Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not starting a thread on the effectiveness of TB Spacers but if you want to drop you opinion here about them you are more than welcome.

With that being said I have been looking at a lot of info about our throttle bodies and spacers. In all the reading I see the "TB Spacers" for the 2.7L all state they fit 2.7/3.5L Ecoboost(tt). Hmmm I wonder... So I started tracking down TB specs for the 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboosts.

2.7L Technical Data:
FS Factory TB 60mm
FS Aftermarket TB 65mm

3.5L Technical Data:
Factory TB 68mm
Aftermarket TB 73mm

Do you see where I am going with this?

Can we run (bolt-on) the 3.5L 68mm TB on our 2.7L Ecoboost?
The TB connector orientation may pose a challenge as it appears to be 180 from the 2.7L TB. But if the spacers bolt right up and service both the 2.7L and 3.5L engines shouldn't the throttle body also bolt up?

A factory replacement 3.5L TB is one half the cost of the BBK aftermarket part.

While I know it isn't exactly like swapping carbs I just wonder if it isn't a possibility. Going to see if I can run down a wiring diagram of the TB connectors to compare.

This is what happens when you can't sleep and have time on your hands at 3 o'clock in the morning...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting. The person to ask is probably Torrie at Unleashed. He can probably give you a good answer as to what it will take to make it work and possibly what kind of benefits you might see.

This seems like it might be a decent upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I refuse to buy the BBK one at this point. I was the one that alerted them that the 2.3 Ecoboost 65mm tb is compatible with the 2.7. Promised me to test one out and I could keep it. They strung me along for a few weeks. Then ignored any further communication and have since marketed to the 2.7 segment.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So finally this morning I swung into the local Autozone and got one of the girls to grab a 2017 F-150 3.5EB throttle body off the shelf so I could do a quick bolt pattern to my throttle body spacer I have for the 2.7. When she opened the box I knew right a way it wasn't gonna match up. That thing is HUGE compared to the 2.7L. So much for a quick upgrade. Back to the drawing board for a inexpensive larger replacement.

While I was at it I also did a little parts comparison to the MKZ parts and our TH, Intakes Manifold and Intake Manifold Gasket are the same part numbers.

So it looks like our only options currently are the BBK 65mm TB or the Cordova TB optimization.

Reactions: Pinky023

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to pull my TB off and measure that manifold opening.

Best price I have found on the Ford 70mm TB is HERE

Reactions: cockerdogs

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I had a couple minutes so here we go...

TB External:

TB Internal:

TB Exit:

Manifold Opening:

Intercooler to TB Pipe Internal:

Intercooler to TB Pipe External:

So this information I'm not sure what gains we will currently achieve without a replacement intake manifold that has a larger opening especially the 70mm version. Thought?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Same thing I found, 60mm is stock; I could not get the link you had to open, best price I found was levittown ford at $517, gulp...not sure if a FBO sport needs the TB or not, can't say if it is a restriction or not. I have been told TB's are not as crucial as on other FI setups.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Diminishing returns IMO, that kind of coin is half some perf summer tires or an intercooler.
(both of which would return much better on the investment, IMO)
and with the small IC pipes/turbos, how much is it going to really flow.

Ideally, you should check the flow of the turbos @ some reasonable efficiency
and see if they can even outflow the throttle body.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Agree, not sure how or where one would find the data on flow vs TB restriction.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Concur, not sure how one would find the data of flow vs TB restriction.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Does anyone have any datalogs before/after the TB, specifically for the pressure drop across the throttle?

It'd be simple to look at Manifold pressure, TIP inlet pressure, before and after the TB install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts