Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FFS a little over 3 weeks now, and one of the first things I did was get my Tracy Lewis catch can installed. I needed an oil cap adapter because the kit came with a full size oil cap, so I only had the dirty side hooked up for the first two weeks. The last pic is what the can caught during the two weeks with only the dirty side hooked up. During that time I drove maybe 300-400 miles, so it's catching quite a lot. I think long term would see quite a build up with all that going back into the engine without the can.
The can is driained via a hose that runs under the car. It's not an inexpensive setup, especially with the install but it already seems to be doing a good job.

Attachments

Reactions: Flew

·
Registered
462 Posts
Excellent info.

I beleive I will follow suit.
Thank you.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I like, but ****..draining under the car...****..gets annoying going under there. Those easier for me due to having more space between the edge and ground.

got a link to the catch can?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not my preferred location but it's right near the oil plug. The tech that installed it said he has had people tell the place changing the oil to empty the can during the change. If I decide to change it myself I'll already be under there.

http://teamrxp.com/t/new-tracy-lewis-cans

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You could always extend the hose and relocate it to the front of the car. That's how I had my mustang set up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had my FFS a little over 3 weeks now, and one of the first things I did was get my Tracy Lewis catch can installed. I needed an oil cap adapter because the kit came with a full size oil cap, so I only had the dirty side hooked up for the first two weeks. The last pic is what the can caught during the two weeks with only the dirty side hooked up. During that time I drove maybe 300-400 miles, so it's catching quite a lot. I think long term would see quite a build up with all that going back into the engine without the can.
The can is driained via a hose that runs under the car. It's not an inexpensive setup, especially with the install but it already seems to be doing a good job.
I like the Blue engine cover. Did you get it done or do it yourself?

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Without getting deep into the legal battle. Can someone explain the rxp vs Tracy Lewis thing? Cause there's also here, which seems like Tracy Lewis's actual site. Tracy Lewis Monster Dual Valve Catch Can Kit - Tracy Lewis Performance
According to Mcnally, Tracy was an employee that stole the design when he left.

Edit: Tracy is a forum member here and has been very forthcoming and helpful. He has since clarified the issue for us and it looks more like McNally was the one doing the shady business. I'm more inclined to believe Tracy after looking into it a bit further and seeing what both sides have to say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
According to Mcnally, Tracy was an employee that stole the design when he left.
And they continue to name it after him because of name recognition? How'd it get his name in the first place? Nevermind. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
From McNally

"We are NOT associated with Tracy Lewis, Team RXP, RXP Canada or Ski Motor Sports, LLC.

In 2015 McNally purchased RX Extreme and RX Performance Products. Tracy Lewis was an employee of this company and with a team of McNally Engineers developed the RX Oil Catch Can that is on the market today and manufactured by McNally. When Tracy Lewis left this company all intellectual property was legally granted/sold/bought by to McNally Electronics, Inc.

This includes:
RX Catch Can
Catch Can
Single valve Catch Can
Dual Valve Catch Can
Catch Can
RX Clean Side Separator
RX Super Charger
RX Super Chiller

Unfortunately, Tracy Lewis proceeded to use mentioned intellectual property without the consent or authorization of McNally Electronics, Inc., Aviation Instrument Technologies, Inc., Extreme Auto Products or any other Companies associated with McNally Electronics, Inc."

I found that quote from McNally on another forum. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit for clarification: After getting Tracy's side of the story, it seems Tracy was conned out of the design by McNally, and McNally started to copy it with cheap, low quality materials. I can't personally confirm since I don't have either unit, but I'm more inclined to believe Tracy due to the fact that Tracy has been in the forum and has been very forthcoming and helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I interpret that to mean that both companies are still calling it the RX catch can, while each associates their own respective name to it as well. There are McNally RX cans, and there are Tracy Lewis RX cans.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I interpret that to mean that both companies are still calling it the RX catch can, while each associates their own respective name to it as well. There are McNally RX cans, and there are Tracy Lewis RX cans.
So then, the right place to buy should actually be from McNally Electronics?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
So then, the right place to buy should actually be from McNally Electronics?
If you believe what i posted, and are bothered by the morality of the ordeal, then yes, go with McNally. I think both are of equal quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shop that did my install has been getting them since before the fallout, and they choose to get them from Tracy now. In fact, the shop owner called Tracy about where to install a sensor that had to be moved during the install. He believes the can quality to be better from Tracy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was reading comments from guys on another forum saying if you are using premium oil like royal purple and others, you don't need to use these catch cans. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tracy has been on these forums directly. As far as any fallout, the only places that I've talked to about it that actually carry the product, carry Tracy's version and only his version.

As far as the oil and not needing catch cans - that was based around the higher quality oils not evaporating as readily as the cheaper oils... That said, I have no idea if it's enough to avoid the oil evaporating completely or not.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Catch cans also catch fuel and water vapors, so even if high quality oil doesn't vaporize as easily (it still does, so there's that, too), you are catching other things you may not want back in your intake.

Reactions: Flew

·
Registered
346 Posts
Catch cans also catch fuel and water vapors, so even if high quality oil doesn't vaporize as easily (it still does, so there's that, too), you are catching other things you may not want back in your intake.
I'm not sure I understand how this is such a problem and if so why aren't these catch cans built into our cars ...
Nobody here has spent millions of dollars on research and development and we yet still know that there is a problem with vapors getting back into our intake ... if this is a detrimental problem that causes major incidents why is this not something that has been taken care of from the factory seeing that these 2.7 engines have been out for quite some time ... what are the pitfalls to having these vapors come back into your intake what makes this incident so bad and why is it something that we have to solve by ourselves ?... i'm pretty sure installing a component that attaches to my engine with in the engine bay is going to avoid some form of warranty or at least cause a service writer to give me a hard time ... bottom line is that I see this being a problem that if I sought by myself I end up causing myself more problems by voiding warranties and if I don't solve it from what you guys are telling me will cause me a lot of problems down the line if I want to keep this car and maintain my original engine ... I hate being put in a position where I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I'm not sure I understand how this is such a problem and if so why aren't these catch cans built into our cars ...
Nobody here has spent millions of dollars on research and development and we yet still know that there is a problem with vapors getting back into our intake ... if this is a detrimental problem that causes major incidents why is this not something that has been taken care of from the factory seeing that these 2.7 engines have been out for quite some time ... what are the pitfalls to having these vapors come back into your intake what makes this incident so bad and why is it something that we have to solve by ourselves ?... i'm pretty sure installing a component that attaches to my engine with in the engine bay is going to avoid some form of warranty or at least cause a service writer to give me a hard time ... bottom line is that I see this being a problem that if I sought by myself I end up causing myself more problems by voiding warranties and if I don't solve it from what you guys are telling me will cause me a lot of problems down the line if I want to keep this car and maintain my original engine ... I hate being put in a position where I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't
I don't know how much you've looked into the issue, but there are 3 problems caused by these vapors, and they are well documented by many ecoboost owners.

1) gunk baking onto the intake valves. This one you might be able to take care of with a regular flushing with seafoam or something like that. This is also the one that is significantly reduced with high quality oil because water and fuel vapors wont bake onto your valves.

2) Gunk in your intercooler. It can result in problems as minor as decreasing the efficiency of your intercooler, or as severe as hydro locking your engine under the right conditions. Some ecoboost owners drill a tiny hole in their intercooler to make sure the don't hydro lock.

3) Effectively decreases the octane of your fuel. This is only important for those of us that tune, unless it's so severe that it causes the knock retard under normal driving, in which case mpg would suffer.

It is a problem with ALL cars, not just ecoboost cars. Oil breathers have been the bane of car forums for ages, and because turbocharged direct injected engines are impacted most, it's a particularly hot topic on the ecoboost forums. The reason manufacturers don't put catch cans on cars is because you have to drain them, and that's way too hard for most consumers. Also, why should they bother? By the time you are seeing the effects, your warranty is long gone most of the time.

Reactions: NNUTTHOWZE and Flew
1 - 20 of 62 Posts