Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched and cannot find the specs on our turbos?
Brand?
Trim?
Type?
Any other specs would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have also been looking to see what turbos are on our car (and the 2.7 in general) and came up with nothing official. So will be interested to see what someone can find out. Do the turbos themselves have some markings that can be googled to find specs? I have not gotten under the car yet so could be an option...

I've heard the STs using the K03 turbos and they peak out at 14.5psi or something like that ?
Ford had an "overboost" function on the ST that allowed a temporary max boost of 19-21psi, otherwise most owners were seeing 15-17psi max. The FRPP tune only bumped it up to 22-23psi based on the datalogs I did:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I looked at the fordparts.com catalog. It seems that the 207 in the F-150 and FFS are the same (but not confirmed).
If that is the case, it seems the Ford Part Number is 6K682 (A or B) depending on the side.
That's all I found so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The link I posted has all your info you want. Borg Warner low compression

Attachments

Reactions: Dconlan4

·
Banned
249 Posts
f150 does not share same turbos as the other vehicles

Honeywell (Garrett) on the SHO/MKS/Flex/MKT/Edge/Fusion (GT15)
Borg Warner on F150

·
Registered
868 Posts
The K03 (single) on the Audi/VW 2.0T platform peaked at about 7psi on stock tuning and 18-21psi on aftermarket tunes. I ran mine tuned for 30,000 miles all seasons with no issues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a reminder. PSI IS A MEASURE OF RESISTANCE AND NOTHING MORE! A turbo can run 20 PSI on one engine and 1 PSI on another engine but still push the same volume of air. PSI just means how much the air is compressed before it goes into the engine, the more air the engine is capable of sucking in, the less PSI a turbo can make on it. So please do not compare the PSI of identical turbos across engines, its a completely flawed comparison.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just a reminder. PSI IS A MEASURE OF RESISTANCE AND NOTHING MORE! A turbo can run 20 PSI on one engine and 1 PSI on another engine but still push the same volume of air. PSI just means how much the air is compressed before it goes into the engine, the more air the engine is capable of sucking in, the less PSI a turbo can make on it. So please do not compare the PSI of identical turbos across engines, its a completely flawed comparison.
Yep, similar to a SC. Once you open the exhaust, the boost usually drops a few pounds. Doesnt mean youre making less power, just means the cars breathing better and the SC isnt working as hard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very true, but do the ecoboost engines not share modular components? I remember Ford doing this when the 4.6L and 5.4L came out, but honestly don't know if they still follow that process. This should give you similar boost ratings vs the Audi mentioned earlier at 7psi.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Very true, but do the ecoboost engines not share modular components? I remember Ford doing this when the 4.6L and 5.4L came out, but honestly don't know if they still follow that process. This should give you similar boost ratings vs the Audi mentioned earlier at 7psi.
Even with interchangeable parts, you still can't compare boost between different engines. Lbs/min is a better comparison because it is more closely related to hp, but still not a perfect comparison. Without a compressor map of the exact turbo, it's pretty much impossible to compare them. There are multiple trim and A/R figures for the same compressor line usually. The K03 on the Audi might have completely different specs that the K03 on the Focus ST. Likewise, the GT15 (which according to jnhalstead is what we have) might be a 60 trim, .45 A/R on the SHO and a 72 trim, .38 A/R on the FuSpo (Those are just imaginary example figures. I have no idea what they really are). Those two versions of the GT15, even though they are the "same turbo" would have completely different personalities.

As Jayson stated, boost has almost no value whatsoever when comparing turbos on different engines (even if they are the same model of engine). If I stick a tiny throttle body on my engine, it will drastically increase boost (*Theoretically. In reality, the waste-gate would limit the boost so it would actually stay the same) since there is now a restriction in the intake similar to a kink in a hose. Even though the boost is increased, the power would decrease because actual air volume is being restricted. The SHO and FuSpo may very well have the same exact turbo, but the SHO runs at lower boost because it's a bigger engine, so it will flow the same mass of air at a lower boost level.

A turbo is more or less measured by how well it flow a mass of air at different boost levels and compressor wheel speed. This is an example compressor map (Gerrett T04?) that shows boost, mass, efficiency, and RPM. Different engine setups will fall in different areas of this map.

Sorry I can't give more info specific to our car since I don't know that what exact turbo we have. This is just to give people an idea of what goes into comparing turbos.

I'm going to put together some knowledge base threads so people can do some learning of their own here in a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I looked at the fordparts.com catalog. It seems that the 207 in the F-150 and FFS are the same (but not confirmed).
If that is the case, it seems the Ford Part Number is 6K682 (A or B) depending on the side.
That's all I found so far.
That is also the part number for the 6.7L Powerstroke turbo, so I'm not sure we can go by that. :confused:

·
Banned
249 Posts
That is also the part number for the 6.7L Powerstroke turbo, so I'm not sure we can go by that. :confused:
fordparts uses it's own #s to find parts. normally a door on a 2014 mustang and a door on a 2014 f150 will have the same part #s on the fordparts site.

also, as I stated before, all variants of 2.7/3.5 other than the F150 (Borg Warner) use Honeywell (Garrett) GT15 Turbos.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
fordparts uses it's own #s to find parts. normally a door on a 2014 mustang and a door on a 2014 f150 will have the same part #s on the fordparts site.

also, as I stated before, all variants of 2.7/3.5 other than the F150 (Borg Warner) use Honeywell (Garrett) GT15 Turbos.
Any idea which GT15 they are? Gerrett has GT1544 and GT1548 listed in their catalog. If it's one of those I'm guessing it's the '48 since the '44 is only recommended for up to 150hp while the '48 is recommended for up to 200hp.

If that's the case, the GT1548 is a 60 trim with a .48 A/R. It's on page 25 of the catalog, and there is a compressor map.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any idea which GT15 they are? Gerrett has GT1544 and GT1548 listed in their catalog. If it's one of those I'm guessing it's the '48 since the '44 is only recommended for up to 150hp while the '48 is recommended for up to 200hp.

If that's the case, the GT1548 is a 60 trim with a .48 A/R. It's on page 25 of the catalog, and there is a compressor map.
So does this mean since we have two of the 200hp capable turbos we are only good for 400hp on the stock turbos?...or is that just to stay within the recommended levels? Even though I had a turbo on the last vehicle I'm still new to how much you can push them and compatible upgrades (turbines, housings, etc.).

·
Registered
405 Posts
So does this mean since we have two of the 200hp capable turbos we are only good for 400hp on the stock turbos?...or is that just to stay within the recommended levels? Even though I had a turbo on the last vehicle I'm still new to how much you can push them and compatible upgrades (turbines, housings, etc.).
Yeah basically, 400HP is where the turbos of the FuSpo start to run out of air. You start running into an issue where the compressor isnt able to spin the turbine fast enough anymore to compress the air further. The higher the PSI the more energy it takes to compress the air. Eventually you just need a bigger turbo/compressor.

Now that doesnt mean you cant make more HP with other mods. Exhaust, Intake, Intercooler upgrades will all help to add more power by improving the efficiency of the engine, but if you want to get to say 450HP+, you will need to buy new turbos.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The stock engine calibrations contain the turbo model data for inferred compressor speed and efficiency islands. When I plot the F150 and Fsport compressor maps they are identical except for the speed lines. With the F150, You can run a higher pressure ratio at a slower turbine speed compared to the Fsport. Using a choke line based on 58% efficiency IAW Garretts website, both the F150 and Fsport turbos essentially max out around 42-44 lb/min or something in that area. As for whether they are absolutely identical, I have no idea. But one K03 variant had a compressor map that was very similar to the maps for the Fsport and F150. The GT1549 used on the SHO, MKS, Xsport has a very different compressor map and max around 48 lb/min at a lower pressure ratio. The torque tables and VE modeling for the Fsport is also identical to the F150. This is critical for the speed density aystem. If the turbos are really that different, these tables wouldn't be the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts