1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
50 Posts
LMS posted a response to a comment on one of their youtube videos stating they are attempting to acquire one now so that they can begin the tuning process.
I don't live very far (relatively speaking) from them and have been considering going down there to talk to them once I get mine. I'm not so sure I want my car to be a guinea pig, though :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't live very far (relatively speaking) from them and have been considering going down there to talk to them once I get mine. I'm not so sure I want my car to be a guinea pig, though :(
Maybe the benefit is they do it for free?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hear ya. I would be very apprehensive to use my vehicle for beta testing.

But they already have a solid foundation from the Edge Sport (engine/trans) / 2.7 F150's (engine). So the risk might be minimal and you could end up with a free tune.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What is Ford's policy on aftermarket tunes? Will they threaten loss of powertrain warranty if they find out?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is Ford's policy on aftermarket tunes? Will they threaten loss of powertrain warranty if they find out?
If there's a powertrain problem they are trained to look for a tune immediately. I've been told (but have no proof) that even if you reflash to stock they can tell it had been modified.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hear ya. I would be very apprehensive to use my vehicle for beta testing.

But they already have a solid foundation from the Edge Sport (engine/trans) / 2.7 F150's (engine). So the risk might be minimal and you could end up with a free tune.
Good point about the Edge. I'll have to think about it some. They may end up getting one before I get mine anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What is Ford's policy on aftermarket tunes?
Ford is pretty much the same as every other auto manufacturer.

Will they threaten loss of powertrain warranty if they find out?
That is not exactly how it works. The dealer may tell you all kinds of horrible things if they find out your vehicle is modified. Some are true and some are not.

If something in the powertrain breaks they will run diagnostics. If anything points to an aftermarket ECM calibration expect them to stop, inform you and then let you know that if you wish for them to continue with the repair you are on the hook.

You have the option of taking Ford to court to prove they are wrong and it was not your modification that caused the issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ford is pretty much the same as every other auto manufacturer.

That is not exactly how it works. The dealer may tell you all kinds of horrible things if they find out your vehicle is modified. Some are true and some are not.

If something in the powertrain breaks they will run diagnostics. If anything points to an aftermarket ECM calibration expect them to stop, inform you and then let you know that if you wish for them to continue with the repair you are on the hook.

You have the option of taking Ford to court to prove they are wrong and it was not your modification that caused the issue.
I did a little more digging to look for some Ford specific guidance. It appears I did not have the whole story. They do indeed cancel your warranty (see decision tree in the link below):

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb11-07-07.pdf

Yikes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I did a little more digging to look for some Ford specific guidance. It appears I did not have the whole story. They do indeed cancel your warranty (see decision tree in the link below):

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb11-07-07.pdf

Yikes.
Here's to hoping Ford Performance gets behind the Sport like they have the Mustang and ST's. For those who are unaware Ford Performance sells for the ST's what they call ProCal calibration tool delivery device, that will come tuned for your specific setup. All within factory warranty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's pretty cool. But definitely a cancellation of warranty is inevitable in that particular situation. Still.. you can take them to court depending on the circumstances if you truly feel that the modifications you have done are not in correlation with the damages that happened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are multiple instances of FoST guys with tunes getting new motors and transmissions warrantied. However, there are many who also did not have the same luck. If you purchase and aftermarket, non-Ford tune and a rod shoots through the block, expect to pay for it. That's the easiest way to go about modifying a car with a new vehicle warranty. Pay to play, and expect the worst.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am currently seeking a tune from LMS. Have been in contact with them and trying to work out the details on getting FuSpo in there. More to come as everything unfolds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely needs some new exhaust. Once I'm outta warranty I'll give it a go (intake, exhaust, intercooler upgrade, 7/8"-1.5" lowering springs, strut & sway bars, summer tires, front lip, decklid spoiler & tune.)

Until then I'll just observe you guys' success and ask questions. Lol. Good luck everybody.

*crosses fingers for quality aero parts from APR, 3Dcarbon, etc.*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts