Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a weird instance today while driving. Had her in sport mode and was manually shifting with the paddles. In 5th gear, slowing down to about 25mph around a corner, I did not downshift, the engine speed dropped to around 1500rpms or so. The transmission stayed in 5th gear. Then while pushing the throttle down to accelerate out of the corner, the rpms surged up (way inconsistent with the 5th gear ratio) almost as if the clutch was not fully engaged in a manual transmission. Then the rpms drop to where they should be consistent with 5th gear. Kinda like in auto mode where we get that weird 3-4 shift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's probably the torque converter locking up at that speed.

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
That's normal. The torque converter unlocks to keep the revs up but stay in the gear you selected.

My Sport does it, my parent's '15 Fusion 1.5 EcoBoost does it, my family's two Escape's do it ('14 & '16 2.0 EcoBoost AWD), and my '15 Transit Connect 2.5L at work does it. All under the same conditions, and as soon as you go fast enough the RPMs suddenly drop and the torque converter locks again.

I do agree it is a weird feeling if you're not used to it.

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17
1 - 4 of 4 Posts