Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always been an enthusiast with a soft spot for Fords. So like many of us, I like quick yet practical sedans. My previous car was a 2004 Chrysler 300M (last year of the FWD LH platform) that I just never got to mod. Loved the idea of rebuilding the motor up to 300hp but never had the $$ to spend. Briefly considered getting a 200S back in 2016 but found them just a bit too small. Vehicle looks are also important to me and my top cars based on looks were the Mazda 6 (sexiest sedan), Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200 and Nissan Maxima. Like I said, the 200 was a little too small and the 6 only had the NA 2.5 at the time. Being an ardent reader of C&D and MT, when I read rumours that the Sport was coming back for the Fusion's mid-cycle update I was excited. Then when I heard the Sport was gonna use the 2.7, that sealed the deal. But being a Canadian, Ford Canada was only getting the 401A Sport's that carried a MSRP of 42-3k and Mazda 6's with the turbo 2.5 specced the way I wanted were 41k. So I started looking at used Maxima's but they had to be the sportier SR trim, which turned out to be hard to find, but I just kept coming back to wanting a Sport or the turbo 2.5 Mazda 6 but especially the Sport. Then in late 2017 the problems with my Chrysler were starting to mount, nothing major just minor things but I began questioning just how much longer she would last. And so in late 2018 I started keeping an eye on low mileage used Sport's in Lightning Blue and Burgundy Velvet, the 2 colours I love this car in. Then in the late spring of 2019 I found my Sport, 1200km away (750miles) for 30k and just over 25000km (15500 miles) mileage. Waffled on buying for several weeks but ultimately pulled the trigger in the first week of June.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yep brand new 2019 in Velocity Blue. I don't remember what the sales price was, but I think about $3k of it was taxes, tags, dealer prep (was not prepped). It was somewhere around $31k before the extra costs.

Just above 6,000 miles on her now after 1.5 years of ownership.

View attachment 27288
Beautiful picture!! Well done!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep brand new 2019 in Velocity Blue. I don't remember what the sales price was, but I think about $3k of it was taxes, tags, dealer prep (was not prepped). It was somewhere around $31k before the extra costs.

Just above 6,000 miles on her now after 1.5 years of ownership.

View attachment 27288
Awesome! Me and my girlfriend both love that blue. Gotta be the best blue available from any manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've always been an enthusiast with a soft spot for Fords. So like many of us, I like quick yet practical sedans. My previous car was a 2004 Chrysler 300M (last year of the FWD LH platform) that I just never got to mod. Loved the idea of rebuilding the motor up to 300hp but never had the $$ to spend. Briefly considered getting a 200S back in 2016 but found them just a bit too small. Vehicle looks are also important to me and my top cars based on looks were the Mazda 6 (sexiest sedan), Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200 and Nissan Maxima. Like I said, the 200 was a little too small and the 6 only had the NA 2.5 at the time. Being an ardent reader of C&D and MT, when I read rumours that the Sport was coming back for the Fusion's mid-cycle update I was excited. Then when I heard the Sport was gonna use the 2.7, that sealed the deal. But being a Canadian, Ford Canada was only getting the 401A Sport's that carried a MSRP of 42-3k and Mazda 6's with the turbo 2.5 specced the way I wanted were 41k. So I started looking at used Maxima's but they had to be the sportier SR trim, which turned out to be hard to find, but I just kept coming back to wanting a Sport or the turbo 2.5 Mazda 6 but especially the Sport. Then in late 2017 the problems with my Chrysler were starting to mount, nothing major just minor things but I began questioning just how much longer she would last. And so in late 2018 I started keeping an eye on low mileage used Sport's in Lightning Blue and Burgundy Velvet, the 2 colours I love this car in. Then in the late spring of 2019 I found my Sport, 1200km away (750miles) for 30k and just over 25000km (15500 miles) mileage. Waffled on buying for several weeks but ultimately pulled the trigger in the first week of June.
It was all about finding the perfect one for me too. Sometimes you have to wait. I briefly considered the Maxima since I very much appreciate the way it looks and sounds, but the interior and lack of AWD really put a damper on my spirits (not to mention the dreaded CVT).
I’m loving the AWD in rainy Florida. < 6 seconds to 60 in the pouring rain versus people who don’t think AWD is necessary in the South is fun to watch; especially when the guy next lane thinks it’s “just a Fusion.”
The sleeper aspect of this car is one I'm quickly beginning to enjoy. Although I let my girlfriend drive yesterday and we got walked by a 335i 😭. She didn't really know how to lean on the throttle correctly I think.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In 17 was looking for a 4 door, AWD, V6, one year old. Really was only the charger that I knew of the time that fit the bill. Test drove it a couple of times but it didn't have a muscle car feel. I'd bought into the marketing of the charger but it didn't materialize behind the wheel. European brands were considered but would be at least 3 years old for similar money. Also no mechanics that specialized in those brands close to either work or home. Spoke to coworkers and the service cost for their Audis and mercs was stupid. The math didn't workout for what I wanted.

The turning point was that my old car was about to die and wasn't safe to drive anymore. On the Tuesday I decided I'd get the charger on the Saturday. Kept searching the net for some super deal (at the time i was trying to see whether i could find a one or two year old SHO heavily discounted) and came across the FFS. Did a test drive on the Friday evening and called the dealer when I got home to secure the deal. Fell in love with the car in the first 100 yards of the test drive, always loved the shape since seeing its launch at the motor show. Sales guy did a deal with 0% finance and with an extra year of repayments, the monthly payments were the same as the second hand charger. BTW, in Canada only th 401a was available. The only option I could chose was 3M covering on the nose - which I later regretted not getting.

Destiny was looking after me with this one. Still loving it as much today. Based on my extensive cross shopping and the items that were and were not important to me, it was the best valued car in its price bracket. R/T, WRX, A4, XE, A63, 320i were all 8-10k more and sometimes for less features. Never regretted it.
Lots of good math. The Challenger sounds good I think but the NA V6 I have heard is a bit of a dog.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It's a midsized sedan with good power and awd that nobody suspects at a stoplight.

I could be persuaded out of it for a Genesis G70 Sport 3.3t, a Bronco, or the new Torino Cobra Jet (shortened Continental-esque body with Explorer ST drivetrain). Unfortunately the latter only exists in my dreams.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's a midsized sedan with good power and awd that nobody suspects at a stoplight.

I could be persuaded out of it for a Genesis G70 Sport 3.3t, a Bronco, or the new Torino Cobra Jet (shortened Continental-esque body with Explorer ST drivetrain). Unfortunately the latter only exists in my dreams.
A new Torino Cobra would be incredible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
GIVE ME A 3.0L EB CD6 FUSION WAGON!!
No wait!
GIVE ME A GODZILLA 7.3L CROWN VIC!!
No wait!
GIVE ME A MODERN VERSION OF A 1967 FAIRLANE GTA!!
No wait! I’ve already got one!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first car was a 1968 Mustang. In 1989 I got a new Ford Probe (Turbo) - which was quite a high-tech upgrade. Then a 1997 Expedition followed by a 2004 Expedition. My wife had a 1995 Toyota Camry V6 and I remembered it was a nimble little sprite. I sought that fun to drive feeling and looked at the sport for 2 years. The Expedition reliability forced me to get a new 2019 Sport off the lot - and a exponential upgrade to the 89 Probe and 96 Camry. Amazing that we get 325 bhp now. My best car yet. I never called myself a Ford man as it always had the model I was searching for and I committed when I knew this was the last year for the Sport.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You guys! How can you have a car washed and polished so nice as in your pictures! Mine is 3 years old now and kinda looks more "sleeper" than before

·
Registered
352 Posts
Vsfan, my car now has nearly 110k miles accumulated driving through and to scrap yards and industrial sites in OH, PA, WV, KY, MI, IN, IL and it shows. I take care of my car but anywhere I go, it goes. There’s a ding on every panel (including the roof!?!) except the right front fender and trunk lid. The paint on the front clip and hood is either chipped completely off or the clearcoat is so badly blasted that it appears dusty. Underneath the front bumper is badly scraped from bottoming on railroad crossings and scale ramps. Someone hit the rear bumper with a luggage cart at a hotel, and smashed my right rear bumper reflector. I’ve worked on or had work done so much under the hood that the fender tops and edges are actually buffed dull in some places. The Ford “piano black” plastic trim has not held up well to the scrap yard grit, salt brine, and hundreds of washes. The interior has held up rather better than some other Fords I’ve worn out over the years, though. All in all, my car won’t win any car shows, but it still cleans up decent enough. I really admire the folks who have the ability to keep their cars low mileage, tend to their paint, and have beautiful upgrades to their wheels, brakes, engine compartments. I’m often jealous of them, but when I get behind the wheel, I can’t see any of my cosmetic flaws, and the car is so satisfying and fun to drive...I just drive it all the time! I could rent a car for really long trips but I choose to drive my Sport because it’s just so rewarding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Shawnski i wish I could be like you. I’ve skipped out on social events due to the crammed venue parking lots and the thought of possibly getting a scratch or ding. 😂

·
Registered
352 Posts
My wife & I are the second owners of an unrestored original 17k mile 1966 Thunderbird that we can’t leave unattended anywhere, not even at car shows! It’s liberating to be able to have a cool car that you can still use like a car.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You guys! How can you have a car washed and polished so nice as in your pictures! Mine is 3 years old now and kinda looks more "sleeper" than before
Well, I got my car just a few weeks ago so credit goes to the previous two owners for taking such good care of this beautiful platinum white.

What I've been doing so far is basically washing the car whenever she is dirty. 😂 I'm saving to take her in for a paint correction (in the spots where it's needed) and a ceramic coating.

I think that if things are feeling dull for your car that may be the treat. A good polish and correction on the paint will bring it back to life, then a ceramic coating will help keep it alive.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My first car was a 1968 Mustang. In 1989 I got a new Ford Probe (Turbo) - which was quite a high-tech upgrade. Then a 1997 Expedition followed by a 2004 Expedition. My wife had a 1995 Toyota Camry V6 and I remembered it was a nimble little sprite. I sought that fun to drive feeling and looked at the sport for 2 years. The Expedition reliability forced me to get a new 2019 Sport off the lot - and a exponential upgrade to the 89 Probe and 96 Camry. Amazing that we get 325 bhp now. My best car yet. I never called myself a Ford man as it always had the model I was searching for and I committed when I knew this was the last year for the Sport.
Sorry to see your post so late! I also have a 1st gen Expedition, what was going on with yours?

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Clay bar, wash with a high-shine soap, then use a poly wax, all with soft dedicated cloths. Of course, use high quality products too (nothing crazy). Often the stuff that's mostly available online is the way to go (nut not always) such as Chemical Guys, Griot's Garage, etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, I got my car just a few weeks ago so credit goes to the previous two owners for taking such good care of this beautiful platinum white.

What I've been doing so far is basically washing the car whenever she is dirty. 😂 I'm saving to take her in for a paint correction (in the spots where it's needed) and a ceramic coating.

I think that if things are feeling dull for your car that may be the treat. A good polish and correction on the paint will bring it back to life, then a ceramic coating will help keep it alive.
Two previous owners!? Wow! You are fortunate! Although white ages so much better than every other color besides maybe silver. I built an off-road truck back in the Nineties and when I ordered the base vehicle I chose plain white. Ten years later it rusted away but the paint that was left still looked good! Im pretty sure that Platinum White is a tri-coat like my Burgundy Velvet. I took it for a paint correction and coating a couple years ago and the guy screwed it up because he didn’t know the clearcoat was tinted! He used the wrong clearcoat cutter and ended up having the car two days instead of one. Based on how the finish held up, I’m pretty sure he cheated me on the ceramic because he was taking a bath on the hours.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts