1,020 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reactions: Wildcat Birdie

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was thinking of removing that rear middle headrest. It kind of bugs me anyway. That thing probably weighs 4 or 5 pounds. I would remove all of them, but I have a seat protector for the dog attached to them. Nevermind... It weighs about a pound.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I finally got to the local CAT scale.

Went in with a little over 1/8 tank of gas and nothing else in the car even me.

1st weigh Front axle 2480 rear 1560 total 4040

I then went and filled up with 14.6 gallons worth and reweighed

2nd weigh Front axle 2520 rear 1620 total 4140

·
Registered
100 Posts
That sounds about right Gas is 6 lbs per gallon - the racers rule of thumb is that for every 100lbs of weight reduction you can gain about 1/10 in the 1/4 with same Wheel HP and Torque on the same car and under the same conditions - I am sure there are some formulas out there someplace -

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now that I have my winter tires on I decided to try and find out how much the factory wheels weight. Assuming tire rack is correct that the factory conti's are 26 pounds and my bathroom scale isn't to far off our wheels weigh about 32.2 pounds!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
They look pretty wholesome, so it doesn't surprise me. Throw some formula f1 rims on there and trim 100lbs of unsprung weight. Might get an mpg out of it, so you could make up the cost in, say, 300 years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
They look pretty wholesome, so it doesn't surprise me. Throw some formula f1 rims on there and trim 100lbs of unsprung weight. Might get an mpg out of it, so you could make up the cost in, say, 300 years.
I was messing around and looking at different wheel and tire combos. What do you think the performance gain would be if you removed 22lbs per corner unspung?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I was messing around and looking at different wheel and tire combos. What do you think the performance gain would be if you removed 22lbs per corner unspung?
Probably pretty significant

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Depends what you read, but the ratio seems to be 1:4 or per every 1lb of unsprung weight = 4lbs of sprung weight.
If you truly dropped 22lbs per wheel, that would equal 352lbs of sprung weight. For every 100 lbs you cut = 10hp, so 352lbs would be over 30hp.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Depends what you read, but the ratio seems to be 1:4 or per every 1lb of unsprung weight = 4lbs of sprung weight.
If you truly dropped 22lbs per wheel, that would equal 352lbs of sprung weight. For every 100 lbs you cut = 10hp, so 352lbs would be over 30hp.
Not to mention the handling benefits

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I found some 18" wheels on Tire Rack that said they were 14lbs and the tire I was going to run was 22lbs. I checked back and that wheel weight must have been a typo because I couldn't find it again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to an 18 x 8 wheel and some Conti's from Discount tire. Took off about 15 lbs. per corner. It seem like a different car. Plus the ride and look is better

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead to update. After I wrecked a stock rim, I got a chance to weight it.

According to my bathroom scale, the stock rim weights 31lbs, the Kelly edge a/s weighs 24lbs, and to verify, they weight 55lbs together.

I plan to go to an 18x8 Drag Dr 67 wheel which is supposed to weight around 23lbs depending where you look (some claim they are lighter than advertised) and Conti Extreme DWS 06 in 245x45/18 at 25lbs. Total weight saving should be around 7-9lbs per corner.

Note: for your viewing pleasure, I'm adding shots of the damage plus the offending pothole that housed the boulders. The front wheel dislodged one of those for the back wheel to eat.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts