in the PCM that show those MPH values. They actually map the speed to the power feed through the unit. But I don't think that's the whole story because like @Shawnski said, it can come on at well over 29 if it's needed. I've seen mine do that too.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Well you learn something new every day, I suppose you could call it RDU, but I've talked to Ford techs and some called it a RDU, others a transfer case. You only have AWD till 29 mph, then it's turned off unless a front wheel spins fast than a rear, or you drop back below 29. One nice thing about doing your own tuning, you can go into the AWD section and change things around some. Raise or lower the mph it turns off the rear, it think you can also change front to back ratio when it's in AWD. I know stock they system favors the front, but you could set it up say 50/50 or send more to the back, not sure it would handle it though. The axles in the back are tiny.
Are you saying the display that shows front/rear "power" is lying, as I've seen it show some to the rear, if floored, way over 29 MPH.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Are you saying the display that shows front/rear "power" is lying, as I've seen it show some to the rear, if floored, way over 29 MPH.
I was thinking it's more likely that the table that goes up to 29 MPH is one of several factors that can trigger the rear unit to engage. I don't think it's the only one, though. Wheel slip and sudden high throttle are two others that come to mind.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's in the programing, if you do your own tuning you know this. I can go in and change things around if I like, but the system works good the way it is, so why screw with it. Why they have it at 29 is anyone's guess, some Ford engineer wanted to screw with people so he had fun with it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That's part of the programing, I guess I should have said once you hit 29 and your just cruising along, it shuts off. If you get in it hard, it comes back on. maybe just to keep ahead of the game, also would make sense that the torque steer programing is commanding it, even if the roads are dry and you have next to no chance of it spinning a front wheel due to you heavy right foot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are you saying that when you're starting from a standstill under very light throttle in the dry, it runs in AWD until you hit 29mph? Smart if that's the case.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi gang. Yes, as mentioned, if cruising along on the highway, the system will go to full FWD. But get on the gas going straight or in turns (at any speed), and the system will send power/torque to the rear wheels. How much is determined by the system algorithms.

Good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are you saying that when you're starting from a standstill under very light throttle in the dry, it runs in AWD until you hit 29mph? Smart if that's the case.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. then if any one of the front tires loose traction it switches back to AWD till the wheel speeds all match.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I can also change the bias between front n rear if I want with tuning, Stock its set to FWD, but you can set it to RWD. Might be fun in the winter, LOL.

Reactions: eric

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. then if any one of the front tires loose traction it switches back to AWD till the wheel speeds all match.
My question is, does it run only in AWD below 29mph, as opposed to defaulting to FWD?

Also, based on what I've read about Ford's Intelligent AWD, it does not need to wait until the front wheels slip before engaging the rears. The system monitors all sorts of parameters and it can go into AWD before any slip actually occurs. It's more likely to do this if it's cold or wet, if you're in sport mode, etc.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My question is, does it run only in AWD below 29mph, as opposed to defaulting to FWD?

Also, based on what I've read about Ford's Intelligent AWD, it does not need to wait until the front wheels slip before engaging the rears. The system monitors all sorts of parameters and it can go into AWD before any slip actually occurs. It's more likely to do this if it's cold or wet, if you're in sport mode, etc.
I agree with all of that (but I don't have any inside knowledge of course). But from looking at the PCM tables, that's pretty much how it appears to work.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, the rear torque based purely on low speed is not digital, it backs off as your speed increases. Although if it needs more, it'll certainly send more back. You can confirm that with your gauge, and you'll see it smoothly back off the rear torque when accelerating. For efficiency, that's pretty much ideal.

·
Registered
847 Posts

You have yaw rate and lateral sensors in the RCM that the system uses also, that would give it the advantage of being ahead of the tire slip for sure.

Reactions: Engineer and LeVeL

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, one one thing I can do is switch the bias, then watch the screen as I drive. Let you know how that changes things

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You have yaw rate and lateral sensors in the RCM that the system uses also, that would give it the advantage of being ahead of the tire slip for sure.
I bet that's feeding into the Stability Control system as well since that's connected to the RCM. Am I right? Just a novice guess but it sounds right. 🙂

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, one one thing I can do is switch the bias, then watch the screen as I drive. Let you know how that changes things
I would love to see the results of that! This could help shut up some stinger owners too...

·
Registered
847 Posts
No, not that I,ve seen, but I can look around here in a minute.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I bet that's feeding into the Stability Control system as well since that's connected to the RCM. Am I right? Just a novice guess but it sounds right. 🙂
Yes, the Stability control system uses the sensors in the RCM. One reason you loose it after the bags deploy, the system shuts off after that if I remember right. The whole thing is pretty complex, you have sub systems working with other systems. That's why if any one of say a group goes down for what ever reason, it effects the whole group and not just that one system.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts