Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too early to start compiling a wish list for the next Fusion Sport? I think not. Here's a few things I'm hoping for, all within what I'd consider to be a realistic realm given the current price point and mission of the car.

1) Weight loss. This would represent the most bang for the buck as it would help with every performance metric. Ford has successfully shaved hundreds of pounds of the F-150 so hopefully they can do something similar here.

2) More performance oriented transmission. I will leave the details open, but something built with the mission of the car in mind would be great. A nice bonus would be paddle shifters that are actually useful.

3) Upgraded interior. I would apply this to both the quality of materials as well as the overall interior build quality. The Fusion is falling behind in this area. More color choices would also be welcome. When GM interiors are looking consistently better than yours, it's time to get to work.

4) Exterior build quality. I like the exterior styling of this car, but I've yet to see one that doesn't have noticeable misalignment in the exterior trim, body panels, etc. Come on Ford, this is really becoming inexcusable.

5) More differentiated/ aggressive styling. I don't want the FS to look like a failed SEMA experiment, but a bit more differentiation from the regular Fusions would be nice.

6) More drive mode options. The current Sport mode is nice, but it would be great to have more customization options. Within those options could be an all out performance mode with launch control.

7) Modest power bump. This car really doesn't need this if the above items are addressed, but psychologically it's nice to get a power upgrade with a new model. I'd be completely satisfied with 350 hp/ 400 tq.

Of course I could keep going but if most of the above were addressed, I could see myself getting into another Sport when my current lease is up. What would you guys like to see in the next generation?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is it too early to start compiling a wish list for the next Fusion Sport? I think not. Here's a few things I'm hoping for, all within what I'd consider to be a realistic realm given the current price point and mission of the car.

1) Weight loss. This would represent the most bang for the buck as it would help with every performance metric. Ford has successfully shaved hundreds of pounds of the F-150 so hopefully they can do something similar here.

2) More performance oriented transmission. I will leave the details open, but something built with the mission of the car in mind would be great. A nice bonus would be paddle shifters that are actually useful.

3) Upgraded interior. I would apply this to both the quality of materials as well as the overall interior build quality. The Fusion is falling behind in this area. More color choices would also be welcome. When GM interiors are looking consistently better than yours, it's time to get to work.

4) Exterior build quality. I like the exterior styling of this car, but I've yet to see one that doesn't have noticeable misalignment in the exterior trim, body panels, etc. Come on Ford, this is really becoming inexcusable.

5) More differentiated/ aggressive styling. I don't want the FS to look like a failed SEMA experiment, but a bit more differentiation from the regular Fusions would be nice.

6) More drive mode options. The current Sport mode is nice, but it would be great to have more customization options. Within those options could be an all out performance mode with launch control.

7) Modest power bump. This car really doesn't need this if the above items are addressed, but psychologically it's nice to get a power upgrade with a new model. I'd be completely satisfied with 350 hp/ 400 tq.

Of course I could keep going but if most of the above were addressed, I could see myself getting into another Sport when my current lease is up. What would you guys like to see in the next generation?
Nice post... I'd like to add to your numbers

Weight loss 1) I'm sure having the AWD system adds some weight to the mix. Personally for an AWD family sedan style car, it doesn't seem over heavy.

Performance Tranny 2) Good point! I can see ford putting that new Ford/GM 10 speed in the next gen fusion sport.

Upgraded Interior 3) I feel we're already getting a bang for the buck (33k give or take) in this AWD Performance Sedan. If you want an upgraded interior, you'd probably have to start looking at the MKZ at around 41k. Ford probably doesn't want to come any closer to their Luxury lineup then they already are.

Exterior Build quality 4) Yeah totally, That's a quality control point. It sucks, we shouldn't have to worry about that from a car straight from the factory. Maybe QC team should look harder into this

5) Would be cool :) Then again, it wouldn't be such a sleeper anymore!

6) More drive options would be nice. Maybe different AWD algorithms as well. For instance, subaru has their X-Drive for intense situations.

7) That power bump will most likely get trickled down from Lincolns MKZ eventually. If history repeats itself, I'd say the 3.0 Twin Turbo 400HP will eventually make its way down, nerfed slightly. Maybe 375 or 385hp instead of 400.

In all honestly, the only thing on my wish list for the next fusion sport would be quality control. Most important your point #4, generally all around. That battery drain issue on the forums is annoying and gut wrenching. There's no way the engineers shouldn't have figured out the cause by now, and released a TSB. I have a feeling it's not more of a common issue because most people with a beautiful new car aren't gonna gonna leave it sitting for more than 4 days =)

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
88 Posts
Since there's probably no point in pining for a manual transmission (or a hatch/wagon option), that fancy Magneride from the GT350 would be nice. And the AWD system from the RS. And of course, more power. I have no qualms with the styling inside or out.

The only downfall to having this car is that I'll never be able to go back to the 2.0, as excellent of a motor as it is.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Drive train is at the top of my list. 8 speed (as stated earlier), and better torque management that utilizes the available power/torque better. This would also include USEFUL paddles... SMH.

Second would be weight savings... crap, even 100 pounds!

Third I'd like to see some quality control up in this b**ch.

Fourth and beyond: More power (nothing a tune can't handle), Interior styling (I don't mind it and am impartial to a change), exterior styling (again, I like it and am impartial to a change), a sport wagon.... I mean that Mondeo Wagon is SEXY!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is a good looking wagon, too bad it wont come over here. Americans only care about SUVs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Upgraded Interior 3) I feel we're already getting a bang for the buck (33k give or take) in this AWD Performance Sedan. If you want an upgraded interior, you'd probably have to start looking at the MKZ at around 41k. Ford probably doesn't want to come any closer to their Luxury lineup then they already are.
I wouldn't be looking for something to compete with an Audi A6 interior, but from both a build quality and materials quality standpoint, the Fusion interior is falling behind other cars in the class. That fact that none of our interior front door trim pieces match up correctly to the dash is just embarrassing. I actually think they made some good decisions elsewhere; there are soft touch materials everywhere where you'd want them (special kudos for the strip along the console where you can rest your right leg), and I like the black plastic trim pieces with the somewhat metallic finish, which are essentially fingerprint proof. There are just too many misses to accept when many other manufacturers are getting this right in the same price range.

As an aside, I'd be fine with losing the faux carbon fiber trim as well. I've never understood the mandatory carbon fiber thing in sport vehicles. Even real carbon fiber looks cheap and fake to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sport wagon would be the ****.

I think the only thing I feel is really lacking is the trans. Give me a 7+ speeder and paddles that don't communicate via morse code with the transmission. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

(I'd like better gas mileage but I understand that that's a burden of the beast.)

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd really love to see all leather seats, and something like the new Raptor engine to go with the upgraded tranni everyone's talking about

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, i was so excited to see the car, last week i actually LOOKED at my car. The doors are aligned pretty poorly.

If it wasn't for that big BATTERY thread, i'd really love this car.

I dread going in to start it every morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No issues here especially for the price point (which sounds like a lot until you compare it)
Only thing on my wish list is better gearing for better mpg on highway maybe new 9 speed?!
More power is always welcome
Styling could be more aggressive!

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 on the highway gearing. this car has more than enough power/torque to be able to do 70 MPH below 2k RPM.

Honestly, I don't think it really needs more gears, just better spacing of the 6 it has and a bit taller final drive ratio wouldn't hurt

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
I've seen many fusions with slightly misaligned doors, but mine thankfully all line up. There are a few very minor things, such as the label inside my air filter, or the black piece slightly in front of the radiator, but other than those I have no major panel gaps, nothing is misaligned, nothing rattles (headliner/glasses holder did for the first 1000 miles, I'm now at 4000).

Really my only gripe is the gearing, but again not major. The suspension could be stiffer in both modes, but that's just my taste. All I know is I wouldn't trade this car for anything.

Reactions: elronino and 1153

·
Registered
447 Posts
NO matter what they make folks will complain and say its not good enough lol.. I am in focus RS forums and all they do is complain about what is wrong with it lol...

Realistic definite changes I can see are:

1. Weight reduction for sure
2. 8 speed tranny for sure
3. Small power bump
4. Small style change but not dramatic

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really like my Sport but my guess is they'll give it the 3.0 from the Lincoln MKZ, and what I'd really like to see, a DCT. I'm perfectly happy with my car but reading between the lines on MKZ reviews, that 3.0 is a honey! Of course a lot would depend on what the other makes do!

Ken

·
Registered
49 Posts
A related question is how much you would pay for a new Sport with these improvements. Brianjh20 hit the nail on the head when he said it feels like a lot until you look at similar features in competitive cars. Then it is a deal. I would like better responsiveness in non-sport mode when I need power to pass. The gear decision and change take a while. Shouldn't that be a small matter of programming (SMOP) to have faster response?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A related question is how much you would pay for a new Sport with these improvements. Brianjh20 hit the nail on the head when he said it feels like a lot until you look at similar features in competitive cars. Then it is a deal. I would like better responsiveness in non-sport mode when I need power to pass. The gear decision and change take a while. Shouldn't that be a small matter of programming (SMOP) to have faster response?
My guess is they would just need to have it do one more downshift. I think the responsiveness is there, I just think in non sport mode it doesn't downshift as far as it will in sport mode.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agree an 8 to 10 speed tranny would make a big difference, this is the new standard in the industry now unless you are buying entry level.
All of the body panels on ours are aligned perfectly, that was something that I looked at before purchase.
Not much else on my wish list so far. Except as always more power.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really like my Sport but my guess is they'll give it the 3.0 from the Lincoln MKZ, and what I'd really like to see, a DCT. I'm perfectly happy with my car but reading between the lines on MKZ reviews, that 3.0 is a honey! Of course a lot would depend on what the other makes do!

Ken
I think Ford is finally serious about keeping some significant differentiation between the Lincoln and Ford brands, so I expect them to keep the 2.7 in the Fusion Sport and the 3.0 in the MKZ. While I'd love to have the 3.0 in the Sport, it's currently one of the major reasons to step up to the MKZ; I don't see Lincoln being happy about changing that.

Regarding all of the mileage and transmission wishes people have posted, that new 9 speed *should* take care of both. There are plenty of gears for better performance gearing as well as high mileage overdrive gears (I think the 10 speed on the new f-150 has 3 overdrive gears.) Let's hope Ford gets that one right; I think it might be what we would all choose if could only have one things changed about this car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts