Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Which tires would you get

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sometimes that's true. I've found more often than not, though, if you're willing to put in the time to do your own research, you can get a lot more than what you pay for. The big name tire companies put a lot of time and resources into making a large variety of constantly evolving tires. You pay for quality, innovation, and marketing. Some companies make quality products, but don't put a ton of money into marketing or r&d to make minor improvements on an already good product. If we want to save a few bucks, it's up to us to figure out where the "cheap" tires had their cost cut. Not all of them had it cut from quality.
I have tons of Chinese rims. They are much easier to see quality deficiencies up front. You can see if they are out of tolerance before even using them.
You can even check materials after they are made (I have access to that equipment, and have). Not so much with tires, as it's just about as much of how
they are constructed, as what materials were used. Are you claiming you have somehow checked new tire quality? Obviously, there is no guarantee even
if you buy top of the line Mich, but I've had Chinese tires fail catastrophically. I've had Chinse rims out of round (often, even when new), but never outright fail.
I've had a "bit" of experience doing 100's of engineering investigations for 35 years for the Navy. It's a lot harder to investigate something like a tire
(they way it is constructed), vs something like a rim.......... So to each there own, but that's why I won't buy cheap tires, especially from China.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Being made in China doesn't have the same implications that it used to have, nor does being made in any country. It depends entirely on how much oversight and quality control a company has in it's factories. There are some extremely high quality products that come out of China, and some pure **** that is made right here by American hands. I know because I was appalled by some of my co-workers' lack of pride in their work when I worked at a machine shop. Look at Firestone for a more tire specific example.

No, I don't have fancy test equipment to personally test tires. I do have a lot of free time to read reviews and company profiles, though. Look at Atturo Trailblades vs Nitto TerraGrapplers. The Atturo is cheap tire made in china, but the people that bought it are generally happier than a the popular big name nitto.

At the end of the day, you are free to spend your money however you like. Some people pay more because a dealer or website tells them what's best for them. I prefer to look for the hidden gems, and don't pay attention to the "made in" sticker that doesn't mean anything anymore.

·
Registered
363 Posts
perhaps I was hoping it would be North America wide sale... as im in Canada
Jump on Canadian Tire website. They have all the rebates for manufacturers listed. They keep it up to date reasonably well, however you have to keep checking in as they don't put it up until the actual date (no advanced warning).
Michelin have a 100 buck spring rebate on at the moment.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just got this in the mail today from Tire Rack...

Attachments

41 - 47 of 47 Posts