Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

TPMS Reset After Wheel Rotation

18K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Advocate 
#1 ·
Is there a need or method to reset or recalibrate the TPMS after a wheel rotation? I rotated yesterday after I upgraded my center caps but noticed this morning on my drive to work they seemed to have done it on its own.

#2 ·
Preferred Method

Reactions: 102_om
#3 ·
Lol. Can't see videos at work.

#6 ·
Yeah, they are. They learned on the drive to work.

#7 ·
When I rotated my tires in March they switched position automatically as well. Like before, the fronts get 1psi higher when hot. Just sharing my findings to confirm.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. I was wondering and quickly coming up to the first rotation.

#9 ·
I just had issues with the TPMS sensors after swapping to my winter tires. Here are some more tidbits that I got from tirerack today on this issue. I'm pretty sure my issue was that my factory tires were in the garage about 15 feet from the car. Last year I stored them inside. Once I moved them inside and followed this procedure it worked like a charm. I used the cheap tool in the first video.

Quote from TireRack:

Good afternoon. Please see the attached instructions for the TPMS sensors.
My hardware support tech also provided additional suggestions:

1) Check for a TPMS sensor in a full size spare. Include this tire in the tire pressure check/confirmation.
2) Make sure the vehicle that is learning sensors is 30 + ft. away from any other TPMS sensors. (in other words the OE T&W should not be stored in the back of the vehicle when attempting a re-learn)
3) If the vehicle has heavy tinted windows or is lifted, they may need to attempt the re-learn with the windows down or the doors open.
4) If one or two sensors will register but one or two don’t, try turning the wheel 180 deg. so that the sensor position and signal are not blocked by a brake caliper etc.
5) Unplug any external electrical devices (cell phone chargers, coffee warmers, GPS units etc., from the aux power plug/cigarette lighter socket. (electrical interference)
6) Unplug any external electrical devices from the OBD II connector under the dash on the driver’s side. (Data Stream interference)
7) If all of these check out OK, Try disconnecting the negative battery cable to reset the system. Reconnect and attempt re-learn again.

Here are the instructions they sent me. Much more involved then the hazard light trick but it worked for me!

Attachments

#10 ·
I have rotated mine twice and they auto learn fairly quickly as to what position they got swapped into. So much better than the days of wondering which tire was low when the light came on.

#11 ·
last year it picked up the winter tires without any issues. This year it tossed an error after about two days. I suspect my issue was the factory tires sitting 15 feet away from the car in my garage got it nice and confused. Last year I put yhe factory tires in my basement as soon as I took them off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.