Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped the thermostat in their 2.7? That motor mount looks like a hassle to remove for something that should be a simple task. I am thinking the Reische 170 would help lower the temps for the trans fluid and Ptu as well as help cool off the turbochargers and engine more. My experience has been that the ECT tends to run around 180F with the Reische on the 3.5 SHO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
T-stat is easy to replace. Obviously you need to drain coolant first, there is draincock on the driver side of the radiator. Then remove the coolant tank, once its out get your floor jack and support the engine under the oil pan. Next remove the passenger side motor mount, there is some 15mm and 18 mm bolts holding it on. Once the mount is off you will have easy access to the t-stat by removing the 2 bolts that hold on the t-stat housing. It should only take 1 hour to do everything.

This is the stat Im using:

https://ecobeastbillet.com/products/the-rat-stat-170-degree-thermostat-f150-mustang

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ect was running around 212 - 220. With new tstat and tune adjusted to turn on fans earlier it runs around 178-190

·
Registered
563 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
563 Posts
He can control the ECT on my F150 and Expedition.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can tweak the fan settings with SCT or HPTuners or whatever Livernois/Torrie uses. I just don't want to mess with the motor mount. The plastic oil pan doesn't seem like it would like being held by a floor jack with wood blocks or a cushion.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can tweak the fan settings with SCT or HPTuners or whatever Livernois/Torrie uses. I just don't want to mess with the motor mount. The plastic oil pan doesn't seem like it would like being held by a floor jack with wood blocks or a cushion.
Dont be scared, that plastic pan is no joke. They are very strong. Just be gentle and only support the motor, and when you lift it, lift the motor softly. This is the same method all the Ford techs use.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the leak started because they supported the engine at the pan? I had to change the mounts on my Cobalt SS Turbo but the pan was a single piece of cast aluminum (like the SHO) instead of a pan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am about to install an 170 T-Stat. It came with an O ring. Did you need to use it or did you reuse the one already on the car? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
I just don't want to mess with the motor mount. The plastic oil pan doesn't seem like it would like being held by a floor jack with wood blocks or a cushion.
Are you talking about the RMM? No support needed to replace it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
LMS tune, stock stat, 200-203F coolant temp normal driving, 208-211F on pulls, returns to 200-203F within 5-10 seconds.

1. Would a 160F stat lower temps?
2. If yes how much, if any, gains would I see?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LMS tune, stock stat, 200-203F coolant temp normal driving, 208-211F on pulls, returns to 200-203F within 5-10 seconds.

1. Would a 160F stat lower temps?
2. If yes how much, if any, gains would I see?
On the SHO, a Reische 170 kept my ECT around 180 to 183. Didn't notice a reduction in knock or extra power. But it would help reduce trans fluid and PTU temp on the Fusion Sport.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts