Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shouldn't even publicly admit this (there is law enforcement lurking this forum).... buuut for the sake of information and data

I was on my way up to a golf outing a few weeks back, it was early (0600) on Saturday... the stretch of highway was under the rising sun with spattering of other cars.

I couldn't help myself.... S mode engaged.... Foot to the floor and just watched her pull. 110 came quick... 120... 130... 135... and shut her down. Let me repeat, there wasn't a car on the stretch of road I was on, but it was still extremely dangerous. This car handled so well, felt like 80. Car was extremely stable with zero shake and pulling. When I say stable, I mean it was planted to the road. The car pulled the entire way to 135. I honestly didn't believe the speedo as the car handles so well.

I've had some extremely fast cars and have been in many many fast cars (European sports cars, American Muscle) and the FuSpo definitely doesn't disappoint.

I live to drive another day

·
Registered
246 Posts
as they say, its not speed that kills, its abruptly stopping that gets ya. Fun info to know anyway. I'm guessing it has a nanny that limits it to 135. I would guess it has more to give. I would have liked to see the standard 155 like they do in europe, if any.

People like to whine about stuff like this, but if the road is clear and smooth, and the car and it's driver are capable, then I see no problem. Your life is yours to choose what you do with it. good on you for having some real fun with it!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing it has a nanny that limits it to 135. I would guess it has more to give. I would have liked to see the standard 155 like they do in europe, if any.
I shut it down at 135... so I'm not sure if it would have pulled longer. I was approaching vehicles about 1/2 mile ahead... so I wanted the runway for a more controlled stop. I have read a few places that the top speed is estimated at 155... not sure if that's where the limiter is set or not.

People like to whine about stuff like this, but if the road is clear and smooth, and the car and it's driver are capable, then I see no problem. Your life is yours to choose what you do with it. good on you for having some real fun with it!
Like I said, it's dangerous, lots of things can go wrong. I felt comfortable as I've been at those speeds many many times before. I sometimes feel that driving on the highway in rush hour traffic going 70mph is more dangerous...:|

·
Registered
100 Posts
I pulled up info on my car's VIN on Ford Etis and it states that there was no pre-programmed speed limit placed during production. I, myself, have gone about 140mph before slowing down for possible obstacles up ahead.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So no governors ? That's not what I would have though. But nonetheless, throw a tune on these things and I'm sure you'll be hitting some real nice speeds in a shorter time. They have a lot of fire in em' !

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hmm... so this will probably be the first car I never see the top end of. Every other car I have owned I have taken it up to the governor in.

1995 Chevy Blazer - 99
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - 107
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - 108
2010 Ford Fusion Sport - 132 (done with GPS as speedo only goes to 120)

It will probably bug me that I won't have actually gone to the limit in this car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pretty much all car companies limit the top speed of the car based on the OEM tire speed rating, otherwise that would be just dumb. So whatever the rating on the factory all season tires is, is the top speed of the car.

With that being said, i Hit 125 MPH over the weekend, the car pulls so well when it shifts at like 110MPH, I was very surprised by that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With that being said, i Hit 125 MPH over the weekend, the car pulls so well when it shifts at like 110MPH, I was very surprised by that.
Same... I was fully prepared for the 2 mile drag up to 125+. My GXP I had was a dog past 110-115.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the all seasons. Think they end in 96V, which would be a V rating. So the gov would be 149mph? Will never hit that unless I go to the track. 10 years ago I'd have verified it by now lol.

Did ~160mph in my '01 z28 before it could give no more, speedo ended at 155. Those had Z tires so no governor.

Edit: Looked it up and seems 4th gen F-bods with Z tires had a limit of 162mph.

·
Registered
246 Posts
not to get too far off topic, but the summer wheels I'm going to put on my Fusion have Z rated rubber on them, which means they're meant to exceed 149 MPH, according to tire rack. The tragic thing, is that I originally bought them for my '02 Vulcan-powered Taurus, and I shudder to think what that car would be like if it would have been capable of that kind of speed... terrifying.

I'm sure my Fusion will appreciate them much more than the old Taurus did.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's also a sticker inside the door that reminds you to add 5 psi if you're going to take the car up past 100 mph. I've never seen that before, so I think Ford knows what they've made. I wouldn't be surprised if the governor is quite high.

Reactions: elronino and 1153

·
Registered
868 Posts
What PSI is everyone running? Mine seem to hover around 40psi. Anywhere from 37-43 is what I've seen.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been hovering around 39-41 PSI depending on weather.

I'm likely going to adjust pressure as winter arrives and we start to get some snow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will likely adjust down to add a bit more grip. I'm following the same principals I use for bicycle racing. Wet conditions or conditions where I would like a bit more tire traction/grip, I drop the PSI down.

It won't be drastic drop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A friend was driving his Fusion Sport and the fun stopped about 125 miles per hour (indicated 127-128). My friend was not surprised by this since my friend saw this was the speed limit cited in reviews. My friend was more surprised to see other people now going faster than that. My friend will probably now go ponder this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tell "Your Friend" to look his VIN up on Ford Etis to see if it says it put a speed restriction on his car.....Also, ask him where he found multiple sites stating the limit.....I've searched just now and before and never found a site posting one.......better yet, tell "your friend" to quit being scared and press the pedal down. Maybe he'll go faster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tell "Your Friend" to look his VIN up on Ford Etis to see if it says it put a speed restriction on his car.....Also, ask him where he found multiple sites stating the limit.....I've searched just now and before and never found a site posting one.......better yet, tell "your friend" to quit being scared and press the pedal down. Maybe he'll go faster.
I just looked mine up on Etis. Here is one of the items listed.

"Less Electronic Speed Limitation"

1 - 20 of 81 Posts