Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made three runs at NE Dragway tonight - The car is very consistent at about 12.8 and 106 MPH - the issue is not power at this time it is traction off the line - We are putting BFG G force comps on Monday - It should allow us to launch at a higher RPM (i.e. 3000)- which will reduce the 60 FT time and get the ET lower - We will run again next Friday and hoping for about 12.6 or better - I really think that will be the best this car can do without some significant mods. But Lets be real in the 12 sec arena is pretty darn good company!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice! I have comp 2's. My sweet spot was 2000K. Much more and I had wheel hop. Could be the track though. IDK.

2,000,000 RPM? That's intense!

Back on topic - glad to hear you're running consistently. Looking forward to seeing what this week brings. You're running Unleashed tunes, right?

I'm fortunate to have Maple Grove maybe 20 minutes away. Finally hope to run a few times this spring, but seeing what you guys are achieving with tunes is making it hard to stay stock.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave - if you are running A/S they do not grip near as well as a soft summer tire - Lets see what happens next week with the BFG G force -

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just a quick look at Discount Tire Direct, they only have 2!! options for our stock tire size.

Yokohama YK740 GTX
Continental ContiProContact

If you go with the 245/40/19 "plus zero" size, they have about 20 different options. Do you think you'll have any issues with rubbing with the 245's?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are no issues with a 245 - couple of guys with stock 235 are running them - but that is as big as you can go

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think FastGal is right the A/S tire could hurt you, in addition to the shorter sidewall due to the dubs. A 245/40/19 summer tire would help I think.

Dave

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think FastGal is right the A/S tire could hurt you, in addition to the shorter sidewall due to the dubs. A 245/40/19 summer tire would help I think.

Dave
i wouldnt be shocked at all, some sites were getting much better 0-60 times with the summer only tires on the fusion sport

·
Registered
868 Posts
i wouldnt be shocked at all, some sites were getting much better 0-60 times with the summer only tires on the fusion sport
Car & Driver actually found that the A/S gave them a tenth better to 60mph and in the 1/4 mile according to their test sheets. But, either way 1/10th you're only going to notice on a time slip.

Here are the Goodyear All-seasons (which I think most of us have the Conti A/S, so...weird?)
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...-and-driverfordfusionsportecoboostawd2017.pdf

Here are the Conti "summer" tires (which again I feel is weird, I thought the "summer" tire option was Goodyear.)
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...d-driverfordfusionsportawdsummertires2017.pdf

·
Registered
868 Posts
there are no issues with a 245 - couple of guys with stock 235 are running them - but that is as big as you can go
Awesome! I also noticed that most if not all of the 245/40 tires had a 98Y load index, which is higher than the stock tires @ 96Y, by about 100lbs more carrying capacity @ each tire. I've noticed better handling in past cars when going to a higher load rating. I've only got 7 or 8 10ths left on my stock Contis, so it's time to start thinking about it...

Sorry, didn't mean to thread-jack. Love seeing what you are doing on the track. I'll get there someday!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok it's been a week! Did you get the BFGs on yet? 😁

·
Registered
63 Posts
NVM -- just read in another post you guys got rained out. Doesn't sound like you went with the BFGs though?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rain again this week but hope for Friday - Did a practice launch on the street with BFG and they stick better but the track is the test

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NE Dragway is one of the top tracks in the country -- they host the Mello Yellow big boys first week of June so track prep is almost always very good - however not quite as good on street nights but still a lot better than running on the street.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I saw the little and I mean little intercooler I had hunch that these cars would not like Hot weather - that was confirmed last night at the track Temp 86 degrees and fairly humid: Did not have much time to let it sit after driving 20 miles - It launched really well on the new tires but you could feel the loss of power - First run was 12.89 at 105 - but the next 2 runs were barely in the 12 and the trap was 102 and the last one was 13.02 - Next week it will be low 60 on Wed so that will be the test. The car is in serious need of a larger intercooler!!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't realize how much the temperature and heat soak would affect things. Thanks for the update

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes heat and humidity are car killers along with altitude all of which make up DA - large intercoolers are a must if you are really into drag racing - The other option is to let the car set on hot days for a minimum of 45 minutes between runs and use a fan, ice or other cooling method. Too bad for us there are no aftermarket intercoolers that will work on the Sport as of yet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I saw the little and I mean little intercooler I had hunch that these cars would not like Hot weather - that was confirmed last night at the track Temp 86 degrees and fairly humid: Did not have much time to let it sit after driving 20 miles - It launched really well on the new tires but you could feel the loss of power - First run was 12.89 at 105 - but the next 2 runs were barely in the 12 and the trap was 102 and the last one was 13.02 - Next week it will be low 60 on Wed so that will be the test. The car is in serious need of a larger intercooler!!!!!!
only change is the summer tires? a 12.89 in that heating is movinggggggggggg lol. Your gonna be FAST when its cold out

1 - 20 of 58 Posts