Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I have put a down payment on a 2017 sport and await delivery. In the meantime I question the usefulness of all this tech in other than pristine road conditions.

By this I mean to ask;
How well does the lane keeping or collision avoidance work when it is raining out, at night, or when the road is misty and the road is not totally clearly visible?

And if the system(s) cannot "read" the road or what is in front of you, how do you know not to use or rely upon it?

Thanks,

Claude H.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Good day,

I have put a down payment on a 2017 sport and await delivery. In the meantime I question the usefulness of all this tech in other than pristine road conditions.

By this I mean to ask;
How well does the lane keeping or collision avoidance work when it is raining out, at night, or when the road is misty and the road is not totally clearly visible?

And if the system(s) cannot "read" the road or what is in front of you, how do you know not to use or rely upon it?

Thanks,

Claude H.
From my experience (3 years) using the LKA and collision avoidance is that it works when it can and works well. To elaborate, if the lane markers are faint or non-existent (new road, farm roads or old roads with faded markers) the LKA will be spotty at best. You'll also find that when turning or under a certain speed the LKA does not engage. When engaged and active, the LKA provides both haptic feedback via the steering wheel and/or torque steer back into the lane. The torque steer is sometimes enough to throw you off or cause you to fight it. At night, LKA works well, and I think better now that we have LED headlights. In heavy rains sometimes the camera's vision can be hampered and/or lane lines become blurred due to the glare. I also notice that sometimes one side will be engaged and the other won't.

Collision avoidance is nice as it pre-loads the breaks and provides an audible and visual alert. I'll tell you this, when that audible and red flashing bar goes off, your immediate reaction is to hit the brakes.

All in all, they work well. LKA works when lane markers are available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts