Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was doing all the data collecting for the Airbox testing I noticed that my transmission temps seem to run between 200 and 210 degrees constant. That seems pretty darn high to me but maybe that is how the 6F55 operates? Anybody else seeing these temps? Anybody know what the recommended temp range is on the trans?

Reactions: mantra1

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like there is a built in code for trans temp overheat...
6F55 Code (DTC) P1783 Transmission Over-Temperature Condition

·
Registered
262 Posts
Very curious as well Oreo. I have my car at Veterans Ford right now trying to determine why my transmission is so inconsistent in gears 1-3. From a dead stop and then full acceleration this tranny sux. I just hit 20k miles and things are getting worse. I'm sure the dealer will just reset the pcm with FORSCAN but there is no way this transmission last 100k miles.
For reference I'm running a Livernois tune 93 octane with a drop in K&N

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I checked on my temps when I first got my nGauge and they seemed to run consistent with the 6R80 that was in my mustang so I deemed them ok.
Im not sure how stout this tranny is, but with a tune and firmer shifts should increase the life since it doesnt slip as much between the sloppy stock shifts.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some digging last night it appears that the Over-Tempeture code logs at 270 degrees. Holy crap that is way hotter then what I expected.

·
Registered
451 Posts
with a tune and firmer shifts should increase the life since it doesnt slip as much between the sloppy stock shifts.
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will give that explanation to the wife in regards to getting a tune...

Thank you :D :laugh:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Id assume this transs uses mainly a coolant to oil "cooler" which when trans cold and engine hot is really a "heater" so running right around coolant temp makes sense and i wouldnt worry at all

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very curious as well Oreo. I have my car at Veterans Ford right now trying to determine why my transmission is so inconsistent in gears 1-3. From a dead stop and then full acceleration this tranny sux. I just hit 20k miles and things are getting worse. I'm sure the dealer will just reset the pcm with FORSCAN but there is no way this transmission last 100k miles.
For reference I'm running a Livernois tune 93 octane with a drop in K&N

LOL I'm pretty sure I'm reading your comment correctly or else I'm just dumb. But so you're saying that you're tuned, having a trans issue and letting a dealership look into it? No concerns of them finding it?

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
Id assume this transs uses mainly a coolant to oil "cooler" which when trans cold and engine hot is really a "heater" so running right around coolant temp makes sense and i wouldnt worry at all
The transmission cooler is located separately below our driver's-side fog light.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
320 Posts
This transmission is fairly stout provided you don't constantly launch the vehicle like a dragster. It seems to survive well behind the 3.5 ecoboost in the Flex which weighs almost 1,000 lbs more and is rated to tow 4500 lbs. I had the 6F50 in my 09 Flex and towed 3,000lb loads at 75mph in the mountains a fair number of times over its 100,000 mile life without issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do we have the cheap tube and fin cooler or did Ford step up and use a stacked plate version?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We have 2 transmission oil coolers:

1 water-to-oil exchanger at the top of the transmission housing
1 air-to-oil heat exchanger under the driver's foglight (looks like stacked plate design)

The water-to-oil exchanger is listed as a transmission oil warmer, which makes sense as the engine coolant will help warm up cold ATF or at least maintain the temperature. The air exchanger will help reject heat. The problem is, the trans fluid temp will never be drastically cooler than the engine coolant temperature. Which is why I think a 170F t-stat will help reduce the PTU and ATF fluid temps as both rely on coolant for maintaing their respective temps.

On the older 98-02 Crown Vics, Ford used a thermostatic bypass valve for an external ATF cooler which helps warm up the ATF faster, then opens up at a certain temp to help cooler it off.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
What transmission temp gauge are you using on Torque pro , I cant seem to get the trans temp working ? all my other gauges are working good .

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
That is weird I have tried all 3 transmission temp gauges ...hmmm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts