Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Folks, I need some education, so here goes. Our stock throttle body has bore size of 60mm. I have read in our forums and on some of the other online posts, that some folks are changing out to a 65mm or 70mm bore. My question is if you up-size the throttle body without changing out the size of the pipe coming out of the FMIC, how much improvement can there really be?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Best thing you can do is have the stock one modded, 60 mm is pretty big given were dealing with a 164 C.I. engine. granted it forced inducted, but you can clean up the bore and get pretty good gains far as the TB goes. I did my own and it made a difference. Not huge, but a gain is a gain. I,ve been cleaning up the bores on all my cars n trucks since the early 2000's with the exception of my 03 SD 7.3 diesel, and I could tell I gained something.

Reactions: maydk65

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went with the modified stock TB. Much less expensive than BBK, etc. and once you take a look inside the actual intake manifold and see that it looks like the backside of a Lego block in there, it’s obvious the priority is volume not flow. Once the throttle bore is equal to the intake manifold inlet bore (63.25mm? I think someone on these forums actually mic’d it), you’re as far as you can go. There’s no way to bore out that thermoplastic.

Reactions: maydk65

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that Tracy Lewis offers the "ported" TB. I assumed that is tooled to the 63.25mm that Shawnski mentioned. Their website does not spell it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Port matching would definately be a step in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Maxbore will bore out the stock unit to 65mm for under 200 bucks , the intake manifold opening is just under 65mm so in my mind no need to go larger then 65mm that being said I started with the Cordova TB unit and liked it had better throttle response over the stock unit , I have now switched to the BBK unit and only a slight difference was felt over the Cordova TB , if go I had to do it over again the Maxbore unit is the way to go for the price. BBK claims 8 to 12 hp for the TB
20200810_140039.jpg bbk.jpg
not sure I believe it ! just my 2 cents
20200818_102854.jpg cordova tb.jpg

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
On the Cordova unit the biggest thing you will see if the upper TB shaft was cut out and the inside of tb was smoothed out the rest of the tb is stock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts