Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed what I think is a turbo timer. When I forget to idle for a few seconds to turn off the engine I noticed what sounds like the turbos still spinning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting... I believe our turbos are water cooled, so at least we don't need a turbo timer like back in the day. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So are they set up to where the coolant cools the oil in order to keep it from boiling in the turbo so to speak.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I read somewhere that new Ecoboost engines run coolant through the turbos for a bit after the car is turned off. However, I don't know if that applies to ours or if that is something to come.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Also, the car automatically shuts off after a set time, so you could just leave the car running when you get out. I've done that once when I forgot to be gentle for the last leg of my drive home from work and didn't want to take the chance of coking the turbos in case the coolant doesn't keep flowing.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also, the car automatically shuts off after a set time, so you could just leave the car running when you get out. I've done that once when I forgot to be gentle for the last leg of my drive home from work and didn't want to take the chance of coking the turbos in case the coolant doesn't keep flowing.
When the engine is off coolant still moves from the reservoir through the turbo by heat transfer, most all turbo car's now work like this to prevent burning the oil

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
When the engine is off coolant still moves from the reservoir through the turbo by heat transfer, most all turbo car's now work like this to prevent burning the oil
yep, i found that shortly after posting. Thermosiphoning is what the smart people call it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts