Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm looking at picking up a '17 Sport from my local dealer this week. I took it on an extended test drive, and liked the car.

One thing I feel needs to be addressed though is the soft shifting and 'hunting' for a gear on up shifts. Reading these forums has been very helpful, but I am left with a question regarding the factory warranty and performance tunes/programmers.

Is there a definitive answer on whether any tuner or programmer will or won't void the warranty? Is it a matter of going back to the stock setting when taking the car in for service, or is there a trail in the ECU that indicates that a mod has been done?

Does having a dealership do the install make any difference?

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. I'd like to go into this with as many facts as possible.

Cheers,

Colin

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you for posting this, I am wondering about the very same things.

If I tune my car, will the dealer know, and will it void my warranty?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In the end, Ford will tell you it voids the warranty. The reality is, if you want to lawyer up and fight it, there must be proof that the tune caused the damage, or could have likely caused the damage. If the tune has nothing to do with what went wrong, technically, the warranty is still intact. If you put in a tune and blow the engine and they find that you tuned it, you will more than likely not get it covered, unless you lawyer up, get proof that your tune didn't cause the issue, and get a judge to agree.

So read up on Magnusson Moss Warranty act, and that will explain it more.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It all boils down to the dealership and your rapport with the dealership. Some are mod friendly and other are asses about mods, but it also depends on the warranty work being performed. For instance, a blown engine and they might look at the ecu to see when it was last flashed, but no questions will be asked to replace a broken seat motor.
Always go back to stock (tune, BOV, CAI ect) before visiting a dealer to ensure no red flags or questions.
The dealership Ive used didnt ask any questions when I took my Sport in for the oil consumption/smoking issue and I flashed 3 tune rev the week before, but I also returned to stock. This is the same dealership that replace my rear in my 13 mustang that had an aftermarket SC bolted on. Now the other Ford dealer in my town probably wouldn't even touch the car once they saw the SC.
Your best bet is to ask the dealership what mods you can do and cant and go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It all boils down to the dealership and your rapport with the dealership. Some are mod friendly and other are asses about mods, but it also depends on the warranty work being performed. For instance, a blown engine and they might look at the ecu to see when it was last flashed, but no questions will be asked to replace a broken seat motor.
Always go back to stock (tune, BOV, CAI ect) before visiting a dealer to ensure no red flags or questions.
The dealership Ive used didnt ask any questions when I took my Sport in for the oil consumption/smoking issue and I flashed 3 tune rev the week before, but I also returned to stock. This is the same dealership that replace my rear in my 13 mustang that had an aftermarket SC bolted on. Now the other Ford dealer in my town probably wouldn't even touch the car once they saw the SC.
Your best bet is to ask the dealership what mods you can do and cant and go from there.
Agree...
When i asked the service writer at the dealership I go to, he said the best thing to do it to remove the mods prior to bringing the car in for warranty work.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This has been debated a length on many a forums as well as here.
BUT here is my 10 cents. First off I'll admit to being new to tuning my cars personally but that said I still have a good opinion lol.

OK so as said already Ford "officially" doesn't want you to tune yourself, when they haven't "sanctioned" the tune. Sanctioned Ford tunes you ask, Yes you can buy warranted tunes from Ford Performance for the Mustang, and the 2 ST's. Before anyone asks, don't hold your breath for one for the Sport. All these years and they never made one for the SHO, so I don't think they ever will for the Sport. But I mention it to support the opinion that tuning can be done safely. What was already said in this thread about voiding warranty or not, I agree with. I will add that it would be more likely a denial of a said claim as opposed to a total voiding of warranty. Unless it is something as big as an engine replacement I expect Ford themselves probably wouldn't even question any claim, so it to me goes back to the dealer. The dealer can tell if it's been tuned if they care to, but unless they are total "goodie two shoes "? Or just jerks, what's really in it for them. If they don't think Ford will question the claim, why not just fix it and get paid. Especially true if the problem is in no way related to a tune.

OK, so are tunes really safe. Well this all depends. I expect any car can be tuned to an unsafe level, especially a turbo charged car. You can find stories of blown engines and voided warranties if you look hard enough. But circumstances are important in my opinion. I'll give you a great example. Last summer someone on this forum took his stock FuSpo to the track and almost lost to a tuned 2.0 fusion. This disappointed many people here. What the he ll. Our cars should be much better people cried. Well as it turned out, said guy in 2.0 Fusion blew his engine shortly thereafter and was crying loudly on the Internet how Ford voided his warranty. So what am I trying to say? Both due to driver behavior and a too aggressive tune any car can be pushed past its mechanical limits. This guy was drag racing his car regularly (not that there is anything wrong with that but it certainly stresses a car) and no 2.0 4 cylinder fusion has any business doing low/mid 13s 1/4. Not without accepting the risk.

Our car is built tougher than the 2.0 fusion. Our important bits are from the SHO, which has a big history of aftermarket tuning with great success. Our tunes and cars will but less stress on these same parts(less mass, less hp/tq). Livernois and Unleashed are very respected tuners, and it's not because they have a history of blowing people's motors. I expect if you ask them to push the limits and give you a faster custom tune they would probably do it, you are the customer. This is also why the argument about who is the best tuner based on track times will never be won. They can keep pushing the envelope if you/they really want to. But if you stick with their standard release tunes, and treat your car with some respect, my opinion is your likelyhood of failure isn't really any worse than stock. Your likelyhood of smiles is greatly increased however.

Also, I whole-heartedly agree with what Vert said regarding the boostmax in the other thread. I don't think anyone should necessarily feel safer using a product like that over a tune. Is it harder to prove you modified your car against the terms of the warranty? Maybe, but it isn't safer for your car. Read up on what it is doing. Like Vert said, it's tricking your car into thinking it's not doing something it is. If your car is tuned and something isn't right, the car will let you know, because it sees everything as it is. They don't "tune out" the normal safeguards.

All of this being said, I completely understand if someone doesn't want to mod their car. You do have to be able to accept some level of risk to do so. I personally don't think the risk is that high if you keep some of what I said in mind.

But I will also admit I don't get waiting till warranty is expired. If your going to accept some risk at some point why not take it when there's a good possibility to have it fixed for free under warranty. And why wait to get all your enjoyment out of the car till the car is already on a downward slide and the risk of failure is most likely greater due to all the wear and tear on the car. Stock or not your still driving your car harder than had you bought said 2.0 Fusion right?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
But I will also admit I don't get waiting till warranty is expired. If your going to accept some risk at some point why not take it when there's a good possibility to have it fixed for free under warranty. And why wait to get all your enjoyment out of the car till the car is already on a downward slide and the risk of failure is most likely greater due to all the wear and tear on the car. Stock or not your still driving your car harder than had you bought said 2.0 Fusion right?
This is what I agree with. To me, I put too many miles on my car where it doesn't take too long before I am out of warranty anyways, so I just said screw it, and dove right in.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ive tuned and modded several new cars, from heads,cam and exhaust on G8 with 6k miles to installing 2 SCs on mustangs with both under 10k miles.
Todays cars are built much better than the 90s and with a good tuner/tune, the motor will last longer than the average owner will own the car. The 2.7L is a new design made out of Carbon Graphite Iron or CGI and this article Ford's new 2.7-L EcoBoost V6 designed for lighter aluminum F-150 - SAE International is a good read as it discusses the bearings and sleevless block.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also have tuned various vehicles while under warranty - even a BMW M235 - I have never had a issue with a dealer on any repair including a new clutch on a heavier modded 5.0 Mustang - But I am sure there are some dealers that are AH and could give you a problem - So I would guess there is no right or wrong answer - user choice!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer for an oil change today. I was lazy and didn't go back to stock like I did last time, it's just an oil change. So I am chatting it up with the guy and I mention something about the six cylinder issue I read about on another forum here and he tells me he never heard of it but will check it out. I give him the car and he taps into the ECU and runs diagnostics, checks codes, etc. He comes back and says everything looks perfect. He doesn't see anything off.

I'm guessing he didn't really look. Or at the very least it isn't terribly obvious if you are just looking for error codes and not specifically looking at a flash count.

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer for an oil change today. I was lazy and didn't go back to stock like I did last time, it's just an oil change. So I am chatting it up with the guy and I mention something about the six cylinder issue I read about on another forum here and he tells me he never heard of it but will check it out. I give him the car and he taps into the ECU and runs diagnostics, checks codes, etc. He comes back and says everything looks perfect. He doesn't see anything off. I'm guessing he didn't really look. Or at the very least it isn't terribly obvious if you are just looking for error codes and not specifically looking at a flash count.
That's exactly it - if they just are checking diagnostic info for DTCs real quick, nothing will look different to them. But once they look into software levels, flash counts, and ignition cycles, time, and/or miles since last flash (for engine warranty, software updates, etc.) that's when they'll see something was changed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's exactly it - if they just are checking diagnostic info for DTCs real quick, nothing will look different to them. But once they look into software levels, flash counts, and ignition cycles, time, and/or miles since last flash (for engine warranty, software updates, etc.) that's when they'll see something was changed.
also if im correct wont the ECU get bricked if they try and apply an update if you still have the tune loaded?

Reactions: Vert

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
also if im correct wont the ECU get bricked if they try and apply an update if you still have the tune loaded?
Yeah, there is a good chance that will happen. I don't know it it's 100%, but its still a high chance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also, I whole-heartedly agree with what Vert said regarding the boostmax in the other thread. I don't think anyone should necessarily feel safer using a product like that over a tune.
Opps, sorry jayson, I totally gave Vert credit for your comments on boostmax.
Please accept my sincerest apologies. 0:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
So if the dealer applies an update it is different than them just loading a new stock tune so to speak, which would just replace your tune?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts