Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
A while back I found some good discussions around trailer hitches and found one I planned to buy for bike hauling. Looking for the same conversations, I can't tell what one I picked before. I would like it hidden (as much as possible), and be strong enough for 5+ bikes.
Using Google, I really only found this one but don't think it was the one I found this Forum (but could be mistaken). It's weight just is less then I expected, and thought the one recommended on here was over 500lbs.

What trailer bike rack do you guys recommend? As mentioned I would need it for 5 bikes and will not be surprised if you guys suggest getting a trailer and roof rack to carry all 5 bikes around. Thanks for the help!

To confirm, is the towing capacity of the FFS 1000lbs or something similar? Why with a better trans and engine would be it be less then the 2.0 Ecoboost (2k lbs??). Maybe AWD reduces towing?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey All,
A while back I found some good discussions around trailer hitches and found one I planned to buy for bike hauling. Looking for the same conversations, I can't tell what one I picked before. I would like it hidden (as much as possible), and be strong enough for 5+ bikes.
Using Google, I really only found this one but don't think it was the one I found this Forum (but could be mistaken). It's weight just is less then I expected, and thought the one recommended on here was over 500lbs.

What trailer bike rack do you guys recommend? As mentioned I would need it for 5 bikes and will not be surprised if you guys suggest getting a trailer and roof rack to carry all 5 bikes around. Thanks for the help!

To confirm, is the towing capacity of the FFS 1000lbs or something similar? Why with a better trans and engine would be it be less then the 2.0 Ecoboost (2k lbs??). Maybe AWD reduces towing?
Hi BD. Yes, the maximum trailer towing weight for the Fusion Sport 2.7L EcoBoost engine is 1,000 pounds. This information is also listed in the Owners Manual. Check the Index under "Towing" for the correct pages in your copy.

If you do not have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

I can not tell you why the 2.7L EcoBoost trailer towing limit is less than the 2.0L EcoBoost (2,000 pounds).

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BD. Yes, the maximum trailer towing weight for the Fusion Sport 2.7L EcoBoost engine is 1,000 pounds. This information is also listed in the Owners Manual. Check the Index under "Towing" for the correct pages in your copy.

If you do not have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

I can not tell you why the 2.7L EcoBoost trailer towing limit is less than the 2.0L EcoBoost (2,000 pounds).

Good luck.
Thanks! Yeah. I read the manual again to confirm after I posted, and no idea why the Sport, with the F150 Engine has no little towing capacity. One comment I read on this forum made a good observation, that it may have more to do with the 19in wheels than anything else.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey All,

That's what Explorer St's are for.. :LOL:

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what Explorer St's are for.. :LOL:
Yes... I have an Explorer as the family car. Also my wifes daily driver. My problem is, is that is a lease, and don't want to add anything to it. I bought the FSport. Looking more into this, it seems the hitch bike rack made for 5 bikes requires the 2 inch hitch. And the sport only has a 1 1/4 hitch available. The 1 1/4 bike racks only hold two bikes. Will have to review this with the wife and confirm her Explorer didn't come with a hitch. It was the last 19' Explorer XLT they had on the lot and didn't really look into what it came with except for the fake leather and Sync 3. It also had Great Center Stack/controls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the hitch bike rack made for 5 bikes requires the 2 inch hitch. And the sport only has a 1 1/4 hitch available. The 1 1/4 bike racks only hold two bikes.
Any update? You're absolutely correct about what I quoted. You could possibly get three bikes on top with a roof rack and two on a hitch rack, but that's really the wrong vehicle for carrying five bikes (and how many passengers?)

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any update? You're absolutely correct about what I quoted. You could possibly get three bikes on top with a roof rack and two on a hitch rack, but that's really the wrong vehicle for carrying five bikes (and how many passengers?)
It would be 5 bikes and 5 passengers. If we decide to do something, I will have to ask the dealer about getting a tow hitch installed on my leased Explorer. Or take two vehicles.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just easier to put the bikes and gear in a trailer.
That is also something I could look into pulling from the FFS... Thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
That is also something I could look into pulling from the FFS... Thanks.
The harbor freight 4x8 trailers are a cheap choice and you can easily deck them out for what you want to do. You could put a large Contigo box across the front for all of the gear and tools, with fork or vertical mounts bolted to the ply wood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The harbor freight 4x8 trailers are a cheap choice and you can easily deck them out for what you want to do. You could put a large Contigo box across the front for all of the gear and tools, with fork or vertical mounts bolted to the ply wood.
The trailer hitch you showed looks like the one I was going to buy but haven’t done so yet. I researched it pretty thoroughly and called trailer. You should be OK with that one. As for five bikes, that really narrows your choices, I doubt you will find one that makes sense and safely carry five bikes and still be 1.25 receiver. What kind of bikes? Kids? I put my Trek 29” mountain bike in the back of mine all the time with all my gear. I also put my road bike with 700x32 tires w/ gear and it fits fine also. Both of these need the rear seats down. So 5 people won’t work. I have put up to six bikes, (some of them kids bikes) on a four bike rack by being creative with bungies!
as for racks, I suggest either Kuat or Thule. ThulecThule Pro T2 (I think) is the modular model they sell that is modular, and you buy a 2 bike rack, and add two and then a single to it to get five. It’s been a couple months since I researched it, but pretty sure that’s right. It gets a bit pricey though, and you will be tail heavy. If you have five mountain bikes, you could have lots of weight hanging out there. Might want to use the Explorer, remove the hitch at the end of your lease, hit the frame with black spray paint, and get it dirty before you turn it in!
Good luck! Happy riding! I live in Pittsburgh, and the Pro Bike and Run online store is pretty good. They are based here and have very good customer service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts