Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I don't know how to clearly describe this but I'm looking for an explanation...

When the car's been sitting idle for some time (warming up in the garage, sitting at a red light, etc...) and I lift off the brake and hit the accelerator to go, I hear the sound of water moving in the dash behind the steering wheel. All I can think of is it's something with the A/C system or turbos where water has accumulated and is being pushed through from increased airflow when the engine RPM's climb.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about or have an understanding of what this is?

-GFunk

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...

To add to that my dad just told me that his 2009 Focus had the same sound and he thought is was hilarious that my 2017 Fusion still had the "issue". Not that it ever caused any problems, just weird...

·
Registered
230 Posts
We will know more if other start reporting the sound as it gets colder in the morning. Usually the conditions that creates the sound are cool temps and a cold engine or letting the car idle for a bit, then hitting the gas.
Sometimes it sounds like pebbles or marbles. We will see.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We will know more if other start reporting the sound as it gets colder in the morning. Usually the conditions that creates the sound are cool temps and a cold engine or letting the car idle for a bit, then hitting the gas.
Sometimes it sounds like pebbles or marbles. We will see.
WTF... I'm just laying this down that if this happens with my car I am going to throw a $hit fit with Ford. Noise cancel that!

·
Registered
246 Posts
this must be all in the family for ford, because my Five Hundred makes that same sort of noise too! It never seemed to indicate any sort of problem so it never worried me too much...

·
Registered
230 Posts
It has something to do with the angel of the heater core. When the system has a little bit of air it gets trapped in the core. The “air” only develops under certain conditions.
Try tried to fix the issue with this TSB.
"BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OTHER REPAIRS, PERFORM BOTH COOLING SYSTEM FILLING AND BLEEDING PROCEDURES IN THE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 303-03. PERFORM THE FILLING AND BLEEDING WITH RADIATOR REFILLER PROCEDURE FIRST, THEN THE FILLING AND BLEEDING WITHOUT RADIATOR REFILLER PROCEDURE TO ENSURE ALL AIR POCKETS ARE REMOVED."
That did not work. Next they installed a new degas kit (TSB - modified coolant route/pump etc). Ford covered the $700 repair. This did fix the waterfall sound but introduced an annoying clicking sound to the engine which could be heard in the cabin.
When we got the 2012 we decided not to have anything done. To be told, the sound it does not happen very often and only when starting out. Some days you hear it, most days you don’t. You never hear it for more than a few seconds when pulling out from a stop. It’s not that big of a deal.
The only thing I recommend is to keep an eye on your coolant level. As air bleeds out of the system the level will go down slightly.
2010 Fusion "sloshing" sound when first driven - General Powertrain Discussion - Ford Fusion Forum

·
Registered
230 Posts
Also, we still don't know if other Sports have this issue. Let's wait and see what other owners report before we conclude anything. GFunk, maybe see what your dealer says.
-Lee

·
Registered
140 Posts
My sport doesn't have this issue, thank god... but ironically my 2013 Focus ST did lol

I always assumed it was the heater-core. Never had any issues because of it but the first few times I heard it, it startled me a little.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bleed the cooling system and that should take care of it...hopefully

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
LOL I think he meant reservoir.
NO! DON'T TOUCH THAT!! I meant the resonator fluid. If you look down under the airbox, next to the spare muffler belt, you will see a small green girder. That one is the blinker fluid, which is not the problem. The RED one about 3 inched further inside the flux bay is the resonator fluid cap. Unscrew that, run like **** and come back 2 hours later to refill.

·
Registered
106 Posts
NO! DON'T TOUCH THAT!! I meant the resonator fluid. If you look down under the airbox, next to the spare muffler belt, you will see a small green girder. That one is the blinker fluid, which is not the problem. The RED one about 3 inched further inside the flux bay is the resonator fluid cap. Unscrew that, run like **** and come back 2 hours later to refill.
BAHAHAHAHA Right beside the FOO FOO valve? ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same noise...Kinda annoying in my opinion but luckily I have a knob in the center of my console and turn the music up and I no longer have to worry about that noise over the Sony system Haha. As long as it doesn't cause an issue I could care less.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This just made my darn day LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
Haven't heard that noise.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts