Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So something I noticed about last week, I went to get into my car to go to work and had to really put pressure on the gear selector to get it out of park. Didn't think anything of it at first, just figured maybe the wife spilled something and it got on the inside. So I used my interior cleaner and cleaned around everything to think maybe that would fix it. Sometime's it will be okay, other times I feel like the vehicle is shut off and it won't come out of park until I realize she is in fact running. Also noticed that my button for my sport mode now feels like it is very spongy? Has anyone else had an issue like this? Something just doesn't seem right to me...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Definitely have not had either of the issues that you are describing here. Not sure what would cause it, but they are both working perfectly for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, and of course I went to show one of my tech's whats going on and it acted completely fine. I'm almost wondering if it has something to do with me parking it in the driveway which is on a hill instead of the garage but i'm really not sure. Not something I figured I would have an issue with being less than a year old and less than 10k on it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you using the parking brake? Might try engaging before you release the foot brake.

Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always use the parking brake and make sure that I always put the parking brake on before putting it in park and taking my foot off the brake. I give my wife **** when she doesn't haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Parking on a hill is probably the cause. I haven't had this issue yet with my Fusion because I haven't parked on any hills yet, but with my old cars it was always much harder to shift when on a hill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had this happen on the rotary knob if I do something out of normal sequence. For example, if I put it in neutral, turn on the ebrake, then get out of the car. The car will shift itself to park automatically and when I get back in I have to rotate it to drive, which is several more steps away than it was when it was in neutral. Because of this the knob feels like it's being forced past some notches it wouldn't normally be in.

I'm probably not explaining that very well, but it's a different feeling than normal and only happens when the car chose to change gears without me moving the knob do to some other input. Mind you - if I go to test this I can't get it to do it 100% of the time, so I'm sure I'm missing some key detail.

On the other hand, I've never had my S button feel spongy - THAT sounds like something was spilled on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had this happen on the rotary knob if I do something out of normal sequence. For example, if I put it in neutral, turn on the ebrake, then get out of the car. The car will shift itself to park automatically and when I get back in I have to rotate it to drive, which is several more steps away than it was when it was in neutral. Because of this the knob feels like it's being forced past some notches it wouldn't normally be in.

I'm probably not explaining that very well, but it's a different feeling than normal and only happens when the car chose to change gears without me moving the knob do to some other input. Mind you - if I go to test this I can't get it to do it 100% of the time, so I'm sure I'm missing some key detail.

On the other hand, I've never had my S button feel spongy - THAT sounds like something was spilled on it.
And I would agree that it sounds like something was spilled on it but the only time the S button feels spongy is if it is hard to get out of park. If I get in it and it shifts out of park normal, the S button feels normal. Trust me, my wife likes to take wine on her road trips, so of course that was the first thing I thought when I felt it the first time but the more and more I think about it, it would be a constant issue if something was spilled on it

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only time I've encountered any resistance getting it out of Park is if my foot is not on the brake. Since you're using the parking brake, is it possible that you're trying to shift before the parking brake is off and your foot, therefore, is not on the actual brake?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only time I've encountered any resistance getting it out of Park is if my foot is not on the brake. Since you're using the parking brake, is it possible that you're trying to shift before the parking brake is off and your foot, therefore, is not on the actual brake?
I'll have to check that. I know I always have my foot on the brake when shifting because it is mostly shifting into reverse. and it has gradually gotten worse over the past couple of weeks. I am planning on setting up an appointment with my dealer next week to get it in and checked out but I just have a feeling it'll be a day where it isn't acting up and nothing will get done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts