Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like a great deal. What's wrong? Looks to be 400A package, but the ad says heated mirrors. Even models with 60k-80k miles are listed close to $20k. I just sold mine (had no options except all weather floor mats, 30k miles) for $20k and saw it immediately listed for $24.4k. This looks like a good deal.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
336 Posts
I think branded titles can come from cars that were totalled, fixed, then retitled as "salvage".

If the car was put back together right it may be a good deal, but some are of the mind after an accident that a car is never the same.

Do keep in mind that a total doesn't mean significant damage either. My Fusion was very nearly totalled after a collision with a curb that set my airbags off.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Pics look good, it's obviously 400A but I don't see anything about the branding on the title saying what happened there. Could be flood damage, or lemon law, or who knows what. If someone was willing to check it out it might be a really good deal depending on the situation, especially if you're mostly wanting it for a track car (where the 400A is probably kind of ideal).

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lol our cars don’t have an LSD, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before I bought the one did, I checked into one like that. It had a branded title. It was a Ford buy back sold by a ford dealer. If you were looking to finance, most banks won’t touch em, but if it’s an actual Ford buy back car, Ford will finance it, but the longest warranty they offer is a 12 month 12k mile warranty on their buy back cars.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Before I bought the one did, I checked into one like that. It had a branded title. It was a Ford buy back sold by a ford dealer. If you were looking to finance, most banks won’t touch em, but if it’s an actual Ford buy back car, Ford will finance it, but the longest warranty they offer is a 12 month 12k mile warranty on their buy back cars.
If they fixed everything before they sold it though, that'd still be a great deal, if that's what it was, probably. You figure you'd be getting a 17 FFS all fixed up by Ford, and probably all the problems would be resolved by the time you got it. But it all depends on the particular car, what happened, how repairs were done, all that.

It could also be something like hail damage, which can cause a lot of dents and so forth and reduce the value, but depending on the buyer it may not even matter to them. I actually think (with some checking things out) it might be a good deal for someone looking to get in an FFS, but they'd want to check it out first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If they fixed everything before they sold it though, that'd still be a great deal, if that's what it was, probably. You figure you'd be getting a 17 FFS all fixed up by Ford, and probably all the problems would be resolved by the time you got it. But it all depends on the particular car, what happened, how repairs were done, all that.

It could also be something like hail damage, which can cause a lot of dents and so forth and reduce the value, but depending on the buyer it may not even matter to them. I actually think (with some checking things out) it might be a good deal for someone looking to get in an FFS, but they'd want to check it out first.
For sure no doubt!! I honestly contemplated buying the one I saw at Capitol Ford in Charlotte. They told me specifically that all their buy back cars get sent back to the ford engineers, they fix it and put it back for sale. My hesitation came in with only a 12k mile warranty and resale value should I ever NEED to sell the car in an emergency. Plus, I came across the one I bought at a Nissan dealership for about $2500 more than the one at capitol ford. I’ll spend $2500 for a clean title lol but if someone was paying cash, making it a track car, or even if they know they’ll never sell it, buy backs are a pretty decent value! On CarGurus.com, it looks like that car hasn’t had any accidents, but has a lemon history reported. So I’d assume it’s probably a buy back that’s been checked over by the ford engineers

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
For sure no doubt!! I honestly contemplated buying the one I saw at Capitol Ford in Charlotte. They told me specifically that all their buy back cars get sent back to the ford engineers, they fix it and put it back for sale. My hesitation came in with only a 12k mile warranty and resale value should I ever NEED to sell the car in an emergency. Plus, I came across the one I bought at a Nissan dealership for about $2500 more than the one at capitol ford. I’ll spend $2500 for a clean title lol but if someone was paying cash, making it a track car, or even if they know they’ll never sell it, buy backs are a pretty decent value! On CarGurus.com, it looks like that car hasn’t had any accidents, but has a lemon history reported. So I’d assume it’s probably a buy back that’s been checked over by the ford engineers
Yeah my guess, then, based on what you found, is that was one of the cars that had the defects in the engine and so forth. The original owner was probably disgusted with the car by the time they returned it; it probably suffered from the dead-battery firmware feature as well, and probably all the early-adopter-syndrome "features" those early 17s had. But that's just a guess.

Like you said though, it's probably fine now, except for the simple fact it has a branded title. In fact there's a good chance its second owner just sold it, and that the original owner got rid of it a few years ago. If that's the case, the second owner probably was happy with it for a few years, which is all most people keep their cars anyway. So my guess is it's fine, just a smokin' great deal. :cool:

BTW hello from a fellow NC FFS owner. ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
A lot of people will talk **** about salvage titled cars n trucks only because they have no idea what they're talking about. It's a 80% thresh hold, air bags can put a car past that. Wheels tires, suspension parts. It all adds up in a hurry, Head lights alone are about 1500 a piece for a Sport. So take a front end hit, a bumper cover, two head lights and bags, throw in some cooling, and it's done. One thing nice about the Fusion is the rebar on the front takes a lot of the impact, and we don't see a lot of them needing major pulling on a frame machine if any at all. We built a lot of them where I work, and I can tell you, they drove like new when we were done, and had no issues. Sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there building totals that have no business doing it, they cut corners and use junk parts, or don't even use the correct parts at all. I had a 2016 Escape Titanium that was fixed and had cheap base head lights and the wrong front bumper cover on it. The park assist didn't work due to not have any sensors in the bumper, on top of the hacked up wiring for the head lights that didn't belong on the car. So yeah I can see why some would have nothing good to say about a salvage titled car, but we don't all fix them the wrong way, and it doesn't mean the car will never be the same.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
336 Posts
A lot of people will talk **** about salvage titled cars n trucks only because they have no idea what they're talking about. It's a 80% thresh hold, air bags can put a car past that. Wheels tires, suspension parts. It all adds up in a hurry, Head lights alone are about 1500 a piece for a Sport. So take a front end hit, a bumper cover, two head lights and bags, throw in some cooling, and it's done. One thing nice about the Fusion is the rebar on the front takes a lot of the impact, and we don't see a lot of them needing major pulling on a frame machine if any at all. We built a lot of them where I work, and I can tell you, they drove like new when we were done, and had no issues. Sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there building totals that have no business doing it, they cut corners and use junk parts, or don't even use the correct parts at all. I had a 2016 Escape Titanium that was fixed and had cheap base head lights and the wrong front bumper cover on it. The park assist didn't work due to not have any sensors in the bumper, on top of the hacked up wiring for the head lights that didn't belong on the car. So yeah I can see why some would have nothing good to say about a salvage titled car, but we don't all fix them the wrong way, and it doesn't mean the car will never be the same.
I personally believe cars (and really most other things) should be fixed rather than thrown away or turned into parts. I understand that most of the time just totalling a vehicle is more cash efficient than anything else, but it feels very wasteful to me.

Not to mention that I and I'd imagine some of you form an emotional attachment to these vehicles. I think the Japanese actually have a thing where tools have souls, and after a 100 years of service a tool becomes animate and alive.

Anyways, if I got into a bad accident tomorrow I would seriously consider fixing my Fusion even if it were cheaper to find a new one.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Or folding mirrors.....
Yeah I wasn't sure about that part because they do fold, but they're manual folding. They're definitely not the ones that automatically fold when you park.

I tell you what I thought was strange though. On a fully loaded 401A, the steering wheel tilt is still manual. What's up with that? You have to get a Titanium and downgrade your drivetrain to get power tilt? Makes no sense to me.

But then again, I consider the FFS to be the highest trim.

Sorry if that was confusing: I sort of digressed there, from the discussion of this particular car for sale, to ranting a little on Ford's choices of options for our cars. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
A link may be helpful to other users for more information - here's the car in question.

Looks like a lemon buyback. Also seems to be at a little buy-here pay-here dealer, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some extra fees where they'll make some of their money back.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A link may be helpful to other users for more information - here's the car in question.

Looks like a lemon buyback. Also seems to be at a little buy-here pay-here dealer, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some extra fees where they'll make some of their money back.
I don't know the dealer but that's within a couple hours or so of where I live. If I had a place to put it I'd almost consider buying it as a second/spare parts/project/track car. Maybe build it up some. I don't have anywhere to put it though. But yeah that's a good point about the small dealer, they probably add on some fees that aren't listed there. Doc fee $5000 or something. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
A lot of people will talk **** about salvage titled cars n trucks only because they have no idea what they're talking about...
....Sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there building totals that have no business doing it, they cut corners and use junk parts, or don't even use the correct parts at all. I had a 2016 Escape Titanium that was fixed and had cheap base head lights and the wrong front bumper cover on it. The park assist didn't work due to not have any sensors in the bumper, on top of the hacked up wiring for the head lights that didn't belong on the car....
...So yeah I can see why some would have nothing good to say about a salvage titled car, but we don't all fix them the wrong way, and it doesn't mean the car will never be the same.
Yeah, pretty sure the middle part of your post addresses the first part. Lol.

It doesn't matter if YOU can rebuild a totalled Fiero to be nicer than a showroom Ferrari. If a buyer can't be sure they're getting the Ferrari quality rebuild, they aren't going to pay for more than a Flintstone quality rebuild.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
They told me specifically that all their buy back cars get sent back to the ford engineers, they fix it and put it back for sale. My hesitation came in with only a 12k mile warranty
TON of confidence they have in their fixes, eh?? Subaru Impreza we got in 09 timeframe (it was the cheapest AWD anything available
at the time) blew trans in first 800 miles. They put in new trans and gave us 120K, 7 year warantee on entire drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Yeah I wasn't sure about that part because they do fold, but they're manual folding. They're definitely not the ones that automatically fold when you park.

I tell you what I thought was strange though. On a fully loaded 401A, the steering wheel tilt is still manual. What's up with that? You have to get a Titanium and downgrade your drivetrain to get power tilt? Makes no sense to me.

But then again, I consider the FFS to be the highest trim.

Sorry if that was confusing: I sort of digressed there, from the discussion of this particular car for sale, to ranting a little on Ford's choices of options for our cars. :LOL:
Same thing with the level 3 taillights. I assume that the drivetrain was more expensive than Ford liked so they pulled some minor features to save money.

But as far as KBB is concerned the Sport trim is the most valuable trim level, above even the Platinum.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Am I reading the CarFax correctly? First it was delivered to the dealer in late 2016 but did t sell until 2018? That it was a manufacturer buyback twice?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts