Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Which tires would you get

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock Goodyears are in need of replacement (around 32k) and I'm looking for a better replacement. I've narrowed it down to either the Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 in 245/40/19 or Yokohama YK 740 GTX in 235/40/19.

There's about a $30.00 per tire difference with the Yokos coming in at $190.00 and Sumitomos at $163.00 each.

They both get good ratings as far as I can tell and both seem like a worthy upgrade to the OEMs.

Any advise/comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
My choice is the Yokohama but I like the size better for the sumitomos

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My choice is the Yokohama but I like the size better for the sumitomos
So it's a wash in your opinion... Yeah, I'm in the same boat, hence the post. All things being equal, I'm leaning towards saving the $120.00 and going with the Sumitomos.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
That is my thought as well

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Radar 255x35/19

Reactions: dbsimms63

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have Yokohama GTX tires on my FFS currently. I have no complaints about them. They are noisier than Michelins. Grip well in the wet. Did well in the snow and ice we had here in Shreveport back in February, as long as you didn't try to push too hard. I had no issues going where I wanted to go. They are NOT snow tires, but they did well for an all season tire.

Reactions: Craigbob

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I had Radar brand 255x35 on my original Sport, and thought they looked fantastic. I can't say I really pay attention to noise as long as it's not obnoxious, which those weren't. My current Sport came with Kelly Edge A/S, which did great in the snow. Also not obnoxiously loud.

I love underdog tires.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The amount of abuse I have seen the DWS06 in 245/40R19 take and keep on trucking is nothing short of impressive. The owner of the vehicle pushes her car to the limits in all weather conditions (her only primary vehicle) and she put 55k on her first set of DWS06 and got every ounce of tread/capability from them, and bought another set because she liked them so much. I ran DWS06 in 275/40R19 on my SHO and those tires gripped and gripped and could handle potholes.

Two things that price shouldn't be a limiting factor: tires and brakes. The DWS06 aren't that expensive comparatively speaking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Yokohama GTX tires on my FFS currently. I have no complaints about them. They are noisier than Michelins. Grip well in the wet. Did well in the snow and ice we had here in Shreveport back in February, as long as you didn't try to push too hard. I had no issues going where I wanted to go. They are NOT snow tires, but they did well for an all season tire.
Considering I'm in San Antonio Tx, I don't anticipate too much of an opportunity to drive in the snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The amount of abuse I have seen the DWS06 in 245/40R19 take and keep on trucking is nothing short of impressive. The owner of the vehicle pushes her car to the limits in all weather conditions (her only primary vehicle) and she put 55k on her first set of DWS06 and got every ounce of tread/capability from them, and bought another set because she liked them so much. I ran DWS06 in 275/40R19 on my SHO and those tires gripped and gripped and could handle potholes.

Two things that price shouldn't be a limiting factor: tires and brakes. The DWS06 aren't that expensive comparatively speaking.
While I agree that price shouldn't be a limiting factor on tires and brakes, budgets are. Unless I someone wants to subsidize the purchase I do have to live within a budget and try to get the best deal for the budget I have to work with.

Based on that I think the sumitomos give me the best bang for my buck based on all the reviews I've read and watched.

The DWS06 are $45.00 more per tire Which adds up to $180.00 + tax that I can use for other necessities.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I’ve popped two Badyear factory tires on the Fusion just from small potholes. I plan on DWS06s next time around. $180 isn’t a big expense at all. Just don’t eat out for a few meals and you’ll save at least that.

Texas doesn’t get any snow except for this year. The DWS means Dry Wet and Snow. I find that these type of all seasons last longer than summer specific tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve popped two Badyear factory tires on the Fusion just from small potholes. I plan on DWS06s next time around. $180 isn’t a big expense at all. Just don’t eat out for a few meals and you’ll save at least that.

Texas doesn’t get any snow except for this year. The DWS means Dry Wet and Snow. I find that these type of all seasons last longer than summer specific tires.
Well I found a local (non chain) tire shop who has the DWS06 Plus (newer version) in 245/40/19 for $195/tire mounted and balanced. As they're only $5.00 than the Yokohamas I'm going with that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Make sure to check date codes on the tire. Just to make sure they are not selling you a 5 year old tire.

Reactions: Shawnski
1 - 20 of 42 Posts