Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...which I assume means he wasn't giving it all the beans.

On my way to work this morning on the mostly dry, but icy cold streets, I noticed a fancy looking Audi behind me. We ended up side by side at a light that is a pretty good candidate for people trying to cut each other off. When the light turned, I rolled on to see if he was going for it, and when he accelerated faster than most DDs do, I gave it the beans and lurched ahead. He must've done the same, because after that initial jump, he was glued to my c-pillar for the few seconds we had before I had to back off to avoid the hefty parking fine that inevitably comes with parking in someone else's trunk.

Anyway, I assume he was at least as traction limited as I was, and since I didn't hear a screaming Audi V8 as he ripped by, he probably wasn't asking for all it had to give. However, since I can buy 3 or 4 Fusion Sports for the price of an Audi RS7, I'm proclaiming this one a win for the FuSpo community. (y)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Anyway, I assume he was at least as traction limited as I was, and since I didn't hear a screaming Audi V8 as he ripped by, he probably wasn't asking for all it had to give. However, since I can buy 3 or 4 Fusion Sports for the price of an Audi RS7, I'm proclaiming this one a win for the FuSpo community. (y)
That's the thing about these cars. Are there more luxurious cars? Absolutely. Are there faster cars? Definitely, sure. But at anywhere near the price range of our cars, I haven't seen anything that can compete with the package you get, and the level of performance. You have to get into cars that are usually 2-3x as expensive before you get everything an FFS will give you.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I would have liked to seen his face when he did not pass you lmao

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have liked to seen his face when he did not pass you lmao
I bet it was either a look of extreme smugness knowing that he only needed a few more feet of runway to open it up and blow my doors off, or a look of extreme confusion as to how this lowly, unassuming Ford Fusion was still ahead of him.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This was you...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I ran against a RS7 on the street with my tune-only SHO, and the SHO launched like a rocket. The RS7 was trying (no doubt it was WOT from the sound), but I guess it was still stock.He tried again for several other lights but no dice. haha

·
Registered
902 Posts
Rs7 does 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat.
Yeah we aren't even close to that but neither is the price. :cool: I could never have bought an RS-7. There's no way. The R8 is awesome too, but I couldn't afford one of those either. I mean there are plenty of great cars out there that I can't afford. The Ford GT would be nice but I can't afford one of those either. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rs7 does 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat.
The 1st gen only makes 550hp and is slightly heavier than our car. It's still a much faster car than all but the fastest FuSports, but it's not impossible that I actually held him off in this situation if he was being gimped by traction control. Like I said, I know he was in the much faster car, but in a smiles per dollar contest, I bet I spank him up and down the street.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 1st gen only makes 550hp and is slightly heavier than our car. It's still a much faster car than all but the fastest FuSports, but it's not impossible that I actually held him off in this situation if he was being gimped by traction control. Like I said, I know he was in the much faster car, but in a smiles per dollar contest, I bet I spank him up and down the street.
Bot, good story. I recently took my new manager (who just bought an RS7) out to lunch & drove my Sport. I had to shoot a gap in traffic while making a left turn while exiting our facility. He was impressed by the acceleration & asked me what kind of car we were riding in.....we were discussing business upon climbing into the car so he didn't even notice what he was getting into. When I told him "a Fusion." He replied, "no. Really. What is this?"
"A Fusion."
"OK, so you don't want to tell me. I just bought an Audi & it isn't as quick as this."
So we get got the parking lot & he walks around the car & sees the Fusion badge & says "you weren't kidding it IS a Fusion! Wow! You really had me going!"
To which I replied; "Wow, sounds like you just pissed away 80K."
He laughed, "yeah, I think you're right!" (BTW...he's kind of a cheapskate)
He was actually pretty cool about it. If I were him, I would've fired a smart-alec like myself....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like you caught him underestimating the car. It probably took a second to recover from the shock before he squeezed the right pedal a bit harder. A second or so is a great equalizer, particularly if you both only got up to 50ish and had to let off.

That driver will definitely be looking twice before taking it easy with a Fusion again. Kudos to you.

Great story Bot, really cool bragging rights. Guessing the RS7 is off the shopping list now - next car can't be a downgrade. Lol.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That's the thing about these cars. Are there more luxurious cars? Absolutely. Are there faster cars? Definitely, sure. But at anywhere near the price range of our cars, I haven't seen anything that can compete with the package you get, and the level of performance. You have to get into cars that are usually 2-3x as expensive before you get everything an FFS will give you.
The best part is NO ONE expects a Fusion to get them so hard form a dig. They are not ready for it, and by the time they react, it's all over.
Even the mighty Tesla 3 is not all that 0-30, compared to a tuned Sport in good air. About the same really.

By 60 of course, it would trash us, but most stoplight junkets are over by 30 MPH. Combine that with no rules
in "street merging" situations. You can deep stage by half a car length. Unsuspecting sucker does not know what the hell you are
doing, then you blow by @ 10 MPH already @ the line (green), if you watch side lights closely, you know when it's coming.

Tuned Fusion

Model 3 (MT, 2018 Dual Motor Perf)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its more likely he didnt know he was racing. Even a Tuned FS isnt going to have a chance against an RS7. No way no how. They are 0-60 2.5 seconds faster stock to stock and like 4 seconds quicker in the quarter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah we aren't even close to that but neither is the price. :cool: I could never have bought an RS-7. There's no way. The R8 is awesome too, but I couldn't afford one of those either. I mean there are plenty of great cars out there that I can't afford. The Ford GT would be nice but I can't afford one of those either. :LOL:
Me too, but I also dont have any delusion our cars are anywhere near that class of car. Its somewhat quick for a 4 door dad car.....There is a reason why an RS7 is 80k. An RS7 is in 911 territory performance wise. Esp if there are corners.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Me too, but I also dont have any delusion our cars are anywhere near that class of car. Its somewhat quick for a 4 door dad car.....There is a reason why an RS7 is 80k. An RS7 is in 911 territory performance wise. Esp if there are corners.
I don't have that delusion either, but a lot of what wins races is the driver. You need a good car, but you need a really good driver too. You can be pretty competitive in a 1.5L Ecoboost if you know how to drive it. I mean there are limits obviously, and if the difference between the performance of the cars is too great you can't make it up with just driving skill, but the driver is possibly the most important part of the equation in most cases, in my opinion. You want them to have the best car they can, but the driver is huge.

Anyway if you found an RS7 for only 80 grand you should snatch that sucker up. That's an incredible deal.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its more likely he didnt know he was racing. Even a Tuned FS isnt going to have a chance against an RS7. No way no how. They are 0-60 2.5 seconds faster stock to stock and like 4 seconds quicker in the quarter.
On icy cold pavement at very low speeds, power isn't the deciding factor between the two cars. You're correct, though, we didn't orchestrate any formal "race," but when he realized I was going for it, he very clearly went for it as well. As I say, I was deliberate in my actions to prod him into it.

Again, nobody here is saying a Sport is faster than a car 4x the price. The point is that I undoubtedly surprised him, even if the event was very much in my favor.

·
Registered
559 Posts
“If you find yourself in a fair fight, you’re guilty of poor planning”
Attributed to numerous war-fighting men but I heard it first from Col. Jeff Cooper

·
Registered
51 Posts
To which I replied; "Wow, sounds like you just pissed away 80K."
He laughed, "yeah, I think you're right!" (BTW...he's kind of a cheapskate)
He was actually pretty cool about it. If I were him, I would've fired a smart-alec like myself....
LMAO you guys must have a good relationship. I might have said something more passively, "I'm sure your interior is a lot nicer than mine..." I bet he went back to his car after work and pulled the same left just to placate his ego/wallet. Sitting passenger also feels different than when you're driver and expecting it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts