Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I would like to congratulate everyone on their new vehicle. They are all beautiful. I have been closely following all the conversations and I'm currently torn between the Honda Accord EXL V6 and the Fusion Sport. I can get the Honda for about 27,000 fully loaded without the driver assist package, which I don't want anyway. Any feedback or thoughts would really be appreciated. I'm 55 years old and the fastest car I ever owned was a 2000 Maxima sport edition. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can't help much with assessing the Accord since I haven't driven a recent one, but as I've posted elsewhere in this forum, I also have a 2016 Honda Pilot and find the Honda infotainment system to be awful compared to Sync 3. The Fusion's engine auto start/ stop and adaptive cruise control also seem much more sorted then the Honda systems, although it sounds like those are a non factor to you. I'd put the Pilot's interior a step above the Fusion Sport's, but not a huge step.

I live in Maine so all wheel drive is a big deal for me (standard on the Sport); not sure if that's a factor for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I came out of a '14 Accord Sport. I did consider a new Accord Touring. I do not like the changes to the newer Accord's. A lot more plastic shiny "chrome". It didn't ride as "sporty" as the '14 Sport. It probably destroys the Fusion on mpg.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I test drove the 16 Accord Touring model, and truth be told I thought it was a very nice car. For me, I was more interested in the extra technology and performance of the Fusion, but the Accord was a VERY nice car, with a very nice ride, and enough power to get through anything you would need to get through. I would say test drive both and make your decision. If you don't care about the technology or power, the Accord is a wonderful vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having driven both here's how I see it:

Performance: Basically equal in acceleration, but the Ford handles much better even though it's heavier. For some reason honda decided handling wasn't a thing for their V6 models (part of the reason I own an altima v6 now after having a 4 cyl accord). Seriously, you can try to make a turn at speed, but it seems like the car just hates every part of it. The fusion isn't a sports car, but I'd call its handling confident, and you're happy you're on a twisty road instead of frustrated. I'd say my Altima handles noticeably better than the Accord, and the Fusion Sport is noticeably better than my Altima. Honda's transmission shifts better on its own I think, but gives you no control over choosing your own gears if I recall correctly.

Ride: Pretty equal to me. If anything the Fusion seems like a more controlled ride, without much harshness.

Space: The accord has more of a boxy shape, and has more headroom and legroom for adults in the back. I'm 6'1" and felt slightly cramped in the fusion rear behind my seating position, but not unbearable by any means. The smaller windows in the fusion make it feel a bit more cramped sometimes, but probably something you'd get used to easily. Trunk space is about equal (good for both cars).

Interior: Both are fine for the price range, but won't be confused with a Mercedes. As far as materials and design, I'd give a slight nod to the Accord, but not enough to really make a huge difference personally. I actually really like the fusion sport suede seats because they stay pretty cool on hot days. One big factor is the fusion is MUCH quieter inside than the Honda. I was amazed at how much road noise was in the new accord. I'd say my Altima is a level quieter than the Accord, and the Fusion is a whole level quieter than the Nissan.

Cost to own: Advantage - Honda. most V6 owners report similar mileage to the 4 cylinders, and average around 27-28 mpg vs the Fusion sport's 20. Also, their v6 is not direct injection, has no turbos, and it's only driving 2 wheels, making for a much simpler overall design from a company that is known for reliability. I'm not saying the Fusion will be unreliable, but odds are the Honda will last longer and be cheaper to fix.

Other notes:
AWD is nice even in just rain to know you can make the merge, etc.
While the Fusion sport doesn't get great gas mileage, gas is cheap, and you can run regular if you need to.
US carmakers usually offer better incentives than Japanese ones.

Personally if I were buying a new family sedan for around $30k, the fusion would be my choice. It's slightly heavier and slower than I was hoping, but the difference in handling, AWD traction, and sense that it's slightly special put it in the front of its class in my opinion. Obviously not everyone has the same priorities, and a $4k difference in price can be a big deal too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't offer an opinion to the OP, but seeing Thor compare the two as equal in performance hurts a little. I'm currently in a last gen 335i and was hoping the sport could be its equal. Haven't had a chance to drive the sport because they have all presold around here. Nothing on the lots to check out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't offer an opinion to the OP, but seeing Thor compare the two as equal in performance hurts a little. I'm currently in a last gen 335i and was hoping the sport could be its equal. Haven't had a chance to drive the sport because they have all presold around here. Nothing on the lots to check out.
Yea - Hurts a lot... Honda will have better mpg, resale, overall quality. So, if the sport cant even offer better performance as the incentive to buy it over competitors, why bother? It wont touch your 335i, not even close. Sad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
With all due respect to Thor and others who have shared their useful assessments, I'm still waiting on fully instrumented tests before I buy the notion that the FS isn't any quicker than the Accord V6. The best published 0-60 times for the Accord V6 sedan seem to range from 5.8 - 6.1 seconds. These are professional tests where they wring the very best times out the car, doing multiple runs and adjusting their technique to get the best time.

The one test I've seen on video of the FS was a single run in a brand new car, which came in at 5.6 sec. The driver even states that he wasn't pushing the car too hard since it was new, and that he feels the car is capable of shaving at least a half second off his time. Some people on this site have claimed sub 5 second 0-60 runs as well. This is far from scientific, but it's enough to give me a little bit of doubt that the FS can't do better than the high 5's. It certainly doesn't have the BMW 340i destroying performance some were hoping for, but I think we might be jumping the gun a bit on the acceleration numbers.

Even if it turns out to be about on par with the Accord acceleration wise, the Sport still has a lot going for it and is still worth a test drive for people shopping in this category.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea - Hurts a lot... Honda will have better mpg, resale, overall quality. So, if the sport cant even offer better performance as the incentive to buy it over competitors, why bother? It wont touch your 335i, not even close. Sad.

There's more to performance than acceleration, and in handling and braking the Fusion sport IS much better than the honda. Keep in mind the current v6 family sedans are actually pretty quick (14.1 to 14.4 in the 1/4). I had a 2004 volvo s60R with 300hp, awd, and a 6 speed, and it tested at 14 flat in the 1/4 with a 5000 rpm clutch drop.

I too am looking forward to instrumented tests, but speed in the 1/4 mile is probably the best indicator for power to weight, and I haven't really seen anyone go much above 100 mph. I was pretty disappointed when I saw people's results, and having now driven one, the overall rolling acceleration (what I'm more interested in than a driveline hurting launch) feels very similar to my altima. Maybe cooler weather will help, and with a hard launch and AWD it's possible the times will drop, but power to weight is actually pretty close thanks to the extra weight :|

As far as the 335i....its not gonna be close, sorry. That n54 really made about 340 hp in a car that was 400 lbs lighter. It will ride drastically better and have more space, but won't handle as well as a previous gen 3 series. One big thing you won't have though is issues with the hp fuel pump, turbos, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, body control module, etc etc etc.

I think a lot of us were really hoping Ford would pull off S4 type performance for $17k less (I know I was). I think it's still the best choice for a loaded family sedan, but not quite the performance jump we were expecting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's more to performance than acceleration, and in handling and braking the Fusion sport IS much better than the honda. Keep in mind the current v6 family sedans are actually pretty quick (14.1 to 14.4 in the 1/4). I had a 2004 volvo s60R with 300hp, awd, and a 6 speed, and it tested at 14 flat in the 1/4 with a 5000 rpm clutch drop.

I too am looking forward to instrumented tests, but speed in the 1/4 mile is probably the best indicator for power to weight, and I haven't really seen anyone go much above 100 mph. I was pretty disappointed when I saw people's results, and having now driven one, the overall rolling acceleration (what I'm more interested in than a driveline hurting launch) feels very similar to my altima. Maybe cooler weather will help, and with a hard launch and AWD it's possible the times will drop, but power to weight is actually pretty close thanks to the extra weight :|

As far as the 335i....its not gonna be close, sorry. That n54 really made about 340 hp in a car that was 400 lbs lighter. It will ride drastically better and have more space, but won't handle as well as a previous gen 3 series. One big thing you won't have though is issues with the hp fuel pump, turbos, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, body control module, etc etc etc.

I think a lot of us were really hoping Ford would pull off S4 type performance for $17k less (I know I was). I think it's still the best choice for a loaded family sedan, but not quite the performance jump we were expecting.
I think your are dead on Thor. Bottom line, you get what you pay for, just like everything else in life! :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking... Mileage will still be better than my family Suburban.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts