Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site and am in the land of 91* "Premium" in So Cal, so any Tuning would be 91* only for me. I come over from the Mustang and now Shelby side, and early on in the production of the cars baseline parameters we're tested and released by Tuners and Magazine tests. I see here 2 Tuners are well known Livernois, and Unleashed, btw, where is Unleashed located?? Lots of questions:

Has anyone put their Stock car on a 4 Wheel Dynojet, Set at SAE, Smoothing 5, testing A/F, Boost, and possibly data-logging, and released the sheet and results? Then installed the Steeda CAI and made several runs??? Does it lean out, without a Tune?? What A/F does it normally run stock, and wide open. Do these cars have wide bands and cat protection?? Where are the new parameters with the Tune??

Next loaded each of the 2 Tuners Tunes.. Have the Tuners made this info available?? I can't find it... Still have stock drive ability with the New Tunes??

For example: For the 13-14 Shelby Revan Racing and VMP Tuning have lots of this info on their sites.

How is the intercooler, does the car get hot easily and pull timing?? Do the fans come on earlier in the New Tune??

Transmission parameters are being changed in the Tune??

Any and all info appreciated. Thank-you

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good luck with that. I just wanted a graph. Lol

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
I put the car on the Dyno for stock HP numbers bone stock here. - http://www.fusionsportforums.com/fo...858-oreo-fusion-sport-dyno-dynamics-dyno.html

I have done some testing of the factory air box and Steeda CAI here - http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/377-engine-technical-discussion/9826-factory-airbox.html

My dyno guy is out of country but when he get back I will put the cr back on the dyno to see what difference the CAI and Throttle body spacer make. I will see about data logging it factory settings.

Torrie/Unleashed is located St Augustine, FL

Not sure what you are calling stock drive ability. I loaded the 93 Octane tune from Torrie car is my daily driver and it run great in traffic, around town and on the highway. No issues.

So far in my testing and data logging in the factory airbox thread I already linked (there are several large graphs) the intercooler does well keeping temps 15-20 degrees above ambient except when you suffer heat soak of CAI/Airbox in heavy stop and go traffic. With that said it recovers very quickly.

Transmission perimeters are being adjusted and make a HUGE improvement in the shift delays even in the basic tunes from Unleashed.

Livernois uses proprietary hardware for his tunes where Unleashed has multiple options all industry standard like nTune, SCT XC4, etc... I personally just bought the SCT X4 and 3 tunes from Unleashed. Easy to use and Torrie never sleeps or at least that is how it seems as he is Johnny On The Spot with replies to email and requests for custom tuning.

As far as detailed tune info I have none as I haven't gotten to that part of my build process. Hope this has helped.

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am low tech and computer challenged.

After figuring out how to load my 93 Unleashed Tune, it always gets filled with 93 Octane gas, and I floor it on a regular basis.

As a result, I smile a LOT. That's pretty much all the testing I've done.

During regular driving, it has good manners with no problems at all!

Pinky

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dyno numbers etc are useful as are the other parameters like A/F Boost etc - but IMO the only thing that really makes a difference is the 1/4 mile times and your enjoyment of driving the car- Our car improved almost a full second from stock in the 1/4 (12.54 best-- avg 12.75) and it is a lot more fun on a daily drive with a unleashed tune
- These ecoboost cars are very sensitive to external factors i.e. heat humidity and air flow - since they are really a very small engine only 2.7 it is pretty amazing what they can do - It will come down to traction and suspension upgrades if you try to go much faster -
My 2000 Camaro is a 5.7 engine and with a lot of mods and lighter curb weight it only beats the fusion by about 3/4 of a sec (mid 11 --1/4 --trap at 120mph) the MPH is a lot more than the Fusion but The camaro has 75 more HP at the wheels) Enjoy your ride !!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the feed-back, just found out I can't PM until I have 15 posts. I agree Dyno-testing is a Tuning Tool. This car will be a daily/work car for me, I have another car for week-end play. I just like to know the stock parameters and new calibration changes. Since I only have access to 91* "Premium", that's what I will run and Tune for only. Looking forward to learning more about these cars. Great group here. Thank-you..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can say for sure that the biggest problem with the FS stock is the shifting - for some reason Ford decided to produce a car they advertised as a lower cost option to the BMW and Audi sedans - then they set it up to fail because of crappy shifting points - even with a tune it was not really great but when Torrie fixed the shifting it is now right in the same league with the other guys and in a lot of cases faster -

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im out in Arizona Phoenix Metro area and frequent San Diego often so I only have 91 as well. I am pleasantly surprised with the power Unleashed has been able to pull using a 91 Oct map. You could always run WMI to run a higher rated tune. you can safely run a 100 tune with 91 oct fuel and a 50/50 W/M mixture (future plans). As of now I am just waiting to get it all set up before I Dyno everything as I'd like to compare stock to tuned to tuned with WMI in the same day so all variables are as close as can be.

also currently the biggest hinderance with this vehicle is just how new it is. Let's face it, It's brand new and sort of a Niche vehicle not everyone is running after a 300+HP family sedan. The majority of those people are going after more premium sedans. I blame it on ford since they have done little to no marketing of the SPORT for the mass populace. With all of these factors expect aftermarket support to be slow and limited.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On the issue of transmission shift points - are there published shift points/ any discernable way to know if shifting will be better?

I cannot stand the shifting on stock, and I'm looking to tune for this reason alone. Suggestions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
On the issue of transmission shift points - are there published shift points/ any discernable way to know if shifting will be better?

I cannot stand the shifting on stock, and I'm looking to tune for this reason alone. Suggestions?
Like FastGal said, talk to Torrie at Unleashed. Using his tune, the shifting is night and day different. Very quick, but not violent.

I don't believe the points have been modified at all, just the speed at which it changes gears.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes as several have said transmission behavior is greatly improved tuned. I can personally speak for this being the case with Unleashed. I've even said that this change alone was worth getting the tune. My biggest pet peeve was the transmissions inconsistentcy. Sometimes it mad me happy, other times angry, disappointed. A lot of this may have to do with the transmissions "ability" to adapt to your driving style, as Ford puts it.

I don't believe the points have been modified at all, just the speed at which it changes gears.
I don't know the ins and outs of how the transmission logic works, but I'm confident it is more complicated than speed. I'm admittedly under educated when it comes to these things so bear with me on the following.

I feel more things come into play, such as rpms, as well as torque converter involvement. How this is all managed I don't know, but I'll give you an example. When I got my very first tune on the Sport(this was first revision just months into the cars existence) I made an interesting(to me) observation. Although it was shifting at higher rpms doing a 0-60 run, it actually was shifting to 3Rd gear at a slower speed(mph). It's hard for me to explain, but That being said, when 3Rd gear engaged it was much more "effective", not a dog like when it was stock. I assume it was in a better rpm range when engaged, but how that was, while being at an actual slower speed(mph) I'm not sure, hence my torque converter theory. That 3rd gear has been viewed by many here as a weak spot in the Sports acceleration abilities. Tuned, I no longer find this to be the case.

The tunes have only gotten better since then, and Unleasheds' latest tune shifts much, much more quickly / aggressive than stock. Throttle response is also significantly more sensitive (do not bother with something like throttle max, etc.) All of this can be fine tuned to your liking with Unleashed. I've personally never made any specific requests(other than for the latest version) nor have I data logged. Just plug-n-play for me.

For those out there who are concerned about tuning being harder on the car, if you work with someone like Torrie at Unleashed, I think you can get a more conservative(realitively) tune that will satisfy you.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The line pressure is increased which causes the clutches to engage faster and not slip as much when the tranny shifts. The torque management is also reduced which is related to the line pressure.

·
Registered
481 Posts
shifts points def get changed with the livernois tune. The factory tune makes the transmission shift way to early.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts