Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Does live traffic data display in your factory navigation? (sync3)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been bugging me since I got the car, August '16, and thought it would be fixed later on. When looking at the navigation/map, traffic data and incidents ARE NOT being displayed. If you click on Travel Link in the Apps menu, it will load every thing EXCEPT traffic. I've now found people with sync3 in other forums (f-150, edge, etc.) are having the same issues. The owners that have gone to the dealership just get their radio reset a few times and then Ford saying that the engineers are aware. Yes, I have access to Android Auto/Apple Play, but i PAID for a working navigation and the crap should be working. Is anyone else noticing this??? I search this forum for traffic questions and did find a topic on this.

On the f-150 forum, one user was told:
turn off car, open door for 3 minutes, close door, start car, drive around in open space......
If that is an official answer from an engineer, or whomever, they need to be shot in the face..... im just saying

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mine displays traffic and incidents very well and accurately as long as I put in a destination. It just doesn't always pick the best route or reroute very well, so I still use Google Maps if I'm at all thinking I may need to change course.

I'm not sure if it displays traffic if I am just driving without putting in a destination, I'll have to double check. That could be the difference.

Your problem also could be Sirius having poor/incomplete information in your area. Sync is just displaying data received from Sirius Traffic/Nav. So if Sirius isn't reporting bad traffic, then nothing will show up on Sync.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine displays traffic and incidents very well and accurately as long as I put in a destination. It just doesn't always pick the best route or reroute very well, so I still use Google Maps if I'm at all thinking I may need to change course.

I'm not sure if it displays traffic if I am just driving without putting in a destination, I'll have to double check. That could be the difference.

Your problem also could be Sirius having poor/incomplete information in your area. Sync is just displaying data received from Sirius Traffic/Nav. So if Sirius isn't reporting bad traffic, then nothing will show up on Sync.
This is my experience as well. When using navigation, meaning I have a destination set and the nav is telling me where to go, I see traffic congestion on my nav screen. When not using the nav, (I leave the screen on the "home page" which shows map, audio and phone) I do not see traffic congestion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would think that it was that, but Ford has already recognized that it's an issue. And I don't stay in the middle of nowhere so signal shouldn't be an issue since ALL other things work fine (Movie showtimes, ski conditions, sports scores, satellite radio).

Also, you should be getting traffic data WITHOUT setting a destination. It should literally work like when you look at google maps and show green/red for traffic.

This random because I know a guy with a Focus Rs and his works fine when looking at the maps. Know a guy with an f-150 and works fine. But when i google about sync 3 and live traffic not working, their are multiple forums with people having the issue and the dealership not being able to fix it and saying that Ford is aware. I refuse to reset this radio again....tired of changing my settings back to how i like it.
@SludgeFactory if your's is working, i am completely jealous and you should keep an eye on your car because i might trade with you in the middle of the night.
~signed~
TheFusionTrader *I'm not a thief*

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my experience as well. When using navigation, meaning I have a destination set and the nav is telling me where to go, I see traffic congestion on my nav screen. When not using the nav, (I leave the screen on the "home page" which shows map, audio and phone) I do not see traffic congestion.

Hope this helps.
It should show traffic when you have no destination selected

Attached is the nav of a 2016 Focus Rs in with no destination.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
You would think that it was that, but Ford has already recognized that it's an issue. And I don't stay in the middle of nowhere so signal shouldn't be an issue since ALL other things work fine (Movie showtimes, ski conditions, sports scores, satellite radio).

Also, you should be getting traffic data WITHOUT setting a destination. It should literally work like when you look at google maps and show green/red for traffic.

This random because I know a guy with a Focus Rs and his works fine when looking at the maps. Know a guy with an f-150 and works fine. But when i google about sync 3 and live traffic not working, their are multiple forums with people having the issue and the dealership not being able to fix it and saying that Ford is aware. I refuse to reset this radio again....tired of changing my settings back to how i like it.

@SludgeFactory if your's is working, i am completely jealous and you should keep an eye on your car because i might trade with you in the middle of the night.
~signed~
TheFusionTrader *I'm not a thief*
Mine works exactly like you describe it should.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine works exactly like you describe it should.
To you and the guys that said it worked:
Have you all updated to v2.2 of ford sync3?? or are you all using whatever version your car came with?? I have not updated like some have done using a usb.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine works since day one. My 6 month free trial ran out and when i called to get info about nav traffic, they said that 5 years of that is included with the car.

Not sure which version, i'll post tomorrow.

Reactions: kdarbuckle

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine is 2.0

How do I update? Do I want to update?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is 2.0

How do I update? Do I want to update?
The update isn't available over the air.... People are downloading some pre-release stuff on usb and manually doing it.... *i think* I don't want to try it because i don't want something that may be still being BETA tested or something....I'll just wait until ford releases it. I like testing out programs on PC's, but i'll pass on screwing with my car's computer/radio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just talked to Ford Customer Service about this. I was adamantly told the Traffic only displays when connected (via tether) to my phone. Of course, at that point your using Google Maps.

Are any of you getting traffic display while NOT connected to your phone (I.e. no Android Auto connection)?

I'm not ready to give up on this yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just talked to Ford Customer Service about this. I was adamantly told the Traffic only displays when connected (via tether) to my phone. Of course, at that point your using Google Maps.

Are any of you getting traffic display while NOT connected to your phone (I.e. no Android Auto connection)?

I'm not ready to give up on this yet.
I never have my phone plugged in and I always get traffic updates.
Try this .... when driving, press the voice button on the wheel and say "traffic" and it should come up on the display.
This is when you have a destination routed, not sure if it works when you don't because it would need to know where you're going.

Shawn S

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran across this thread today and it finally gave me reason to do the update to Sync3 v2.2 ... prior to the update traffic has never worked and I had given up/forgotten about the issue. I tested it today and traffic still did not show on my map. Installed the update to 2.2 while I waxed the car and tested afterwards ... traffic worked... with v2.2 I now see the traffic flow indication on I405 and I5 like I used to see in my Focus with MyFordTouch.

as for phone vs. Navigation .. I prefer ANYTHING with fully installed maps over a device that requires a cell connection to work. My old Garmin is the best GPS I've used and I keep the maps up to date on it, but I've found the old HD based Ford Nav, MFT, and Sync3 to be more than adequate for road trips. If I'm navigating in a city I'm unfamiliar with I'd prefer my Garmin over anything else just because I find it's instructions to be clear and easy to follow in comparison to most others (my Mustang being the worst at instructions, but 3 generations older for Ford nav).

·
Registered
402 Posts
My traffic does work all the time, even without putting in a destination. However, the only feature it has that trumps my phone is automatically showing me where all the gas stations are once my low fuel light goes on.

Reactions: kdarbuckle

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My traffic does work all the time, even without putting in a destination. However, the only feature it has that trumps my phone is automatically showing me where all the gas stations are once my low fuel light goes on.
At maybe my 3rd fill-up, I was like, "WAIT THE HELLL!!!!!!!" I had started to notice that i magically see gas stations when on E. I don't turn my icons on. I like just seeing the blank map......but i don't mind it showing fuel places and prices in a time of need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran across this thread today and it finally gave me reason to do the update to Sync3 v2.2 ... prior to the update traffic has never worked and I had given up/forgotten about the issue. I tested it today and traffic still did not show on my map. Installed the update to 2.2 while I waxed the car and tested afterwards ... traffic worked... with v2.2 I now see the traffic flow indication on I405 and I5 like I used to see in my Focus with MyFordTouch.

as for phone vs. Navigation .. I prefer ANYTHING with fully installed maps over a device that requires a cell connection to work. My old Garmin is the best GPS I've used and I keep the maps up to date on it, but I've found the old HD based Ford Nav, MFT, and Sync3 to be more than adequate for road trips. If I'm navigating in a city I'm unfamiliar with I'd prefer my Garmin over anything else just because I find it's instructions to be clear and easy to follow in comparison to most others (my Mustang being the worst at instructions, but 3 generations older for Ford nav).
How did you get the update file. I tried the links on the thread about updating and it sends me to a blank site. Please share your source! SHARING IS CARING! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts