Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Noticed that 4 or 5 times so far and i am wondering if it's normal. In sport mode when driving around 60 mph if i floor it for a few sec it will downshift in 5th for a sec or so until returning in 6th. Doesn't look like it's affecting the acceleration or anything but it just sounds really weird...

it usually downshifts around 80-85 mph...

thanks for the help ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you floor it in ANY gear, and there's room for the next lower gear below the redline it will downshift. What were you expecting?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you floor it in ANY gear, and there's room for the next lower gear below the redline it will downshift. What were you expecting?
Well my 2014 SE in sport mode was not behaving like that. But at the same time... this is far from my SE ;)

It's just that after flooring it, it will leave me in 6th for 2-3 sec before downshifting ... stay 1 sec in 5th and return in 6th. It almost sounds like a bug, but if your's doing the same ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will try it out when the roads get better. Are you sure it was going from 5th to 6th? I thought in sport mode it always stayed one gear lower, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try it out when the roads get better. Are you sure it was going from 5th to 6th? I thought in sport mode it always stayed one gear lower, but I could be wrong.
Well i assumed that it was in 6th gear... but good question ;) I wish i could see what gear i am in without having to use the paddles...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't really noticed the upshifts you're describing... but I have noticed the hesitation to downshift when I stomp on it at times (especially noticeable when exiting a corner or making a hard turn). Its like the entire car bogs for a second or two before it decides that it wants to downshift.

I've chalked it up to the programming of the trans favoring ride quality over performance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
OP:
When you say return to 6th after a second, are you letting off the throtte? If you floor it, it certainly should downshift and remain in 4th or 5th until you let off or reach redline or close to redline. Also you said downshift at 80-85, did you mean upshift?
I haven't noticed what your describing either, but to be fair I've been driving with a tune for quite awhile.

If you are cruising along at a constant speed on the highway it will have shifted into 6th gear, normal or Sport mode. At any speed, if you are keeping a consistent speed Sport mode will eventually upshift to the same gear as normal mode. The gear chosen in Sport mode seems/is highly dependent on your use of the Throttle. I haven't tested it out in every situation, normal mode vs Sport mode, tune or stock, but if I was to floor it going 60, it drops to 4th gear even if I was in 6th at the time.

I agree that it would be nice to always have the dash display the gear. It already has the ability.

For anyone who has an ngauge(Unleashed tune) you can have it display what gear your in.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am probably the only person that has never used the SPORT mode lol I'm at 3K now.. Its plenty fast in regular so I have never needed S mode yet lol

But I have noticed that the way you apply the throttle affect the gearing and the way boost comes on. Just flooring hit randomly does not always yield effective results. iT like you have too see what the car his doing then get it ready to go fast then go lol..

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am probably the only person that has never used the SPORT mode lol I'm at 3K now.. Its plenty fast in regular so I have never needed S mode yet lol

But I have noticed that the way you apply the throttle affect the gearing and the way boost comes on. Just flooring hit randomly does not always yield effective results. iT like you have too see what the car his doing then get it ready to go fast then go lol..
Yes, you are the only person to never use Sport mode for 3k miles lol 😁.
GorgonFusionSport17, you shall now be known as Gorgon Lightfoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts