Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Finally made the chrome on the grille disappear today! Along with the help of some Lompoc C-Note IPA and the Ducks game streaming on the laptop!

The vinyl "tape" I used was shadowline matte black. Turns out it's just Avery Dennison tape. So I probably paid a premium but they have good service, so w/e. Few wrinkles in the corners. Those angles are tough! But it definitely passes the 5ft test.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looks much better. Did you try heating the vinyl in the corners to help it conform to the curve.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Looks good, I might just try this

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks much better. Did you try heating the vinyl in the corners to help it conform to the curve.
Thanks. No :| The most heat it got was residual heat coming through from the radiator. I was too lazy to go inside and get the wife's hair dryer. Not going to show the car though and it wasn't noticeable enough to bug me once I stood back a few feet.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Looks good. You plan on doing the chrome on the rear?

For corners, just heat it and then stretch. Never stretch while applying heat.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am debating carbon fiber wrap, matte black wrap or plastidip.

Never did wrap, but I am usually pretty good at picking that kind of stuff up, but not sure if I want my first attempt to be on my car... Just not sure if I want to go carbon fiber everywhere, or standard black. If I go just black, it would probably be easier for me to dip it, cause I know what I am doing there. But carbon fiber would only be good with vinyl.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Can you post close ups to see what the inside corners look like where the wrinkling is happening?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good. You plan on doing the chrome on the rear?
Yeah, chrome on the rear I might go 3M di-noc carbon fiber since I have some extra left over.

Can you post close ups to see what the inside corners look like where the wrinkling is happening?
Yeah, Let me go open up the garage. You're asking a lot for a Sunday... j/k ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alright. Finally made the chrome on the grille disappear today! Along with the help of some Lompoc C-Note IPA and the Ducks game streaming on the laptop!

The vinyl "tape" I used was shadowline matte black. Turns out it's just Avery Dennison tape. So I probably paid a premium but they have good service, so w/e. Few wrinkles in the corners. Those angles are tough! But it definitely passes the 5ft test.

That looks sharp! Will it will come right off with no damage if you get tired of it?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the corners where you can see it was patched together close up.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I like taking the things I am wrapping apart. Lots more patience involved though. The more you wrap, the more you learn. I just redid my front grille the other weekend.

from stock, gray trim, gloss black panels

to colormatched Tuxedo black with 3M Dragon Fire Red accents to match my interior. (the reds are the same color, just bottom 2 are recessed so the sun isn't shinning directly on them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, keyword patience. Experience also seems to help. Practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My problem is I don't have the space to take my grill off and its my only car, and I am not going to drive it around without a grill so unless I did it all entirely in one day, which I never have that much time available, it makes it very difficult. So whatever I do, I need to leave everything together. I can mask it and dip it in about an hour and a half. I am guessing I can do about the same time with vinyl, but I am a lot more concerned about messing something up then I would be if I were dipping it. But I like the fact that I can do carbon fiber with the vinyl which I am leaning towards, but I don't know yet.

The window trim would be easier to do with vinyl, but the grill and rear would be easier to do with dip (for me)... so we will see what I decide to do.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, window trim is next and I see that going a lot easier...lots of short separate pieces. Will be easier for sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That looks amazing. I'm wondering what it would look like in white. I am not sure I have the technical ability to do that but I would love to. Nice work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts