Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are threads about seeing other Sports but, I'm wondering what are Ford's production numbers on the car? When I found mine, I looked high and low and at least here in Texas there were only 60 or so new 2018 Sports within a 500 mile range. Only 8 were or sale within a 200 mile range. Looking on Auto Trader just now there are 72 within 500 mile radius for sale.

The Sport kinda reminds me of the Contour SVT. That too was an unloved child of Ford's but, a great car nonetheless. People are too quick to discount the Sport for it's shortcomings rather than laud it for what it is. It has gotten great reviews. I wonder why it simply is not selling better? My new Sport sat on the lot unloved for 6 months before I rescued her.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know there are threads about seeing other Sports but, I'm wondering what are Ford's production numbers on the car? When I found mine, I looked high and low and at least here in Texas there were only 60 or so new 2018 Sports within a 500 mile range. Only 8 were or sale within a 200 mile range. Looking on Auto Trader just now there are 72 within 500 mile radius for sale.

The Sport kinda reminds me of the Contour SVT. That too was an unloved child of Ford's but, a great car nonetheless. People are too quick to discount the Sport for it's shortcomings rather than laud it for what it is. It has gotten great reviews. I wonder why it simply is not selling better? My new Sport sat on the lot unloved for 6 months before I rescued her.
I found a lot around when I was looking in 2016/2017. I didn't even know they existed until I saw one on a lot. I test drove them several times and was offered one stickered at 41625 for 34k out the door. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it though as I was not pleased with the stereo in it and some other things. Someone suggested the mkz to me so I went down to check out the stereo and just sitting down in that fully optioned reserve sealed the deal for me. I had to have it. So I saved for another year and placed my deposit and ordered a black label in April. She just came back from getting the paint fixed and ceramic coated and now sits in the garage waiting for the coating to fully cure before taking her out in the rain. 20180712_223836.jpeg

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Sport kinda reminds me of the Contour SVT.
Wow, the Contour SVT. There's a car I haven't seen in a while. Amazing though, that was considered a "performance" car back then, and it was only rated at 200HP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Honesty, I think it's that Ford answered a question that nobody asked. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that Ford did it.

At it's core it's a Midsize Sedan that competes with Mazda6, Malibu, Accord, Camry, Altima and Sonata/Optima. None of those cars have a dedicated sport model like the FS. The Accord 2.0T and new Mazda6 Turbo are kind of Sporty, they still are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

So, midsize shippers are probably not looking for it. Yet, in the space where it's spec's DO line-up (3 Series, A4/S4, Q50 and Lexus IS), it probably wouldn't be cross-shopped by those premium brand shoppers either. 1. they probably aren't thinking "FORD" and 2. if they were considering a Ford product, it would be the MKZ, as it would be a premium to premium brand comparison.

Sadly, it will probably by like the Contour SVT where it is more sought after when it's gone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I know the Accord has a Sport version. the magazines compared the FS to
it and the Toyota.
The Camry's closest comparison is the XSE V6 model that has a 301 HP V6, but only 267 Ft. Lb of torque.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know the Accord has a Sport version. the magazines compared the FS to
it and the Toyota.
The Camry's closest comparison is the XSE V6 model that has a 301 HP V6, but only 267 Ft. Lb of torque.
Yeah, some magazine do make that comparison. However, the FS is more money (sticker), has AWD and a suspension system that the others don't. I don't think they are really comparable.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A huge impact to all of this as well is a lack of advertisement and marketing.

Any Ford Fusion showing up in a commercial is always the Sport, but they never really discuss what it is. From my understandings, only around 5% of Fusions are Sport models. They don't have anyone buying it, cause no one (except car people who stay on the up and up with youtube videos and magazines) no that it is anything different from any other Fusion.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just caught this one in the parking lot today on my way to the clinic. You can see my lincoln barely peaking over the top of it in the background. 20180718_095559_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Honesty, I think it's that Ford answered a question that nobody asked. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that Ford did it.

At it's core it's a Midsize Sedan that competes with Mazda6, Malibu, Accord, Camry, Altima and Sonata/Optima. None of those cars have a dedicated sport model like the FS. The Accord 2.0T and new Mazda6 Turbo are kind of Sporty, they still are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

So, midsize shippers are probably not looking for it. Yet, in the space where it's spec's DO line-up (3 Series, A4/S4, Q50 and Lexus IS), it probably wouldn't be cross-shopped by those premium brand shoppers either. 1. they probably aren't thinking "FORD" and 2. if they were considering a Ford product, it would be the MKZ, as it would be a premium to premium brand comparison.

Sadly, it will probably by like the Contour SVT where it is more sought after when it's gone.
Ford likes having these under the radar performance mid sized cars, the Gen 1-3 Taurus SHO is a perfect example. The yahama 3.0 is an amazing motor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those of us in the metro detroit area must be spoiled, because I see them at least once a week on the work commute out here. I also have a neighbor down the street with identical year and color.

·
Registered
2017 FF Sport
5 Posts
I’ve never seen another one here in Roanoke, VA. I love mine. Second Fusion I’ve owned. It’s definitely a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Those of us in the metro detroit area must be spoiled, because I see them at least once a week on the work commute out here. I also have a neighbor down the street with identical year and color.

Where are you in Detroit? We should meet up. I have space on Woodward for the cruise if you go to the DreamCruise. PM me. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
So far I have spotted only three (maybe four) others either in my area, or in transit.

One was at the dealership I bought mine, Crossroads Ford in Kernersville, NC. However, that may be the same car that I see in Winston-Salem. Also a shadow black like mine.
Another I saw was coming down 421 from Boone, NC. It was a ruby red.
Saw another shadow black on Saturday heading Eastbound on I-40.

So I have no idea if those last two are "in my area" or just passing through.

You're right though, there's almost zero mention of the Sport model in any of Ford's marketing. It's always "The 2018 Ford Fusion..."

My Sport still surprises me to this day, and I've had it over a year. I absolutely love that "pushed back in the seat" feeling when hitting the gas!

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are you in Detroit? We should meet up. I have space on Woodward for the cruise if you go to the DreamCruise. PM me. :)
I'm near Detroit, do you have some cruise plans more? I would like to try to make a tour and test my new Mustang Mach-E. I have a friend who is working with site operations and he found one about the best crossovers. Thanks to him I bought my Mustang at a very good price and I haven't tried it for long distances and would like to do it. I have been working so hard in order to buy such car and I really need a restart. So if you are still in let's talk in PM.

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport Black
26 Posts
Wow, the Contour SVT. There's a car I haven't seen in a while. Amazing though, that was considered a "performance" car back then, and it was only rated at 200HP.
only 200 :) and the Mustang made 260?

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport Black
26 Posts
I'm near Detroit, do you have some cruise plans more? I would like to try to make a tour and test my new Mustang Mach-E. I have a friend who is working with site operations and he found one about the best crossovers. Thanks to him I bought my Mustang at a very good price and I haven't tried it for long distances and would like to do it. I have been working so hard in order to buy such car and I really need a restart. So if you are still in let's talk in PM.
I still say that Ford should've made the Mach-E a Fusion-E instead... :)

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport Black
26 Posts
Ya Fusion -E has a nice ring to it.
And that way... it wouldn't upset the Mustang crowd and would excite us Fusion people :) and those like me who are both Mustang and Fusion owners would be even happier.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts