Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my fusion sport a month ago with 20k miles on it. Everytime im crusing around 40-43mph im hearing a humming noise coming directly from under me seems like its on the driver side where the steering wheel is. IDK if its the engine or tranny but something humming when i cruise at that speed on 5th gear. as soon as i switch to 6th gear it goes away completely.

its not Tire noise because when i tap the throttle going at 40 ish mph the humming becomes higher pitched as the rpm raise.almost sounds like its whining when i tap the throttle every second. Its also starting to hum at around 30mph now at 4th gear but a bit lower in volume. not as loud as the 40mph 5th gear hum is. the only way i can describe the noise is that it sounds just like tire noise but a bit higher pitched.

is this normal? does anyone else get this noise? 40mph hum is starting to get so loud i can hear it while the music is playing. I went to ford dealership but they said they'res nothing they can do if they dont have a tsb or "common problem" to go by...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bought my fusion sport a month ago with 20k miles on it. Everytime im crusing around 40-43mph im hearing a humming noise coming directly from under me seems like its on the driver side where the steering wheel is. IDK if its the engine or tranny but something humming when i cruise at that speed on 5th gear. as soon as i switch to 6th gear it goes away completely.

its not Tire noise because when i tap the throttle going at 40 ish mph the humming becomes higher pitched as the rpm raise.almost sounds like its whining when i tap the throttle every second. Its also starting to hum at around 30mph now at 4th gear but a bit lower in volume. not as loud as the 40mph 5th gear hum is. the only way i can describe the noise is that it sounds just like tire noise but a bit higher pitched.

is this normal? does anyone else get this noise? 40mph hum is starting to get so loud i can hear it while the music is playing. I went to ford dealership but they said they'res nothing they can do if they dont have a tsb or "common problem" to go by...
Hi AV. Being told there is nothing they can do "..if they don't have a tsb or common problem to go by" is a completely unacceptable response. You need to speak directly to the Service Manager and see if he will do anything. If not, then go to another Ford Dealer for service. And if you get no satisfaction there, then call Ford Customer Service directly. And wherever you go, you need to have them send a tech for a ride with you so you can demonstrate the issue.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi AV. Being told there is nothing they can do "..if they don't have a tsb or common problem to go by." is a completely unacceptable response.You need to speak directly to the Service Manager and see if he will do anything. If not, then go to another Ford Dealer for service. And if you get no satisfaction there, then call Ford Customer Service directly. And wherever you go, you need to have them send a tech for a ride with you so you can demonstrate the issue.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Awesome response. I will do just that. The service manager was the one who told me that. so i will try another ford dealer and if no one wants to fix it ill call corporate. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is it a super quiet droning sound? Or more than something subtle? There's been a similar issue discussed here: Humming While Cruising

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have it's as well, I think it's just a harmonics issue at low throttle around 40-45mph. If you use the paddles to get it to upshift or down shift it goes away.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have it's as well, I think it's just a harmonics issue at low throttle around 40-45mph. If you use the paddles to get it to upshift or down shift it goes away.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I made a post in the fusion sport page on FB and someone said it's a gear assembly issue and that his sports transmission was torn down for a rebuild.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've seen a lot of one-off fixes that shops found that sound kinda off. Makes me think the tech just ran into something he wasn't finding a reasonable fix for and ends up replacing an entire assembly/i.e. cuts off entire leg since they can't find the issue with the foot.

I have a similar story, about 5 years ago guy I knew had a rattle that he'd hear only between 55-65. Shop could not figure it out. They replaced sway bars end links tried different tires etc.
Long story short we're driving and I see some change in the lower change tray, he had 2 quarters wedged where they would vibrate and make a rattle noise only between 55-65mph. Lol.
Not saying that's the case but narrow down the easy stuff first :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heard something similar. Not sure if I am hearing the same noise you. At same speed range I hear this droning mechanical noise. I wonder if it’s just a bug with the artificial induction noise that’s synthesized through the audio system. That when you’re in this certain speed and gear range it’s just starting to come through the sound system. However, Ford and transmissions doesn’t leave one with much confidence either. Hopefully it’s the less involved issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard something similar. Not sure if I am hearing the same noise you. At same speed range I hear this droning mechanical noise. I wonder if it’s just a bug with the artificial induction noise that’s synthesized through the audio system. That when you’re in this certain speed and gear range it’s just starting to come through the sound system. However, Ford and transmissions doesn’t leave one with much confidence either. Hopefully it’s the less involved issue.
Hmm... never thought if it that way. I made an appointment with a different dealer the noise is slightly getting louder very slightly so I'm going to see what they say. It's definitely something going on with the tranny because Everytime it shifts you can hear the high pitch hum then goes away once in another gear. So we'll see.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
FWIW, my Sport still had the super quiet hum at some speeds/RPMs even when my Active Noise Control wasn't working. But again, it was as described in the other thread. To me, it sounds like OP is having a different issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts