Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Viberation in Steering Wheel, Feels Unsteady

8K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Skylinedan 1 
#1 ·
So I’ve been having some issues lately and I’ve been having a Viberation in the Wheel and visibly seeing my steering wheel move back and forth a bit while driving (mainly on freeway). So I decided maybe it was my wheels and tires got both new wheels and tires and still there rebalanced them multiple times still there, got an alignment still there. Anyone having the same issues/luck that I have been? This has been super annoying, and is making my experience with my Fusion Sport not so great, seems like I’ve been having issues since day 1. Should I just take it to the dealership?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Hi Denver,

You might want to plug in an OBDII scanner and check for codes, especially anything coming from the PSCM.

Any chance it's Lane Keeping Assist kicking in? That can cause a vibration. If so you'd see an edge line change color on your dash display when it happened.

But if it's really bad it's the kind of thing I'd bring in and let the dealer check it out, because it's steering related.
I think I’m going to take it into the dealer and see what they say, I actually don’t have lane keep assist I have the base model sport. But that is good information to know!!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
How are your brakes? Un-even bedding on the rotors could easily cause shaking while driving (the pads will grip the rotors more/less/more/less as the rotors turn). It's rare, but I've still seen that before.
Actually that might be why, because my breaks do make noise and I was told they are in need of replacement, I just didn’t think it was a big deal because I have plenty of pad left.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
It's a brake issue, the drag shifts side to side causing it to do that. They get bad enough it causes all kinds of weird things, one way to check how bad there warped is. As your coming to a stop, pump the peddle and if it comes up and the car stops better, the rotors are done. You can get them turned, but anymore most shops just replace them. I stop turning rotors 10 years ago I bet, it made more sense to just replace. On top of most car we get the rotors are pretty much done doing their thing.
Thank you so much man for explaining that, I’m going to get my breaks done and I’ll report back to you guys thank you guys a lot. Also when I’m replacing them is there any rotors you guys recommend?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
If your doing it your self I'd go with R1 Concepts, just be sure your buying 345mm front rotors. I see a lot of places on eBay selling front rotors they list as for a Sport and you look at the specs and there 300mm which is the standard size for all of the Fusions on the front. Thing about the Sport is, it uses the same bakes as a 18 up Lincoln MKZ 3.0 eco FWD or AWD, and also 16 up Edge. If your gonna pay someone to do it, make sure they put ceramic pads on both ends, and good ones, nothing cheap. I like drilled rotors and ceramic pads. I ended up putting drilled n slotted on mine back in May when I bought it only because they thumped and that was from the car sitting for a while till we got around to fixing it, and wish I had just gone with drilled. So with that all said I'm on the hunt for the correct R1 Concepts rotors n pads.
Sweet man thank you for the detailed comment I will look into that now, I just hope this fixes my issue 😂

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I just had a wheel bearing done on my escape but kinda sounds like your issue they replaced the front passenger at first didn't fix issue went back and took the shop forman out for a spin he felt it also in steering and pedals. They ended up swapping out rear drivers bearing which fixed issue. I would have though the issue was 100% in the front from what you could feel through the car but nope.
I’m going to take mine to the dealer and get it all figured out I have a bumper to bumper warranty on it so I’m going to just have them figure it out and I will keep this in mind, last night when I was driving home I could hear a weird noise in the front but it just sounds like the rotors are warped bad but on the right side it make a noise when I get up to a certain speed so that could be a bearing. It’s just annoying on how many things this could be lmao

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I’m going to take mine to the dealer and get it all figured out I have a bumper to bumper warranty on it so I’m going to just have them figure it out and I will keep this in mind, last night when I was driving home I could hear a weird noise in the front but it just sounds like the rotors are warped bad but on the right side it make a noise when I get up to a certain speed so that could be a bearing. It’s just annoying on how many things this could be lmao
I also forgot to mention the last time I went to the dealer when I got my front axles and sway bars replaced they told me my breaks are pulsating and are in need of replacement soon but I’ve been pushing it off because it really wasn’t all that bad 😬

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I would suggest having one of the shop mechanics drive the car with you in it so he can feel it for himself that way when they do a fix he can drive it again to see if it's actually fixed.
I will make sure that happens they are really good at the dealer that I go to so there shouldn’t be any issue, I will keep y’all updated!

Discussion starter · #21 ·
When I bought mine one of the rims was bent and causing my steering wheel to shake! I was really happy when the dealer replaced the $700 rim for free😁
The dealer I bought that car from are jerks the car ended up needing a lot of work and when I bought it the car had a cracked rim found out someone put jb weld on it, I ended up going with all new wheels and tires because the one that was cracked was bent also. But still didn’t fix the issue. I have an appointment next Friday at the dealer they will probably keep the car for a week 🙄

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Yikes. The bent rim makes me wonder if there is some deeper damage to the suspension. Luckily it sounds like its covered by the dealer, best of luck getting all of that sorted out.
I don’t think it would do that, it wasn’t noticeable at all and it balanced out perfect, it wasn’t a huge bend, only noticeable when balancing. But I could be wrong about it damaging another part, lemme tell ya this car has a mind of it’s own it’s always had some type of problem since day 1 😂

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Do you have a short commute? I had this to an extent with the factory Good years. Now I got Conti DWS and its still there. balanced twice. BUT after about 5 minutes it goes away. and on one certain point on one certain highway it still happens. I chalk it up to Flat spots, its worse after the car sits in hot weather. Another huge thread about this on here. Some guy said its normal and called tire nibble. I still say flat spots. My buddy with snows for the winter says it doesnt do it on his snow tires. but does on pilot sports really bad until warmed.
Sorry for the late response but no I have a decent commute whenever I drive my car I go atleast 20 miles

Discussion starter · #39 ·
DG any update on this ?
Yes actually, it went into the dealer and come to find out another two of my wheels were bent, so I replaced them. They also found that my differential was grinding so they replaced that and an axle, and they also found my muffler has a crack in it. The car doesn’t viberate as much as it did but the steering wheel isn’t 100% smooth on the freeway. They also said my rotors need replaced, I also haven’t fixed the exhaust yet but when I do that I will give another update!

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Yes actually, it went into the dealer and come to find out another two of my wheels were bent, so I replaced them. They also found that my differential was grinding so they replaced that and an axle, and they also found my muffler has a crack in it. The car doesn’t viberate as much as it did but the steering wheel isn’t 100% smooth on the freeway. They also said my rotors need replaced, I also haven’t fixed the exhaust yet but when I do that I will give another update!
It also doesn’t feel super unstable anymore, it also recently sounds like the rear shock mounts are going soon they are making some noise back there. I’ve taken it in the dealer for that too but they told me everything was fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.