Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There will always be someone who yells that I should just buy a truck, but lets ignore that for a bit.

I occasionally tow a trailer around 1300 lbs loaded.

According to Ford, the 2.0L Fusion has a capacity of 2000 lbs, but the Sport has a capacity of only 1000 lbs. Considering how much more torque and power the engine has, I found this really surprising. Does anyone have any idea what the limiting factor is here? Maybe transmission cooling?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There will always be someone who yells that I should just buy a truck, but lets ignore that for a bit.

According to Ford, the 2.0L Fusion has a capacity of 2000 lbs, but the Sport has a capacity of only 1000 lbs. Considering how much more torque and power the engine has, I found this really surprising. Does anyone have any idea what the limiting factor is here? Maybe transmission cooling?
Could be of all things the electronic suspension, especially the pothole feature. Supposed to keep the wheel "up" when it goes over a pothole. Maybe a trailer over 1000 messes with the suspension dynamics enough to make that the limit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be of all things the electronic suspension, especially the pothole feature. Supposed to keep the wheel "up" when it goes over a pothole. Maybe a trailer over 1000 messes with the suspension dynamics enough to make that the limit.
That's actually a really good idea, I think you may be right. Interestingly enough I'm sure if they thought it was valuable, they could do some clever things with the electronic suspension to make it tow even better.

At this point I may wait to see how Ford markets the Mondeo Sport in Europe. Usually they're much more generous with towing capacities there so it might give me a better idea of what's actually do-able for the car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
FYI, Edge Sport does not have the whole pothole avoidance gimmickry, yet its towing capacity is also reduced compared to Edge 2.0t, so it,s probably not it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the problem may be getting a hitch mounted on the vehicle. I just looked underneath mine last night after reviewing pictures and videos of putting a hitch on a 2016 Fusion. The Sport Exhaust - muffler specifically is much longer than the base cars. (It is basically the width of the rear end of the car, minus the exhaust tips) IF you can get a hitch to mount ...somewhere it will have to route around the exhaust.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The tires are capable of higher loads according to the sidewall ratings on mine and the transmission is more than capable of towing, the turbo Flex uses the same one. I figure it has to be something in the suspension, maybe the adjustable shocks as everything else is equal or beefier to the lower speced Fusions.

Frustrating in some ways as I just assumed when I bought mine last year that it would have the same 2K rating. You are right that the room back there is limited, though Curt makes a hitch that mostly fits.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The towing ratings are verified using the SAE J2807 method. If it is not the tires, then I suspect the cooling is the issue. The big test is doing the the 11.4-mile-long Davis Dam Grade with minimum air temp of 100 deg, speed never dropping below 40mph, AC on Max and with zero warnings/alerts or coolant loss.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's my observations from towing real world...

I had the curt hitch installed as soon as it became available. I mostly use it for a bike rack (1upusa) but I also tow a small utility trailer to pick up landscape supplies for around the house. So far, I've had no concerns with heat, stopping or weight. Those landscape supplies include aggregates and a trailer loaded with 16 cedar trees (5 feet). Now, I'm only going 30k, but no troubles.

I've also hauled a loaded ubox 5x8 from uhaul about 20km at highway speeds with no problems or concerns.

Perhaps the lower towing capacity has to do with the weight of the vehicle? I'm assuming they aren't running every model of fusion through the towing test, but if they were to run a 2.0, which weighs considerable less, is it conceivable they would then just deduct the additional weight of our cars from the towing capacity?

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts

A vehicle's towing capacity is not just based on engine power. You have to think about what all parts affected can handle: engine hp and torque, engine mounts, transmission, suspension, how the frame will handle weight added on the back end, and other stuff. If 1000lbs is what they came up with, it's for a reason. Of course you can tow something bigger, if you just want to. It's just gonna potentially lower the life of your car.
But it's your car, your money, your choices..........

·
Registered
136 Posts
A vehicle's towing capacity is not just based on engine power. You have to think about what all parts affected can handle: engine hp and torque, engine mounts, transmission, suspension, how the frame will handle weight added on the back end, and other stuff. If 1000lbs is what they came up with, it's for a reason. Of course you can tow something bigger, if you just want to. It's just gonna potentially lower the life of your car.
But it's your car, your money, your choices..........
I was just about to type this lol

·
Registered
826 Posts
To add to this discussion the OEM Goodyears have a load index of 96 = 1565lbs for a tire caring capacity of 6260. I believe a member has weighed their Fusion and it came in right around 4,000 lbs, leaving 2260lbs tire caring capacity between both front and rear axles.

From the door sticker:
GVWR: 5060lbs
GAWR F: 2775lbs R: 2315lbs
Max Load (Occupants + luggage) : 827lbs

The max load is interesting since it should be GVWR - curb weight, 5060 - 4000 = 1060lbs

The oddest omission to me is the GCWR missing from the Ford towing guides. Ford does specify the front area limitation of 20sqft, which is not much bigger then the Fusion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The words "Fusion Sport" and "tow vehicle" should NOT be used in the same sentence, lol...that's what the hooptee is for...

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie
1 - 14 of 14 Posts