Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems there are 2 ways to activate TPMS learning mode.

ROTATE TIRES

Using the hazard lights is for when you rotate tires, but do not change sensors. It just teaches the car the new location of the SAME sensors.

Turn on ignition, turn hazard lights on and off 3 times, horn beeps and message displays on the dash to train LF tire.

SWAP TIRE SETS OR NEW SENSORS

Using the on/off x3 brake on/off x3 is for when you put on different sensors, it makes the car “forget” the old sensors and “learn” the new ones.

With the ignition off push and release the brake pedal, turn the ignition to run then off 2 times ending with run, push and release the brake pedal, turn the ignition off then to run 3 more times ending in run, horn beeps and message displays on the dash to train LF tire.

DUPLICATE ID

You can also get duplicate ID sensors. You can’t re-program the ID, so the best you can do is swap it to your other set of tires or return it and get a different sensor. Only a scan tool will tell you the ID (maybe FORSCAN will, never tired), so the procedure will just not complete if you get 2 sensors with the same ID. Seems odd with the fairly long hexadecimal code that I would get the same ID with 8 sensors, but I guess it happens here and there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been messing with both sets of my tires and 3 new sensors (I broke 2 swapping to new winter tires and I bought one as a spare). One thing I have found, is if you remove a wheel/tire with the correct ID matches to the TPMS, and replace it with one that is the wrong ID, the TPMS module will not throw a fault. it just displays some reasonable tire pressure and makes you think it is working (but the pressure would never change). I NEVER did the tire swap relearn procedure when I first put on my summer tires, so there is no way the new ID's would have been loaded into the TPMS module.

I swear when I went to the road course, my tire pressures went through the roof, but I may have pulled the good years off and went straight to the summer tires, so those sensors would have already had the correct ID's uploaded. it was later on I got second set of rims and winter tires, but those must have NEVER been working right, even though I never got a TPMS fault or light, Odd!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took some pics with the new scan tool I got, Autel TS508.

These are the new, updated PN sensors that I thought were not working.

Scan tool modes

Pick the brand, car, and years of sensor

Get into relearn using the "new sensor" method (with brake pedal/ign)

Set scan tool to relearn

read each of the sensors

Training complete

It then gives you status of all the sensors.

connect up to OBD II port

Then shows you all sensors are being read through OBDII port, all are communicating with TPMS module, and what real time pressures are.
(and no trouble codes in TPMS module).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seemed like they were still out of sequence, so I did the "tire rotation" re-learn again. (with hazard flasher sequence)

It took 3 tries and I had to move to each sensor very quickly to get the TPMS module to get the right sequence.
I lowered left rear tire down to 22 PSI to see if it got sequence right (as that is the last tire read in procedure).

Finally matches up with each corner and what scan tool read directly off sensors.

Threshold pressure didn't cross over to "good" until 33PSI

I scanned both AS3+'s

And PS4S's so I'd have ID's in case I ever need them.

Was trying to figure out a way to test the sensors under pressure without all the work of putting them in a tire.
First tested sensor in free air

Brake pressure bleeder to the rescue, put sensor in brake fluid reservoir

Pumped it up to about 17 PSI

Pretty close

Not sure if I will keep scan tool. Lot of playing around I could not have dome without it.
One nice thing is it comes with lifetime updates for new cars and sensors, so it should work "forever"

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
55 Posts
This has been very informative. I have a question though, if you rotate your tires (for even tread wear, etc) does this mean if one of the tires loses pressure after a tire rotation, on the display the tire will not corresposnd to the correct location? Or does the system log the PID of the sesnsors so that it knows which 4 to communicate with, and after a tire rotation (swapping all 4 tires around) and the next "read" occurs, the tire will be matched on the display with the correct location based on the sensor communicating with the car at that location? Or do you need to actually do the 3x hazard TPMS relearn procedure after a tire rotation?

I think my question makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes to the first part. Some German cars and many Chryslers (probably because they were owned by the Germans for a spell) have an antenna near each wheel so the system knows which sensor is where. Our's doesn't, it just knows it needs 4 signals and for the display purpose on the dash, the system could care less which one is where. "liabilitywise", I guess Ford doesn't really care if you know which tire is going down, just that you know there is one. (you could put 4 sensors in your trunk in a chamber pressurized to 33+ PSI, and system would think everything is fine forever).

As far as I can tell, the TPMS module will not update the ID of the sensors unless you do the "new" sensor re-learn. I thought maybe there would be a manual update through OBDII to directly write them in, but there is not (at least on this scan tool). You have to force the sensors to "awake" in the right sequence, after you have told the TPMS module to start recording new ID's.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
We have self-learning TPMS - meaning during a tire rotation they will re-learn automatically. On my 2014 SHO it didnt have this, so after a rotation, the tire pressure readings are wrong. I believe Ford started doing this after 2015 or 2016?

In any case, lessons learned: I plan to disable TPMS via FORScan after I get new tires on the Sport. One of them isn't working right and Discount Tire wants $60 to swap it out. In the past I followed the rules and paid the money for my Mustang since they were old. Now that we have FORScan, I'll just disable them and save the trouble of having to pay to replace them. I check my tires each monthly on a schedule any how. If a tire blows out, I'll just keep driving until I can put on the donut. I've done that in the past on this car. It's too dangerous in SE MI to pull over to change out a tire in public.

·
Registered
17' FFS
71 Posts
We have self-learning TPMS - meaning during a tire rotation they will re-learn automatically. On my 2014 SHO it didnt have this, so after a rotation, the tire pressure readings are wrong. I believe Ford started doing this after 2015 or 2016?

In any case, lessons learned: I plan to disable TPMS via FORScan after I get new tires on the Sport. One of them isn't working right and Discount Tire wants $60 to swap it out. In the past I followed the rules and paid the money for my Mustang since they were old. Now that we have FORScan, I'll just disable them and save the trouble of having to pay to replace them. I check my tires each monthly on a schedule any how. If a tire blows out, I'll just keep driving until I can put on the donut. I've done that in the past on this car. It's too dangerous in SE MI to pull over to change out a tire in public.
So just thought I'd add my own 2 cents to this. I agree with metro. I've swapped sets several times now all by myself, with out doing a relearn procedure, (sometimes twice in one weekend) and for the first 100ish miles I'll have a tpms error. But they reset and update pressures eventually. I've never had wrong side pressure sensors or anything before.

Even when I first got them tirerack shipped my set to a Firestone dealer and I pretty much just showed up to have them mount them. When they were done they warned me that the TPMS sensors will need time to reset for the current conditions etc. I paid for the extra set of TPMS' so my summer and winter both have different sets.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
Same with me - each time I've rotated my tires the position has been re-learned after one or two drives. I'm reminded how nice this feature is every season when I re-train the TPMS on my Edge and the horn blasts in my face for the front two wheels!

The car should also auto-learn new TPMS - again, mine has at least. When I first got my Escape wheels I had a constant TMPS error (as expected). With the correct sensors installed now, the car auto-learned the new sensors after a roughly 20-minute drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts