Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the Thanksgiving weekend my wife and I decided to drive to College Station from Dallas to watch our beloved Texas A&M Aggies get spanked by LSU. It was the first time I really been able to take my Sport out on some wide open Texas freeways and I can't tell you how impressed I was. One of the first things I noticed was I got about 24 MPG. Now before you say that's not bad, or right around what the sticker says, let me preface it that both on the way out, and on the way back, I basically stayed in the left lane and relied on my near military radar protection and defusing system. For obvious reasons I won't say how fast I ran it up to, but in any other car I've had when you run at those speeds gas mileage plummets. Not the case. But that was not where I was more impressed than any car I've ever driven in my life. While most of the roads where pretty smooth, the ups and downs were constant at the higher speeds. I remember a trooper friend of mine telling me that speed is impossible to judge from a distance, but what they could tell was how much a car raised when it hit even the smallest incline at high speeds. So, they would sit with Binoculars and watch the grills of cars raise to decide who to "gun". Since I was not really in a hurry I felt no need to put the car in "S" mode when I realized the high speeds were causing the car to raise significantly. I remember reading about some of the things the button did, so I though what the ****. I'm not lying one bit to tell you that once I engaged Sport mode the car never moved. It was flat out amazing. I even had to show my wife, who is not a car person, the difference because it was so dramatic. Its something these articles never write about but you want to see how well this amazing car runs, take it out on the freeway and run it up to a decent cruising speed and toggle Sports mode. We have a few roads here where 80 is the posted limit, so you can figure the rest, but I'm telling you it was FLAT OUT AMAZING.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice write up. Can't wait to get ours on the highway.

·
Registered
868 Posts
For sure...if I am going above 65mph it is in sport mode. Feels so much more planted to the road and stable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
80 lucky to see 70 in Ohio usually 60-65. But I will be doing the experiment soon. Thanks I'm curious now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
80 lucky to see 70 in Ohio usually 60-65.
Ohio ******* blows. The cops are such dicks in this state. drives me nuts. I use more attention sometimes watching out for those cockroaches sitting in a speed trap than I do on the road. There are so many idiots on their phones, weaving in and out of lanes and not paying attention, but god forbid someone do 66 in a 60. seriously. speeding tickets are a joke. /rant over/

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ohio ******* blows. The cops are such dicks in this state. drives me nuts. I use more attention sometimes watching out for those cockroaches sitting in a speed trap than I do on the road. There are so many idiots on their phones, weaving in and out of lanes and not paying attention, but god forbid someone do 66 in a 60. seriously. speeding tickets are a joke. /rant over/

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can confirm, S mode plants the car to the ground at 65+ and it doesn't effect mileage on the highway, I've already taken a few 400+ mile trips through the mountains in PA. Honestly, the first thing I do after turning the car on is put it into Sport mode, I wont drive it any other way hahaha

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
S is only going to effect gear changes and such. High speed cruising on the highway will not be changed as you will still be in 6th gear. Its the acceleration that will see the changes.

So what that means is if you wait until you are at speed, then turn on Sport mode, nothing will happen with your gas mileage. If you turn on Sport mode right away, you will see higher RPMs before shifts, which in turn will lead to a lower fuel mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gas Mileage

I got 25mpg the entire trip..it was amazing because I thought for sure the increase in speed would have an impact.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm at 3k and I think I'm the only sport driver that has never used my sport mode lol.. Its so **** fats in regular mode that I have just not had the need to yet.. maybe when ii het 5K

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm at 3k and I think I'm the only sport driver that has never used my sport mode lol.. Its so **** fats in regular mode that I have just not had the need to yet.. maybe when ii het 5K
I have only used it a few times to see the difference. I agree with you, it is fine in regular mode that I can pass people, I can still have fun anyways, I have only gone in sport to see what the differences are and mess around.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Do you guys ever use Sport mode just for the suspension? On the highway I feel the car is too floaty for the fast turns in highway, so I usually put it in Sport Mode and pull the right paddle shifter to lock the car into 6th gear.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Do you guys ever use Sport mode just for the suspension? On the highway I feel the car is too floaty for the fast turns in highway, so I usually put it in Sport Mode and pull the right paddle shifter to lock the car into 6th gear.
I don't have any even remotely sharp turns on the freeway that I drive, so I don't have any need to be in sport.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
can you elaborate on that?
When you hit the paddle, you now control the shift points until you cancel it. So, by hitting the upshift, it will put you in control of it (for the most part) and you can lock it in 6th gear so it won't continually downshift on hills, etc. and keep gas mileage decent.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting, never thought of using it that way!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts