Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won the Street Tire class at Dragway 42 in West Salem OH on a Thursday night. Got a total of 3 time trials, and six rounds of eliminations. The last three rounds were within a thirty minute time frame, so despite air temps dropping rapidly, my car was terribly heat soaked. Only eked out a 12.9287 ET on the final run, but cut an all time personal best R/T of .0245 to win. Transmission has been acting up and it was slurring the 2-3 shift badly, holding down my best ET for the night to 12.6377 @ 109.04 mph. (Typically runs low 12.40s) Once I got into the eliminations I coasted a couple finishes to keep from breaking out and had to be careful with my dial ins. Overall, the best I ever drove, if not the best the car performed. I think the chances of a repeat are slim to none, so I’m basking in self-satisfaction for the weekend. Have a great holiday weekend everybody!!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
I won the Street Tire class at Dragway 42 in West Salem OH on a Thursday night. Got a total of 3 time trials, and six rounds of eliminations. The last three rounds were within a thirty minute time frame, so despite air temps dropping rapidly, my car was terribly heat soaked. Only eked out a 12.9287 ET on the final run, but cut an all time personal best R/T of .0245 to win. Transmission has been acting up and it was slurring the 2-3 shift badly, holding down my best ET for the night to 12.6377 @ 109.04 mph. (Typically runs low 12.40s) Once I got into the eliminations I coasted a couple finishes to keep from breaking out and had to be careful with my dial ins. Overall, the best I ever drove, if not the best the car performed. I think the chances of a repeat are slim to none, so I’m basking in self-satisfaction for the weekend. Have a great holiday weekend everybody!!
Congratulations! That's great driving skill. I bet that was exciting!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I’ve been eliminated in the first round every single time I’ve raced this season until Thursday night, so I’m pretty stoked to finally break the curse!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back to the track tonight. The temps are predicted to be ten degrees cooler at race time this week versus last week, but humidity is 99% right now and foggy. It was 85% last week at race time, and I'm sure it will burn off a bit by 6pm today.

I seriously doubt I can repeat a class win again, but I am hoping this cooler weather could get me into a personal best ET/MPH unless the air density undermines the cool temps...I'd be the happiest loser at the track if I could make 12.20s!

I had my car into the mechanic this Tuesday and they found the transmission leak that I couldn't find the source of - it was coming from between the two halves of the transmission case. They re-torqued all the bolts, changed the fluid and found no metal, but pepper-like particles which I believe is clutch material. That would explain the smeared 2-3 shift; perhaps the clutch material is glazed.I also had the PTU fluid changed at that time, and it was in great shape, no metal, no burning of the fluid. They tell me that my particular PTU is holding up better in that regard than any other they have experience with so that was good news.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Wish our track was open , sounds like a bunch of fun , next track day for us is December
11th ouch

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made it to the quarterfinals Thursday night but lost my focus at the starting line and got knocked out. Humidity was over 85%, temps were cool, and the air was damp. The big dogs were all struggling badly for traction. Many red lights as guys kept airing down and trying to tree their opponents. Even I was spinning on every launch.

I was spotting my opponent more than a second, and I’m sitting there on the brakes, locked & loaded at 2500 rpm. He left and I heard my rpms climbing - I reflexively glanced at my tach and the light dropped. He ran off his dial and I almost caught him but .5 RT is hard to recover from unless the other guy screws up!

Up to that point the track announcer was calling me “the man on a mission to defeat the muscle cars” haha! I’m thinking I like that moniker!

Everyone was getting excited because I was knocking out the other heavy hitters over the first four rounds, and they thought I was going to pull off a back-to-back win. Nobody in street class has won b2b yet this season.

I just fouled up. It sucked.
I took some consolation that nobody came up afterward and said “oh tough break” or “it happens to everyone”. They’ve started to respect the FuSport enough to be happy when I lose!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts