Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all want to see OUR Sport go 0-60 in 4.3 secs. On this we may all be able to agree on. But are we too stuck on this one performance evaluation? Below is a portion of a post I recently posted on another thread but would like to reiterate.

"The car is fast,I love driving it. But even if we were to leave the now infamous 3rd gear out of the equation, it seems to me that the very fact that it (in it's current form) has to shift to 3rd in the first place before hitting 60 is what is/will ruin it's 0-60 time.

But should we be so caught up on this specific performance evaluation? What if the Sport hit 0-50 faster than a Mustang GT? Would we still think it is slow?"

???

·
Registered
529 Posts
I said this before... expectations of a face melter that could run with pony cars were going to leave testers "disappointed".

Certainly I would like to see a good 0-60... but is that really the metric that makes a car FUN to drive? What about lateral G'a in and out of turns? Skid pad numbers? Your favorite track or circuit lap times? Braking performance?

I agree with that 0-60 is what people thrive on and may be focusing on all to quickly forget or fail to see the thrill of driving a car with this much power. If one wanted a 0-60 mind melter then get a pony car .... or fork over the extra 15-25k for a fancy euro sedan with muscle. Take this to your nearest race track .... not quarter mile... and pair this up with your sub 4.5 or even sub 5 sedan/pony car and see what happens.

I've been WAITING for this car to debut since I heard a rumor about it from Ford friends a couple years ago. There will always be skeptics and nay-Sayers... but what matters is the car is getting into the mitts of the folks that want it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So we all want to see OUR Sport go 0-60 in 4.3 secs. On this we may all be able to agree on. But are we too stuck on this one performance evaluation? Below is a portion of a post I recently posted on another thread but would like to reiterate.

"The car is fast,I love driving it. But even if we were to leave the now infamous 3rd gear out of the equation, it seems to me that the very fact that it (in it's current form) has to shift to 3rd in the first place before hitting 60 is what is/will ruin it's 0-60 time.

But should we be so caught up on this specific performance evaluation? What if the Sport hit 0-50 faster than a Mustang GT? Would we still think it is slow?"

???
Too many variables to think that all the way through. And what I mean is like the post above me people want to see the car on a circuit track do well, some want to see 0-60, some 1/4 mile, some 60-100. It's all in the way you are comparing and what your objective is...

I have an Edge Sport that does 4.9 0-60 and with 1-foot roll out 4.5 (like car mags). I think that's perfect for sleeper status and taking down some quick cars. Would I race them from a roll? Heck no, my mph in my quarter and highway roll power is almost as slow as my tuned GLi with 120 less hp.

In the end the 0-60 is good if you like that thing but to each their own. Also they need a good way of measuring... not some app or obd2 thing - VBOX is where it's at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stoked it will be faster than 8.1 in my dart! I don't know what I'm gonna do with the 3 extra seconds I get every time!

Probably put them away,in a drawer for a rainy day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't actually care about 0-60, I just want say 90% of the "push back into the seat" of the GTO, which should be possible with less horsepower on AWD... Although why all the Euro sedans have a "launch mode" and the Ford has a "diminish mode" for launching seems a bit strange???

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my mind for a car to be fun to drive it doesn't need to have a fast 0-60. **** look at an E30 M3, **** slow but fun to drive. Lots of Journalists say the Fiesta ST is better then the (faster) Focus ST. Plus I've heard people say the Focus ST is more fun then the Mustang GT.

The other thing I've noticed is that people are doing more runway racing like 1/2 mile runs.

Sure 0-60 is an important number but it's how it fits with everything else (braking, 30-100, lateral g's etc).

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the real world, needing to shift to 3rd to reach 60 really only takes a hit to the bragging rights. This same thing happened to the WRX when for any number of reasons Subaru engineers determined it needed to shift into 3rd at 59 mph. For all practical purposes it changed nothing about the car, except that people bought it for impractical purposes.

When the whole sporting aspect is the reason why you spent $10,000 more for THIS Fusion over the identical looking one right next to it, then bragging rights matter. I want to be able to smirk at the guy in the next cubicle talking about how awesome his 328i xDrive is.

So, why is it so? The transmission is strong enough, so I don't think they are worried abut it self-destructing. My guess, the transmission is a compromise to keep the gas mileage (which I would think could be better) in check with the parts they had on hand at the price point they were hitting. Would the buyer be willing to pay $2000 more per unit to get a better transmission / drivetrain / adaptive shocks? Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the real world, needing to shift to 3rd to reach 60 really only takes a hit to the bragging rights. This same thing happened to the WRX when for any number of reasons Subaru engineers determined it needed to shift into 3rd at 59 mph. For all practical purposes it changed nothing about the car, except that people bought it for impractical purposes.

When the whole sporting aspect is the reason why you spent $10,000 more for THIS Fusion over the identical looking one right next to it, then bragging rights matter. I want to be able to smirk at the guy in the next cubicle talking about how awesome his 328i xDrive is.

So, why is it so? The transmission is strong enough, so I don't think they are worried abut it self-destructing. My guess, the transmission is a compromise to keep the gas mileage (which I would think could be better) in check with the parts they had on hand at the price point they were hitting. Would the buyer be willing to pay $2000 more per unit to get a better transmission / drivetrain / adaptive shocks? Maybe, maybe not.
I get what your saying, but I'm certainly looking for more than just bragging rights if I'm spending, as you say, $10000 more. And many of us feel it delivers much more. Plus for a lot less than $10000 more. A similarly equipped Titanium is within $3000 of the Sport. Closer to 2 if you add the optional wheels to be closer to what the Sport has.
You can't say we're paying $10000 more than a 2 wheel drive Fusion se for just it's performance differences.(well you can and did but...it doesn't stand up)

I like to think you maybe right on gas mileage being a component to why the stock Sport isn't faster.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only thing I can say negatively about 0-60 times (because I like them, especially in conjunction with trap speeds and times) is that they've become too close to each other. When a car is significantly "faster" or "slower" and there's only a 2-3 tenths of a second difference, that's statistically meaningless; it's just too close for any kind of margin of error. Differences of a half a second or more, though, are noticeable and worth identifying. And that's only another 2-3 tenths of a second there, so it is still a useful metric in my opinion.

I like 0-60 times because they are an idealized benchmark. It's kind of a pure "how fast is the car" thing. It's always impressive to see something you think is fast and then think just how much faster something else is. It's even better with a 1/4 mile but even that has drawbacks. And there will always be variables and drawbacks; we just pick a standard and account for as much as we can.

As far as the Fusion specifically is concerned, by closing the price gap to only 2-3000, it's even more reasonable to say the difference between the Sport and the Titanium is bragging rights that the Sport is faster. They'll both be comfortable as ****, but the primary thing you pay more for is the extra two cylinders and all that motive power.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a Titanium on order but switched to a Sport. (Ordered 8/15)
I think the extra power is nice, OK really nice, but I also switched because the Sport seemed quieter (in normal mode) and the handling is much better (CCD works in all modes). AWD is a plus. If it was just more power, I’m not sure I would have switched, but the “Sport Package” as a whole is well worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get what your saying, but I'm certainly looking for more than just bragging rights if I'm spending, as you say, $10000 more. And many of us feel it delivers much more. Plus for a lot less than $10000 more. A similarly equipped Titanium is within $3000 of the Sport. Closer to 2 if you add the optional wheels to be closer to what the Sport has.
You can't say we're paying $10000 more than a 2 wheel drive Fusion se for just it's performance differences.(well you can and did but...it doesn't stand up)

I like to think you maybe right on gas mileage being a component to why the stock Sport isn't faster.
Maybe I wasn't as clear as you were. I tried to say basically that same thing. If all we wanted is a car that looked like a Fusion, we could get that for $10k less. If you want performance, then how you personally define performance is what will matter. Its a great car regardless of 0-60 time, but if that is a critical performance metric to you, then that just might be a deal killer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts